The effects of electronic noise reduction in a system

Agree, very interesting...here is a shot of the inside of a Zanden 5000S DAC...key elements do have some kind of white shielding around them including the capacitor or something and the tube. Not sure if its comparable, as i dont think its grounding (like a copper cage?). i think it is similar to ERS Stillpoints paper or something...this white 'paper' is quite thick, stiff and laminated somehow...its trademarked 'Pulshut' from Japan...they said it can provide comparable shielding to a pretty thick amount of aluminum or something...

View attachment 18550

As you say this looks like ERS. I must say that ERS has an effect, but whether you like it or not is in question. I ultimately could not stand it in my house. I think a more shielded box and quality grounding are a much better solution. Long ago at a Vacuum Tube State of the Art conference in the state of Washington, I attended a seminar by John Camille on achieving 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 db of signal to noise. The best that man can do is putting the component in a half inch thick steel grounded case with no openings. This, of course, would make it useless. Another solution would be a Faraday shield around ones listening room. Even that would be a real pain.

Perhaps we need to face it that electronic reproduction of music has substantial problems with nature. Perhaps we should all learn to satisfy ourselves by playing a musical instrument.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As you say this looks like ERS. I must say that ERS has an effect, but whether you like it or not is in question. I ultimately could not stand it in my house. I think a more shielded box and quality grounding are a much better solution. Long ago at a Vacuum Tube State of the Art conference in the state of Washington, I attended a seminar by John Camille on achieving 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 db of signal to noise. The best that man can do is putting the component in a half inch thick steel grounded case with no openings. This, of course, would make it useless. Another solution would be a Faraday shield around ones listening room. Even that would be a real pain.

Perhaps we need to face it that electronic reproduction of music has substantial problems with nature. Perhaps we should all learn to satisfy ourselves by playing a musical instrument.

Thanks for that...i am told it is not ERS paper, but Pulshut paper manufactured out of Japan. How different they are...i honestly cannot say. What i can say is this is permanent, and i like how the DAC sounds, so i aint gonna tinker with the insides. I only tinker on the outsides (vibration, grounding, cables).

BTW, I spent 12 years studying piano....and am happy to confirm i prefer Vladimir Horowitz on CD any day of the week...and so would anyone else! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing