Gryphon Mikado(not signature) as a transport for Gryphon Kalliope

maslak34

Has anyone had any experience with Mikado and kalliope as a transport and dac combo?

Thinking about switching from msb platinum signature IV dac with umt and signature power base with gryphon Mikado as a transport and kalliope as a dac.

Rest of the system components are gryphon Diablo and verity Parsifal speakers.

Thanks for all the views in advance

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Looking forward to reading the responses here...there are a few members who have heard the Kalliope and spoken highly of it. Additionally, i personally found a lot to like in moving from my $60 Daewood DVD player as transport up to the matching Zanden transport. I did try 2 other transports...both Esoteric and they were great, but after hearing the Zanden transport, i made my decision and am happy to have done so. I wonder if you will do the same if you go with Kalliope.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Looking forward to reading the responses here...there are a few members who have heard the Kalliope and spoken highly of it. Additionally, i personally found a lot to like in moving from my $60 Daewood DVD player as transport up to the matching Zanden transport. I did try 2 other transports...both Esoteric and they were great, but after hearing the Zanden transport, i made my decision and am happy to have done so. I wonder if you will do the same if you go with Kalliope.

Hi, all i can say is that my preference is for one box cd players, i love my Chord One BUT i would trade it right away for a Zanden, a friend of mine got rid of his because it was for HIM to smooth and one thing that I love is smooth, and what about the look :p

Zanden 2000P CDP.jpg

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Hi, About the DAC, it is a great Upgrade. Kalliope is the more analog DAC I know I love it. About the transport should be better you try the both at your home. I use Kalliope with Mikado Signature as transport and it is great. Mikado and Mikado Signature use the Philips Pro II as transport against the Oppo transport of UMT. If possible I should tell you to Try the both in your systems to take your conclusions. But I guess you will prefer the all gryphon set. What cables are you using in your system ?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hi, About the DAC, it is a great Upgrade. Kalliope is the more analog DAC I know I love it. About the transport should be better you try the both at your home. I use Kalliope with Mikado Signature as transport and it is great. Mikado and Mikado Signature use the Philips Pro II as transport against the Oppo transport of UMT. If possible I should tell you to Try the both in your systems to take your conclusions. But I guess you will prefer the all gryphon set. What cables are you using in your system ?

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

http://vasiltech.narod.ru/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm#Z

Chord One = Philips cd pro 2M
Gryphon Mikado = Philips cd pro 2
Zanden 2500 = Philips cd pro 2M

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, all i can say is that my preference is for one box cd players, i love my Chord One BUT i would trade it right away for a Zanden, a friend of mine got rid of his because it was for HIM to smooth and one thing that I love is smooth, and what about the look :p

View attachment 18530

;) if you have a chance, i highly recommend it. And if you do either the single box Zanden or the 4-box (2 separate power supplies)...let me know. There is a lot of benefit to the density of the signal, the dynamics and bass slam, the detail (choral music lyrics much, much more understandable)...all with maintaining the Zanden purity of tone and music i enjoy so much.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
;) if you have a chance, i highly recommend it. And if you do either the single box Zanden or the 4-box (2 separate power supplies)...let me know. There is a lot of benefit to the density of the signal, the dynamics and bass slam, the detail (choral music lyrics much, much more understandable)...all with maintaining the Zanden purity of tone and music i enjoy so much.

If i win the lotery i will let EVERYONE know, that's for sure.:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If i win the lotery i will let EVERYONE know, that's for sure.:)

If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a Zanden DAC 2nd hand for close to the price of a new Chord One. Perhaps that helps...

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a Zanden DAC 2nd hand for close to the price of a new Chord One. Perhaps that helps...

Maybe true BUT i don't want a DAC i want a cd player.:)

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Maybe true BUT i don't want a DAC i want a cd player.:)

If possible for you make some tests you will see with the last generation of Dacs, the result of a Trasnport + a DAC use to be much better than a single CD player.

Have A lot of huge Options as Gryphon Kalliope, Trinity DAC, DCS Vivaldi, Esoteric, Light Harmonics and others. The best Red book Trasnports I have listened was with Pro II transport. But if you need SACD, should need a Complete stak from the same company.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
If possible for you make some tests you will see with the last generation of Dacs, the result of a Trasnport + a DAC use to be much better than a single CD player.

Have A lot of huge Options as Gryphon Kalliope, Trinity DAC, DCS Vivaldi, Esoteric, Light Harmonics and others. The best Red book Trasnports I have listened was with Pro II transport. But if you need SACD, should need a Complete stak from the same company.

For ME it as always been - - - keep it simple - - -

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
For ME it as always been - - - keep it simple - - -

I really hope you win the lottery to know your opinion after try all options.. :)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I really hope you win the lottery to know your opinion after try all options.. :)

Luiz IF i ever win the lotery my dream system will still be keep it simple ALL MBL system - - - integrated amplifier - - - one box cd player - - - MBL-101 speakers.

maslak34

Thanks for all the replies.

As for cables I am using acoustic revive triple c xlr and triple c speaker cable.. Between the transport and sac I am going to be using the acoustic revive dsix balanced cable with electric shielding. Power cables for the digital front end will be acoustic revive power cables and for gryphon Diablo I am using audience power cord se version.
Diablo goes straight to the wall, digital front end is connected to audience ar2p power .

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing