Quick Burn in CD/file

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I do remember at one time the caution not to burn in with squarewaves as they were too different from music. So what is wrong with music for burn in? Oh you think you can use some special "hard core" signal and reduce the time for break in. Pretty damn funny that one. Is burn is better, quicker, of more quality (quality of what???) than regular music? Is it steeper edged, maybe you need slow tones to not upset the fragile nature of the system burn in is helping with. Anyone ever give any rational thought to what the heck is happening with burn in? Maybe sawtooth waves. Better than squarewaves or noise. A fundamental with all harmonics in a fourier series. A little bit more like musical signals only more so. Pink noise, why not pink noise, it also is a distribution of frequencies like music in a sense?

Why not just harden the eff up and play music till it sounds good? That way burn in, break in, listener acclimatization or baloney, you aren't wasting the life of your components on something dubious. Just play some music. Is it really that complicated? Just play some music.

Why would square waves be more harmful? Synths play square albeit less often that triangle or sawtooth waves for example. If that were true, everyone playing a synth would need to replace their headphones, amp and PA quite frequently...

esldude

Why would square waves be more harmful? Synths play square albeit less often that triangle or sawtooth waves for example. If that were true, everyone playing a synth would need to replace their headphones, amp and PA quite frequently...

I don't think any of them would be harmful. But at one time it was said it could cause an overly smooth sound that wasn't as detailed as it should be if you used square waves. Sounds like imagination to me. It also was said not to break in a digital cable with analog and vice versa.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Is there an updated resource on this I can download onto my taiko to burn in? Both links are now not working, probably because it is quite a few yrs back. Thanks in advance:)

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Hi, is there any file I can run through a dac for a quick burn in of the system every time I come home?

Also does this work to burn in new speakers or amps as well?

There is no such thing as a "quick burn in". There is an exact alotted time required for every product and there's nothing anybody can do to change that except perhaps increase the amps / voltage in the current flow but I wouldn't try it.

Also, there are 3 types of burn-in. There's burning-in, settling-in, and breaking-in.
  • Burning-in is restricted to electrical current flow.
  • Settling-in is restricted to physical objects that do not move once put into place,
  • Breaking-in is restricted to physical objects that move when in play.
Most any robust music should do and it's been advised from more than one source to stay clear burn-in CD's as in some instances they've been known to cause damage to tweeters, etc at least at louder volumes. I've owned a burn-in CD by Esoteric that I used to use routinely but always at lower volume levels.

Burning in electronics does not require any volume, only current flow, and based on my experience has a memory. IOW, power off or remove the object and when it's reinstalled and current starts flowing again, the burn-in process should pick up pretty much where it left off.

Settling-in occurs 24/7 whether the system is on or off and so long as you do not move the object continues settling-in. Also, settling-in has no memory so if you move the object even 1mm, then the settling-in perioid starts back at square one.

Breaking-in objects that include motors like TT's require no volume but breaking-in objects like speaker drivers obviously require some volume. But you don't have to crank it way up like some appear wont to do. BTW, depending on what connects the speakers to the flooring system, speakers, TT's, and CDP's generally require burning-in, settling-in, and breaking-in.

You cannot change the alottted time a given object is required to burn-in but you can certainly make best use of your time if you played your music in an infinite loop at very low-to-medium volume levels even while you're away.

---------------------------------------
Rereading your post, it almost sounds like you're looking for a system warm up for your already burned-in system. If so, that really has little / nothing to do with burn-in. It's just a warm-up and for that either you turn on the equipment and let it sit for 30 - 60 min or play anything at low volume for that same time duration. I leave mine on 24/7.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing