Pass Labs XA200.8 vs. the world...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Al,
There are many different amps that will sound great. Of course, you want the best match. My experience amp shopping is that the manufacturers who make amps with "no feedback" designs tend to have much higher output impedance. Those amps pair least well with the YG Anat. I also used to own the Carmel. It's a totally different speaker. It's very easy to drive. It sounded great with Dartzeel. But the Dart had to go when I got the big boys.

you simply needed the big boy darts

I'm not sure what you are referring to with regard to hypex. I know that there aren't many, if any, amps with a lower noise floor than the Kaulga. Class D has changed a lot. There's nothing better, if you like complex and dynamic music.
Michael.

see 458 darts above for quieter and better for complex and dynamic music.....and with tube like mids and smooth and extended top end to boot. the 1st watt of the 458's is so alive and dynamic.....and tonally rich and harmonically complex. you hear so far into the music. it's an experiential thing.

I'm not anti-class D either. I have 4k watts of class D on my bass towers. I will make it a point to listen to the Kaulga's at the Newport Show if it's there.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi RJ,

The Pass XA.8 Series amps do use a similar topology to the Pass XS Series amps. According to Pass Labs, starting with the XA.5 Series, the XA.8 Series take you approximately half way to the XS Series in terms of performance, sound quality and parts quality. According to a number of owners I've spoken to, the XS Series is still significantly better than the XA.8 Series.

Best,
Ken

Interesting. I am under the impression there isn't much performance difference between the XS-150 and XA160.8.

Albikes

May 29, 2013
You all bring up some great ideas and equipment, but unless I win the lotto, things like Dartz, XS, and others are simply not realistic for me. I'm looking at the price performance ratio that the very nicely designed and built XA200.8 with 200watts Class A power, 50amps of current, and rock solid reliability Pass Labs offers at the $40k msrp price point. Do you know of a better in these parameters?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What about a levinson 33 h 436 432 or a krell fpb 350 mcx or a fpb 700 cx the 700 will rock your socks of , progress ......my ??? :D
I meant the 700 will get your YG s really jumping , as you have already a very good pre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What about a levinson 33 h 436 432 or a krell fpb 350 mcx or a fpb 700 cx the 700 will rock your socks of , progress ......my ??? :D
I meant the 700 will get your YG s really jumping , as you have already a very good pre

Unless you have a local trustful technician who will check and service these lovely, but now old, machines I would not recommend them. These amplifiers can need specialized service at any moment and very few people are knowledgeable enough to service them. Although I still regret never having owned the Mark Levinson ML20.6's. :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
As i maybe said before, i ve owned krell , levinson (meridians poweramp at one stage) graaf otl , boulder, my own made A 18 power amp DIY , Zanden , CAT (current) i never had any problems with any of them only the graaf had a broken tube once .
Pre amps : i ve owned ARC Nagra , levinson 28 , CAT i never had any problems with any of them , only the nagra had a problem once as i dropped that lightweignt powersupply on the floor
High end stuff is well made stuff ime , i see some older krell s on sale as well as levinson they are all still being serviced overhere , only with grey imports one might have a problem finding a official repairmen but still

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Interesting. I am under the impression there isn't much performance difference between the XS-150 and XA160.8.

I suggest you hear the xs then. Xs is a huge improvement over xa. Of course they cost 3x more. You do get what you pay for in this case....just like the xs pre.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, that is what my best advice would be.

Seems like we've put Al in a spin with all our recommendations, he's obviously getting frustrated now... I would feel the same.

I would stick with Rockitman's advice since Al already has Pass in his systems, might as well focus on Pass. Plus I think he has a good relationship with the Pass dealer, am I correct Al?

Just go with Pass in that case and focus towards the XS series in the future, I am sure you will be able to get them one day, especially if your current budget is around 40 grand, which is quite a lot of dollars in amplification expenditure.

At the end of the day, if the system is sounding great with the current electronics and to YOUR ears is able to deliver what you're after, then nothing can beat that! When you do eventually get to the XS series then you'll know that you've achieved the best in amplification. Now you're about halfway there already, so might as well go for it!

All the best Al, and do let us know how it goes.
Cheers mate,
RJ

Albikes

May 29, 2013
RJ,

You are right, so many choices, but not many for Class A at the $20-40k range. I will probably stick with the local dealer as options abound for upgrade which could lead to an XS down the road.

Thank to all for your suggestions and experience, it helps in making the decision.

Cheers,

Al

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm contemplating the big mono blocks to power my YG Anat Pro Passives(heh, good pun there). What would you guys compare in price/performance ratio? My preamp is ARC Ref40. Thanks for the ideas.

al

Well, YG uses big Krell monoblocs in-house, and at CES, there were rooms with D'Agostino monos and Boulder (stereo). These last two would be solid choices, IMO...

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing