True dynamic expression

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
This is a subject I've been meaning to bring up for a while now. After seeing today's posts related to that - e.g. see here - I decided to go ahead... So, what do I mean by true dynamic expression and how does it differ from dynamic headroom, dynamic range, or dynamics in general.

To me, there is a major distinction: dynamic headroom (and its derivatives) is an overloaded term, and in most cases that I have seen, it's used to describe how OVERALL loud a system can get during a crescendo, without consideration to how realistic or not every instrument involved gets at the same time. And when everything just sounds bigger and louder - in fact, much bigger and louder - well, that I consider euphonic.

So this is the important distinction: with true dynamic expression, I would expect only those instruments responsible for it to increase in loudness and become more present, while everything else remains the same. This is what we clearly hear in a concert hall with unamplified music, when, say, the brass section or chorus suddenly "screams" over the rest of the orchestra, as the score dictates.

(I am not expressing any new ideas here, just clarifying and setting the stage). So, how many of you would say your system has true dynamic expression, though not necessarily ultimate dynamic range? How would you rate your amplifiers in that regard? Your source components? Speakers?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My system sails through the horn blast in A-Train (For Duke) for starters and through the much more difficult passages on Clarity's Witches Brew Box Set. I guess I do ok. :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
So this is the important distinction: with true dynamic expression, I would expect only those instruments responsible for it to increase in loudness and become more present, while everything else remains the same. This is what we clearly hear in a concert hall with unamplified music, when, say, the brass section or chorus suddenly "screams" over the rest of the orchestra, as the score dictates.

I agree. This is what I experience in my system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) So this is the important distinction: with true dynamic expression, I would expect only those instruments responsible for it to increase in loudness and become more present, while everything else remains the same. This is what we clearly hear in a concert hall with unamplified music, when, say, the brass section or chorus suddenly "screams" over the rest of the orchestra, as the score dictates. (...)

This is very relevant either in large orchestral pieces (the end of Shostakovitch 5th is one of my favorite examples) or in chamber music. In chamber music an instrument playing loud must disappear slowly without contaminating the space of others. In piano songs, such as Schubert wonderful Winterreise "Der Leiermann" (The organ grinder, the last song of the cycle), the piano tune dynamics can not interfere with the singer expression, otherwise it will spoil the drama of the song.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

lately I've been really enjoying some 15ips 1/4" master dubs of Ben Webster live in a jazz club in Europe in the late 70's; I have three of these tapes. these involve not only Ben's tenor 'live', but also the drum kit. and you have a piano and the ambient information. what's great is the lack of any limiting or compression in the tape. and they nailed it.

then there is the Jeton direct to disc 'Chris Barber Band', side 2, St Louis Blues. this 10 minute cut features a trombone and jazz guitar which then morphs into a full tilt boogie big band blast. a wild ride where the trombone taxes the dynamic range and subtlety of the deep bass and mid bass.

(I am not expressing any new ideas here, just clarifying and setting the stage). So, how many of you would say your system has true dynamic expression, though not necessarily ultimate dynamic range? How would you rate your amplifiers in that regard? Your source components? Speakers?

I'm happy with what I hear in this area. no apparent limits with amps, speakers or source. I do have exotic decoupling of sources to keep them linear at full tilt boogie.

I'd add that the amp-speaker relationship is essential for the dynamic expression. what happens with the 1st watt? and can that degree of delicacy be maintained if other things are pushing the limits? can the different threads of musical flow all exist without that loss of cohesion?

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
this subject is central to my audio agenda. thanks for bringing it up.

one really telling exercise is about once a month I visit a jazz club 5 minutes from my home, have dinner, listen for 20-30 minutes and then go right up the hill to home and listen.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
After a brief sojourn away from this forum, I have decided to jump back into the fray....:rolleyes:
Particularly since ack has brought up a very interesting and appropriate thread, IMHO.
As to dynamic expression, I have NEVER heard any system that can do justice to the 'real' sound of unamplified instruments in a concert hall. ( or for that matter in a private setting).
To demonstrate this, I have on numerous occasions played my acoustic steel string Dreadnought Taylor 810 guitar for the listener...and then a playback of the same instrument via either a reel or any other playback that the listener desires. The difference between the 'real' and the 'reproduced' is VERY obvious. The question is what is causing the vast difference in dynamic expression, amongst other issues?? Is it the speed of the speakers, the speed and power of the amp, the preamp, the front end loosing information or a combo of all of the above, or is it something completely different???? BTW, I have done this 'AB' on some of the best systems and no matter what the system, the difference is clear and indisputable.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't think anybody here is chasing the Quixotic dream of reproducing the actual event, whatever that is. I think we are all interested in a much lower target, a realistic portrayal. That is not to say that that in itself cannot provide highly satisfying experiences.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I don't think anybody here is chasing the Quixotic dream of reproducing the actual event, whatever that is. I think we are all interested in a much lower target, a realistic portrayal. That is not to say that that in itself cannot provide highly satisfying experiences.

My target is high. Go for the gold !

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I fully agree in the sense that you can't squeeze orange juice out of a lemon but whatever the juice is, it's useless unless you drink it :D

At some point you transduce the energy and that transformed energy will be propagated through a medium. How and how well that is done is the challenge.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I find that about 90% of the time when audiophiles talk about dynamics, they are really talking about distortion. This is because audio equipment distorts somewhat, and our ears interpret that as loudness, because they use the higher ordered harmonics rather than fundamentals to detect how loud a sound actually is.

So I avoid using the word as it has been abused too much and carries too much connotation.

I find that when a system is right, it can play loud without sounding loud. You find out how truly loud it actually is by finding yourself unable to be heard by someone sitting beside you unless you yell (or get a sound pressure level meter :)). That's how it should work. If someone tells you to 'turn it down, that's too loud', its a good indication that you may have a problem that is causing distortion.

A good example of this phenomena is the use of SETs, which often have a comment in the reviews about how they are way more dynamic than they should have any right to for their low power, or something to that effect. The reality is that they are not more dynamic than any other amp. What is really happening is psychoacoustics. Its all happening in the brain. This is because at about 20% of full power, the higher ordered harmonics (loudness cues) come into play- and they are generally showing up on transients. If OTOH the speakers used with SETs actually truly do have enough efficiency, this effect can be avoided to some degree. What this means is that for a 7-watt SET, you need about 103db or so in most rooms to really make it fly. Less than that and the amp is making too much distortion and will have 'dynamics'.

All amps suffer this issue to some degree (no one gets out alive- Jim Morrison)! It is possible to minimize this type of distortion in the design, but the designer has to be aware first of this issue and design accordingly. Unfortunately the result may not measure all that well on the bench as psychoacoustics take a back seat to bench measurements; thats the way the industry works right now...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Atmasphere, always appreciate your posts...very very clear, precise and educational. One of my all-time great experiences was listening to the Arrakis setup in Hong Kong...where Kurt Cobain on Nirvana Unplugged was effortless, full-sized and the CROWD behind him was a wall of people where even the 'best' systems i have heard really distort that opening track. Here, it was just a large crowd of people...and sure enough, just as you say, when i turned to the Dealer, i had to shout for him to hear me 3 feet away, and i could not hear my own voice (speaking at quiet room levels). But it was effortless in the room without any sense of 'the volume thrill' you get with, i suppose, a form of distortion that makes you feel like there is volume.

...like a car designed to move at 175+mph that is 'loafing' at 135-145mph...effortless, quiet (incredibly calm and deceivingly so actually!) vs an econo-car that is literally shaking itself to pieces trying to break 90mph. (i've been in both situations...autobahn in a topnotch car with all the tire pressure checked, and handled by an excellent driver...and a cabbie trying to get us to the airport so we dont miss our flight...you decide which is which! ;) )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing