Wilson Audio Theater Room complete

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for your latest CES report....I enjoyed it. You are right about the screen width. I chose to stick with 16:9(1.78) ratio rather than 2.37 as my kids still watch a lot of sports and TV programs on the projector. With an 8 foot ceiling and the need to have the bottom of the screen up high enough to work with two rows of seating....I was maxed out with the 110" wide screen or 126" diagonal. Its a Seymour Reference screen using the woven Enlightor 4K fabric. I realized as I set this up that putting the center channel behind the screen would be a compromise (but I really wanted the Mezzo and it was too large to put in the middle of the room with Kids/friends)....I had some experience with perforated vinyl and was not ok with those results. This screen provided the ability to place the speaker behind it with minimal impact on sound or the picture quality. i would imagine some hard core videophiles would disagree. On the lighting, I can't believe how easy it is to customize.....we put the cans, sconces and riser lights on separate Lutron Ri switches and the Savant software allows all kinds of flexibility. When I press play all lights go dark....press pause and the riser LEDs come on and the sconces go to dim.....press stop and the lighting slowly comes back to full on. While the Savant may not be a Creston system....its a long way from me self programming my Philips Pronto
I have tested the 4K screen material and it is actually excellent and transparent for video. Where I find an issue with it actually was audio. Its tight weave causes the high frequencies to get muffled if it is too close to the speaker. If you put 2-3 inches of gap then the compromise becomes much smaller. That said, your Datasat probably compensated for this some.

Here are a set of measurements I made on my Revel speakers with its grill, the 2K and 4K screens:

In my case the screen was going to cover all of my speakers so I opted to not do that. In your case, it is just the center channel and given the compensation above, I think it is a non-issue.

Again, a great room and thanks for the kind words regarding my CES thread :).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Entai, have you tried your Datasat here with the Auro 3d and getting in ceiling channels? IME, you will get much more enjoyment in both music and movies if you do that. You will actually get 2-ch with concert hall ambience, and best reproduction of full symphony orchestra or the bass of a church organ (which is being talked about in the Auro 3d demos at CES etc, due to the low sustained controlled bass).

I know a guy here in London and followed his Datasat build, like yours, from normal B&W Mch to the Auro 3d with 13.4 speaker configuration. The ceiling channels took sound reproduction to a new level. since then I have heard the Datasat Auro 3d with Wisdom Audio, Aerial Two Twos, and one more brand I can't remember. I think if you don't want to go through expenses initially just try the ceiling channels with the small KEF speakers designed for the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing