New and Updated Shunyata Research Power Conditioners Announced

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
when Caelin said the difference between the V1 and the new V2 is greater than adding a Typhon, I phoned Shunyata and put my name on the queue to order one when production begins. I know what a Typhon does to a system so for me, this was a no brainer

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I'd appreciate your advice as I consider future Shunyatatization for my system. My front end (VTL 7.5 III/Meitner XDS1v2) currently utilizes a Triton and Typhon while the back end (Spectral 400s driving Pipedreams) are plugged directly into dedicated 40Amp circuits. My question is- where would I derive the most benefit with a new ~5-6K expenditure? Should I replace my original front end Triton with a V2 (you commented the benefits over the original Triton are more than the equivalent of adding a Typhon to an existing Triton), or, would it be more productive to add a Typhon to the back end for its exclusive use with the Spectral amps? Yes, I can appreciate the obvious answer is- do both! But seriously, what do you think would yield the most overall benefit if it was an either/or situation, as it appears it is at this time.
Marty

That's a tough one. Amplifiers are particularly fond of TYPHONs as many people here can attest. Assuming you have two dedicated lines, one for each amp, you would need two TYPHONs or you would need to move both amps to a single circuit. For that reason the advantage swings to the Triton upgrade.

I suppose I would opt for upgrading the Triton and putting a SIGMA-HC on it.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I also bought Triton and Typhoon mid last year. Is it possible work with local dealer to ship Triton back? Also with Triton V2 out, would you keep Triton V1 in your product offering?

We have some Triton v1s in inventory but they are all accounted for by several dealers that are getting them at a close-out price. That is close-out not blow-out. Tritons do not come on the used market because people simply don't sell them. That will change and the remaining new ones will be offered at a good discount. So the people that have wanted one but wanted a good deal are in luck. The v1s are still quite valuable since they can be upgraded.

We will not continue to produce the v1 once they are gone.

If you can get the Triton to our factory and back without excessive shipping, customs and VATs and other government extortion, we would be very happy to upgrade your v1 even if it is an EU or Asian version.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Caelin,

As you know I am a huge proponent of Shunyata products and already own a Triton and Typhon, plus many PC's. I agree with Steve that if the v2 is better than a Typhon the upgrade is a no brainer. What I would like to know is does the Triton v2 include an umbilical?

BTW, I just helped a friend who has a very similar system to mine set up his new speakers ML Montis and JL sub, but with absence of a Triton and Typhon. It was quite a trip down memory lane back to the pre-Shunyata days. I trip I just cannot take nor tolerate.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
We have some Triton v1s in inventory but they are all accounted for by several dealers that are getting them at a close-out price. That is close-out not blow-out. Tritons do not come on the used market because people simply don't sell them. That will change and the remaining new ones will be offered at a good discount. So the people that have wanted one but wanted a good deal are in luck. The v1s are still quite valuable since they can be upgraded.

We will not continue to produce the v1 once they are gone.

If you can get the Triton to our factory and back without excessive shipping, customs and VATs and other government extortion, we would be very happy to upgrade your v1 even if it is an EU or Asian version.

For first time buyers, this would of course make it more economical to buy a new, discounted v1 and get it upgraded to v2 at $1995, that to buy a v2 outright ......

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Caelin,
...I agree with Steve that if the v2 is better than a Typhon the upgrade is a no brainer. ...

Ok, I see that I need to explain the TRITON v2 is better than the addition of a TYPHON comment. Steve was trying to understand the percent of improvement to the system if he upgraded to a v2. So, I put it in a context that he is familiar with since he has the TYPHON. My comment was not to imply that the v2 is the "same" as or better than getting a TYPHON. The TYPHON does something entirely in its own realm and it is different than what a Triton v1 or a Triton v2 does. Getting a v2 does not negate any improvement that a TYPHON brings to your system.

The v2 TRITON improves upon what the v1 does and the magnitude of that improvement is on par with the addition of a TYPHON. But it is not the same nor a replacement for the TYPHON. ugh

What I would like to know is does the Triton v2 include an umbilical?

The TYPHON is the only product that requires or uses an umbilical. The TRITON needs a 20Amp rated C19 style power cord. It is not included because the customer will want to choose the level of power cord that they want with their TRITON. Of the current line up of reference grade power cords, I would recommend the ALPHA-HC as the minimum for a TRITON and would prefer the SIGMA-HC if the finances allowed. Of course there are many people that have older Anacondas, Pythons, King Cobra CXs and others that are also excellent for use with the TRITON.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Thanks Caelin. I understood Steve's comment and your analogy and never thought it was a specific comparison. As with all Shunyata products I explored and owned, they each add their own specific value that, in my opinion, are additive when used in a system.

Steve Williams

As with all Shunyata products I explored and owned, they each add their own specific value that, in my opinion, are additive when used in a system.

Russ, that is precisely what I found with the addition of each Sigma PC and Hydra to my system. For me the icing on the cake was the addition of the Sigma Analog PC's

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Caelin, will there also be an upgrade for the Cyclops, and Hydra AV?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Caelin, will there also be an upgrade for the Cyclops, and Hydra AV?

We are planning an upgrade for the Cyclops. It will be fairly simple and relatively inexpensive (compared to Triton)

We didn't plan on doing upgrades for the AV but will consider it when we can get through the bulk of the Triton upgrades.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Great. Thanks.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
My understanding is that the new Triton units have a grounding post. Would using that function like an Entreq (or similar) grounding device, or, do those perform a different function?

Last edited:

Steve Williams

The three grounding posts in the back of the V2 will ground three other components to the central ground of the Triton BUT won't glean any benefits of the Triton that the other 8 components which are plugged into the Triton achieve. At least this is how I understand it. Also ONLY a new ( not an upgraded V1) will have the three additional grounding posts on the back of the unit. As I see it I think it is a form of Star grounding.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
The three grounding posts in the back of the V2 will ground three other components to the central ground of the Triton BUT won't glean any benefits of the Triton that the other 8 components which are plugged into the Triton achieve. At least this is how I understand it. Also ONLY a new ( not an upgraded V1) will have the three additional grounding posts on the back of the unit. As I see it I think it is a form of Star grounding.

Couldn't I just tie all components to the three grounding lugs? Wouldn't that be essentially the same as having each on a separate lug?

What, if anything, do Tripoint or Entreq devices do that the grounding lugs on the Shunyata device would not do (even if only for three devices)? (Are the grounding lugs on the Shunyata redundant with Tripoint/Entreq, or synergistic/complementary?)

Steve Williams

Couldn't I just tie all components to the three grounding lugs? Wouldn't that be essentially the same as having each on a separate lug?

What, if anything, do Tripoint or Entreq devices do that the grounding lugs on the Shunyata device would not do (even if only for three devices)? (Are the grounding lugs on the Shunyata redundant with Tripoint/Entreq, or synergistic/complementary?)

Hopefully Caelin will answer that question

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
Caelin, There seems to be a few questions about how to use the 4 binding post on the back of the new Triton V2. Is it a diffeerent grounding system than Entreq and Tripoint? Redundant? What components would you recommend be grounded to it? What kind of cables, etc? Can they be used on speakers and amps.?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing