SME Model 20/3

Cody@TARA

Dec 30, 2014
Ashland, OR
www.taralabs.com
Lately we at TARA Labs have been experimenting with a wide variety of turntables. Most notable of all has been the spectacular Walker Black Diamond Mk.III - however with a price ranging close to six digits, it is probably not for everyone.

Another fantastic turntable has been the SME Model 20/3. While I am reasonably familiar with hearing this particular model, it was the new SME Series V tonearm that really made it come to life. The inner detail and micro-dynamics produced a striking sense of realism and neutrality.

Anyone out there using SME components?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Lately we at TARA Labs have been experimenting with a wide variety of turntables. Most notable of all has been the spectacular Walker Black Diamond Mk.III - however with a price ranging close to six digits, it is probably not for everyone.

Another fantastic turntable has been the SME Model 20/3. While I am reasonably familiar with hearing this particular model, it was the new SME Series V tonearm that really made it come to life. The inner detail and micro-dynamics produced a striking sense of realism and neutrality.

Anyone out there using SME components?

Cody, what other tables have you been experimenting with? Any direct drives?

Also, what do you mean by "new SME Series V tonearm"? Has there been a change to their standard V arm? I had the gold lettering version from about 2008.

Cody@TARA

Dec 30, 2014
Ashland, OR
www.taralabs.com
Let's see, there was a Clearaudio Innovation, Basis 2200 Signature, VPI Classic 3...the list goes on.

As for the tonearm, I just meant new to the system, not new to the market.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Cody, what cartridge are you guys using with the SME 20/3? I assume you are using a Tara Labs phono cable. I agree with your description of neutrality, realism and micro dynamics. Though I have not heard the 20/3, these are exactly the attributes I hear with the 30/12 and V-12 arm.

You may want to try an isolation platform under the SME. Though it is already suspended, you may find that it improves further.

Cody@TARA

Dec 30, 2014
Ashland, OR
www.taralabs.com
I believe that the cartridge in the 20/3 is a Lyra Titan, and the phono cables are TARA Labs Zero GX.

Thanks for the advice about the isolation platform; I've got a Stillpoint Ultra that I'll have to try out.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I recently acquired a SME 20/3a, the arm being the SME V series. I am using a Lyra SKALA which sounds great with that setup, in fact I was shocked by the dynamic range, transient speed and realism when I first used it. Suzanne Vega's In the Eye was absolutely menacing. The SME replaced my Oracle Delphi III which I thought was the ultimate in TTs. Boy, was I wrong. Kudos to my dealer who set up the TT and arm expertly.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Michael Fremer in his review of the new SME 20/3 claims to prefer it to the bigger model 30, calling the 20 the 'sweet spot' in the SME line. Although I haven't heard the 30, I have no trouble believing Fremer. http://www.analogplanet.com/content/sme-model-203-turntable-latest-variation-long-running-theme

I think by calling the SME 20/3 the "sweet spot", he is referring to highest/best value within the line. I don't think that he thinks the SME 20/3 sounds better than the SME 30. I have heard that the 20/3 is SME's most popular selling table.

EDIT: Just reread that review. He does state that he thinks it has the best sonic "balance" in the line, though it does not beat the other tables in every sonic attribute. So perhaps he does prefer it's sound to the model 30, but he is not explicit. He did also write in the S312 arm review that it has all of the advantages of a 12" arm (lower tracking distortion) with none of the disadvantages (excessive mass) so I assume he thinks the longer arm is better than the 9" variant.

It is a good review, but his conclusion seems a bit vague and uncommitted. He thinks it is the "sweet spot", but it is unclear if he thinks it is the best turntable that SME makes.

I wish he would review the SME 30/12 with V-12 arm.

Last edited:

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I think by calling the SME 20/3 the "sweet spot", he is referring to highest/best value within the line. I don't think that he thinks the SME 20/3 sounds better than the SME 30. I have heard that the 20/3 is SME's most popular selling table.

You are right to think that value for money had something to do with Fremer's statement. My choice of the model 20/3 had little to do with cost but a lot to do with weight and my ability to move the table alone if necessary. Thus the lesser bulk of the 20 appealed to me which I haven't regretted, but it would be still be beyond my ability to move safely alone. I'm sure that the 12" arm adds another dimension to SME 30 excellence.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I have listened many times to both the 20/3 and the 30/2, having owned the 30/2 for several years. IMHO the SME30/2 is much closer to my Studer A80 playing master tapes - there is a correctness of scale, bass depth and absence of vinyl effects in the 30/2 that the "more agile" 20/3 does not get. However a system that is too full in the middle bass zone - and most systems and small rooms suffer from this problem - will sound unbalanced and "slow" with the SME30/SMEV pairing. IMHO if you are using a SMEV the choice of cartridge should also consider this aspect - I had great results with the Sumiko Palo Santos, that is very dynamic and lively.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I also think there is quite a tick up from 20 to 30. 30 has better weight, scale, impact, noise floor IMHO. Don't get me wrong, the 20/3 is very competent indeed and was on my list after my Kuzma. I would have taken the 30/12 though if funds had allowed at the time.

drabbish

Aug 15, 2015
didn't stereophile say that the sme 15 was now the sweet spot for the line up? seems reading the review the class A rating was influenced by sound and price point

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
didn't stereophile say that the sme 15 was now the sweet spot for the line up? seems reading the review the class A rating was influenced by sound and price point

I was not aware of this. It seems that class A ratings change with the season, err, review. The thing with SME tables is that the larger the model, the more mass. This increased mass is more effective at handling resonances. There is less coloration as you go up in models and that means more audible resolution and lower noise floors. You basically hear more of what is on the record. Build quality and reliability seem pretty consistent throughout the range, but price increases rapidly, so some models may present more value given different price points.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing