Is your brain playing tricks on you? A case of expectation bias?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Are you seeing things w/o seeing them? And are you hearing something that's not there, just because you thought it ought to be?

http://www.psychologicalscience.org...n-the-dark-no-superhero-powers-necessary.html

Close the doors, cover the windows, seal any cracks — the room is now pitch black. You can’t see anything…or can you? New research from psychological scientists at the University of Rochester, Vanderbilt University, and Seoul National University in South Korea suggests that body movements, like waving your hand, can trigger visual sensations, even in the absence of visual information. That is, we may be able to “see” without actually seeing.

To conduct the study, the researchers recruited participants with and without synesthesia, a condition in which a stimulus generates an automatic response in more than one sensory system. People with grapheme-color synesthesia, for example, see certain colors when they read letters and numbers. The participants sat in a dark room, while the researchers waved three different things in front of their faces — the participant’s own hand, an arm-shaped piece of cardboard, or the experimenter’s hand. Overall, synesthetes experienced stronger visual sensations in response to the movement than nonsynesthetes. And the perceived vividness of these sensations predicted how well participants’ eye movements tracked the self-generated hand movements in the dark.

These findings suggest that self-generated limb movements produce visual sensations that may function just like those typically derived from information that comes in through the retina. According to the researchers, the findings show that the brain relies so heavily on prior experience that it can sometimes perceive things in the complete absence of the primary sensory input. “My audition, my touch system, my visual system are all looking at the same world, says study coauthor Duje Tadin ofthe University of Rochester, “so it makes sense they are sort of working together to give me the best perception that I can get.”

Now watch this video, 3rd test

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing