Vertere HB Series usb cable

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Hi bvdiman,

I have not seen/got the Vertere HB ethernet cable yet. Hope that I can have an audition of it soon.

However, its net price may be around USD2500 whereas the price of AIM NA3 is now so low because of the low Yen. I got my AIM in Japan at <USD250!
Your description of AQ Diamond vs AIM is spot on. The Vertere HB has to be very very good to justify its price (although we all know that the best stuff are always unproportionally expensive).

CK

Wow, at the price I'll certainly wait for your impressions first before deciding.
Yeah, me think too that AIM is a bargain for its performance, bought mine around USD350 when Yen was still up there.
If the Vertere ethernet is a really really superb must-have cable, perhaps I can mention your name for superb deal then buy/order one. :D
*What length is 2,5k for?

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Hi CKKeung & bvdiman,

I phoned Vertere in UK and found out the price. The Vertere HB Ethernet retails in the UK for £1350 pounds (inc Vat/Tax), The Australia price is exactly the same as the UK price, AUD$2700 (inc GST/Tax). The Vertere web site is going to be updated and the new HB products (USB & Ethernet) should be shown sometime.

My dealer in Australia received a large shipment of other Vertere products, and apparently there was at least one HB Ethernet in the shipment, the shipment arrived only 2 days ago. I believe the shipment to Hong Kong dealer should arrive soon (maybe CKK can find out).

Anyway, I ordered the Vertere HB Ethernet from the Australian dealer. I have already paid for it and should be able to collect it in the next day or so once the funds clear at my dealer.

At the moment I am using a modest Supra (Cat7A) Ethernet, which I quite like. I have tried the AQ Cinnamon (at double the price of the Supra) – which I did not prefer. The AQ sounded a little lean and too neutral and somehow lacking in emotion, so I have stuck with the Supra Ethernet (around USD$50). The Supra is a little warmer, tonality richer and seems to convey emotions better. As my system is neutral sounding – the Supra is the better fit.

I have not tried the more expensive AQ Ethernets cables. I was thinking of getting the AIM a while back, but never got round to ordering it.

I have also read very good things about Absolute Creations DATA TIM RJ45 (another Ethernet cable) which people in Hong Kong seem prefer over the Audioquest Diamond. This cable retails in France for €600 euro.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CKKeung & bvdiman,
I phoned Vertere in UK and found out the price. The Vertere HB Ethernet retails in the UK for £1350 pounds (inc Vat/Tax), The Australia price is exactly the same as the UK price, AUD$2700 (inc GST/Tax). The Vertere web site is going to be updated and the new HB products (USB & Ethernet) should be shown sometime.
My dealer in Australia received a large shipment of other Vertere products, and apparently there was at least one HB Ethernet in the shipment, the shipment arrived only 2 days ago. I believe the shipment to Hong Kong dealer should arrive soon (maybe CKK can find out).
Anyway, I ordered the Vertere HB Ethernet from the Australian dealer. I have already paid for it and should be able to collect it in the next day or so once the funds clear at my dealer.
At the moment I am using a modest Supra (Cat7A) Ethernet, which I quite like. I have tried the AQ Cinnamon (at double the price of the Supra) – which I did not prefer. The AQ sounded a little lean and too neutral and somehow lacking in emotion, so I have stuck with the Supra Ethernet (around USD$50). The Supra is a little warmer, tonality richer and seems to convey emotions better. As my system is neutral sounding – the Supra is the better fit.
I have not tried the more expensive AQ Ethernets cables. I was thinking of getting the AIM a while back, but never got round to ordering it.
I have also read very good things about Absolute Creations DATA TIM RJ45 (another Ethernet cable) which people in Hong Kong seem prefer over the Audioquest Diamond. This cable retails in France for €600 euro.

Hi Jambo,

Yes, Chris of the Hong Kong Vertere dealer told me that the HB ethernet cable would arrive this week and I would get one for review.

AQ Diamond ethernet cable is not my cup of tea. It has a silvery sound, particularly the short version.

For Absolue Creations, I dont have strong confidence.
It's because I prefer my Totaldac usb cable to Absolue Creations TIM Ref usb cable though they are both in the same "musicality category".
Price of Totaldac usb cable is just 50% of Absolue Creations TIM Ref usb cable.

And Vertere HB usb cable completely KO my Totaldac usb cable in seconds!
Therefore I have high expectation on the Vertere HB ethernet cable.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Hi CKKeung,

My dealer also had very glowing things to say about the Vertere HB USB. Since I don’t use usb – I took his word for it.

I am very much looking forward to getting hold of the Vertere HB Ethernet, in the next day or so.

We’ll both have the Vertere HB Ethernet about the same time – hopefully we’ll both be able to compare notes – lets hope it lives up to expectations.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guys that is expensive for an ethernet cable. Do these cables make the same difference as an upgrade from a stock USB or power cord to an aftermarket cable?

Also, do you then upgrade your router?

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Hi bonzo75,

CKK has more experience than me with USB/Ethernet cables – so he’ll probably have a better answer for you.

I found that power cords seem to make a big difference – so have upgraded pretty much all of them in my system first.

As I don’t use USB – I can’t say how much and aftermarket USB cable would make. My gut feel (and reading various forums) seems to indicate that this will make a bigger difference than an Ethernet cable.

I was using a standard/good quality wifi router (netgear) and was happy with the sound. I then bought a switch (say £25 - £50) as I was running out of ports and left it out of ‘audio’ the circuit. On a whim (and reading somewhere about having a switch before the audio connection) I connect the streamer to the switch bypassing the router and noticed a slight uptake in sound quality, so now I prefer to go via the switch than via the router.

I also read that liner power supplies make a difference – so I ordered a custom made one from Hong Kong – This has 3 outputs, one for my NAS, one for my router and finally one for my switch. So all switch mode power supplies have been replaced by one liner power supply. Because I was changing a few things at the same time, I don’t know the impact it made – but at least that ‘area’ was taken care of. Of course there are plenty readymade ones to use.

I use a streamer/dac (CH Precision C1) with a direct Ethernet input hence the Ethernet cable. I decide to get the Supra Ethernet (£30 - which I got from the UK) to bypass the cheap Ethernet cables that are in use – I think this resents a good starting point and is much better than the standard throw away Ethernet cables and I noticed quite a nice increase in sound quality and this encouraged me to try something even better and now that all the upgrades have taken place – the only outanding item was the expensive Ethernet cable, as to how much impact it will make – I’ll only know when I have in my system, I’m hoping that it is significant.

Sorry about my long winded reply – maybe it answers some of your points.

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Thanks guys for the infos.. Waiting in anticipation further thoughts once you heard/compared them for a bit.
Though at the price, I'd expect at/near a component upgrade level type of improvements! :p Fingers crossed.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi bonzo75,
CKK has more experience than me with USB/Ethernet cables – so he’ll probably have a better answer for you.
I found that power cords seem to make a big difference – so have upgraded pretty much all of them in my system first.
As I don’t use USB – I can’t say how much and aftermarket USB cable would make. My gut feel (and reading various forums) seems to indicate that this will make a bigger difference than an Ethernet cable.
I was using a standard/good quality wifi router (netgear) and was happy with the sound. I then bought a switch (say £25 - £50) as I was running out of ports and left it out of ‘audio’ the circuit. On a whim (and reading somewhere about having a switch before the audio connection) I connect the streamer to the switch bypassing the router and noticed a slight uptake in sound quality, so now I prefer to go via the switch than via the router.
I also read that liner power supplies make a difference – so I ordered a custom made one from Hong Kong – This has 3 outputs, one for my NAS, one for my router and finally one for my switch. So all switch mode power supplies have been replaced by one liner power supply. Because I was changing a few things at the same time, I don’t know the impact it made – but at least that ‘area’ was taken care of. Of course there are plenty readymade ones to use.
I use a streamer/dac (CH Precision C1) with a direct Ethernet input hence the Ethernet cable. I decide to get the Supra Ethernet (£30 - which I got from the UK) to bypass the cheap Ethernet cables that are in use – I think this resents a good starting point and is much better than the standard throw away Ethernet cables and I noticed quite a nice increase in sound quality and this encouraged me to try something even better and now that all the upgrades have taken place – the only outanding item was the expensive Ethernet cable, as to how much impact it will make – I’ll only know when I have in my system, I’m hoping that it is significant.
Sorry about my long winded reply – maybe it answers some of your points.

Hi Jambo,

Are you in Australia? It seems that you are well-informed and have already installed most of the tweaks used by CAS audiophiles in Hong Kong. :)

Linear power-supply is very important in a CAS system. Is your custom-made psu made by Kenneth Lau in Hong Kong? His are the best in the market!

Installing a gigabit switch between the NAS/Router/streamer-dac can improve the sound. Maybe because it does some of the jobs of the router. The best gigabit switch used by audiophile is the Cisco brand.

Several frds of mine are using the CH C1 with ethernet card. They initially used AQ Diamond ethernet cables but then switched to Japanese AIM NA3. They claimed that AIM is better and cheaper.

I have tested/used many brands of USB cables. IMHO Vertere HB is the best in the market, surpassing some famous brands/models that are several times more expensive.
Therefore, I have high expectation on the Vertere HB ethernet cable.

Cheers,
CK

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Guys that is expensive for an ethernet cable. Do these cables make the same difference as an upgrade from a stock USB or power cord to an aftermarket cable?
Also, do you then upgrade your router?

Hi bonzo75,

Interesting question!
No CAS audiophile/magazine have done a shootout of routers yet. New router models are appearing too fast!

Anyway, IMO it's most important to replace the switching psu of router/switch/modem with linear power-supplies.

CK

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks guys for the infos.. Waiting in anticipation further thoughts once you heard/compared them for a bit.
Though at the price, I'd expect at/near a component upgrade level type of improvements! :p Fingers crossed.

Hi bvdiman,

Agree with you but please note that we are talking about the best ethernet cables for audiophile use so they won't be cheap.

It's of course more logical to put the investment in upgrading the components till the cables become the limiting factor of the whole system.

Cheers,
CK

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Vertere HB Ethernet sound impressions:

A few hours ago I collected my Vertere HB Ethernet cable. Straight away I plugged it between the CH C1 and my switch.

I have been listening to music for the past 3 hours with the cable in place.

As soon as the first song played - my initial first impression was- who just doubled the power of my amps.

The next thing I noticed was the wider/taller/deeper soundstage. I played a very familiar track, which quite an atmospheric sound – in that sound comes from many different places. With the cable in place the sound was coming from everywhere – left, right, top, back – it was coming from all round – the acoustic space was far bigger than I was used to.

Then there’s the bass – goes much deeper and has far much punch.

Prior to listening, I was worried that the treble may be too bright with this cable, all concerns were removed straight away. The cable is beautifully balanced nothing is out of place – it has a very coherent sound. This is a very musical sounding cable.

Then there’s the removing a few layers of veil – you are much closer/direct to the performer – I suppose you can say the transparency increased a fair bit. Voice sound far more real than before - much more detail (but not analytical) - very natural.

The musical impact – drums have so much more impact – in fact everything hits harder – I was quite shocked by the sheer physical power of the music. I had not noticed this before.

Of course I have only 3 hours on the cable – so it should improve ever further with prolonged use – my dealer said it needs at least 48 hours.

In Summary: I have been quite taken back by the increase in musical performance – I was not expecting this level of improvement to come by swapping to this Ethernet cable. I had no idea that my system was on a leash with the pervious Ethernet cable, swapping to this expensive cable – has released my system to new heights. I’m seriously pleased with my purchase, for me this has been a component level improvement. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Vertere HB Ethernet sound impressions:
A few hours ago I collected my Vertere HB Ethernet cable. Straight away I plugged it between the CH C1 and my switch.
I have been listing to music for the past 3 hours with the cable in place.
As soon as the first song played - my initial first impression was- who just doubled the power of my amps.
The next thing I noticed was the wider/taller/deeper soundstage. I played a very familiar track, which quite an atmospheric sound – in that sound comes from many different places. With the cable in place the sound was coming from everywhere – left, right, top, back – it was coming from all round – the acoustic space was far bigger than I was used to.
Then there’s the bass – goes much deeper and has far much punch.
Prior to listening, I was worried that the treble may be too bright with this cable, all concerns were removed straight away. The cable is beautifully balanced nothing is out of place – it has a very coherent sound. This is a very musical sounding cable.
Then there’s the removing a few layers of veil – you are much closer/direct to the performer – I suppose you can say the transparency increased a fair bit. Voice sound far more real than before - much more detail (but not analytical) - very natural.
The musical impact – drums have so much more impact – in fact everything hits harder – I was quite shocked by the sheer physical power of the music. I had not noticed this before.
Of course I have only 3 hours on the cable – so it should improve ever further with prolonged use – my dealer said it needs at least 48 hours.
In Summary: I have been quite taken back by the increase in musical performance – I was not expecting this level of improvement to come by swapping to this Ethernet cable. I had no idea that my system was on a leash with the pervious Ethernet cable, swapping to this expensive cable – has released my system to new heights. I’m seriously pleased with my purchase, for me this has been a component level improvement. I highly recommend it.

Hi Jambo,

Congratulation!

Your discription of HB ethernet cable is exactly what I experienced when substituting my Totaldac usb cable with the Vertere HB usb cable!
It's in another league!

I will get the Vertere HB ethernet cable this Sat. 2 days to go!!! :D

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Hi CKKeung,

Many Thanks.:)

Yes, I really was not expecting it to be in another league – but it is.

It will be good to also get your impression - hopefully you can compare with your existing AIM cable. As you say only 2 days to go…;)

Cheers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi CKKeung,

Many Thanks.:)

Yes, I really was not expecting it to be in another league – but it is.

It will be good to also get your impression - hopefully you can compare with your existing AIM cable. As you say only 2 days to go…;)

Cheers

Hi Jambo, you mentioned your Ethernet goes directly into the Dac, right? Not into the transport? Would also be good to hear from someone who puts it into his transport

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Jambo, you mentioned your Ethernet goes directly into the Dac, right? Not into the transport? Would also be good to hear from someone who puts it into his transport

Hi bonzo75,

My MSB transport-dac can be connected by the proprietary MSB Pro-I2S connection and the configuration it adopts is RJ45.

Therefore, I will test the Vertere HB ethernet cable both as a lan cable and for this I2S connection.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Some more feedback after 5 days of use (the cable has been in use 24/7).

The bass has filled out a little more, than when new. When new, it was very well balanced, now the balance has shifted slightly in favour of the bass so it now sounds a little dark or a little bass heavy on some tracks.

Now I maybe more affected than other users as in some ways as it’s acting as signal cable – in that music/data flows straight into my CH C1 dac/streamer via it’s Ethernet port. Or it could be that it finally showing the balance of my system by letting the CH C1 do its stuff.

I’ll probably have to play with the positioning of my speakers, move them closer to the listening position/move them away from the back walls.

I still feel that it’s very nice upgrade to my system than what I had before – It is a bigger change than a high end power cord upgrade I have done in the past.

I’m sure CKK will pipe in with further comments about the cable (its effect as a Lan cable & acting between a transport) once he has played around with it.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
I just moved the speaker 1-2 inches forward and that fixed the bass heaviness to the sound.
Now it’s back to the nicely balanced sound of the cable when new. So looks like a little reposition of the speakers maybe required, otherwise all good.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I just moved the speaker 1-2 inches forward and that fixed the bass heaviness to the sound.
Now it’s back to the nicely balanced sound of the cable when new. So looks like a little reposition of the speakers maybe required, otherwise all good.

Hi Jambo,

I am using the Vertere HB ethernet cable for the Pro-I2S connection between my MSB UMT Plus transport and MSB IV Plus dac :

20150418_192940.jpg

20150418_192900.jpg

I am listening to my favourite : Bach violin solo played by Grumiaux :

20150418_194658.jpg

Most of the praising descriptive words for HB ethernet cable have been used by you and other users/reviewers. I concur 100%.
What I can only say is that the music has a "realness" that I haven;t heard in my system before.
:D

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for heads up, just ordered both the USB and the Ethernet cables. Will post impressions soon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing