Series 2 upgrades to Hydra Triton and DPC-6

Any details....Caelin and Grant

Thanks

Tom SE MI

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You are stealing the thunder from my upcoming CES picture thread :).

Here is the man next to it:

And a close up:

From what Caelin told me, it has isolated rows for noisily digital gear such as routers and NAS, and another row for cleaner audio gear.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

And a close up:

From what Caelin told me, it has isolated rows for noisily digital gear such as routers and NAS, and another row for cleaner audio gear.

I am not seeing any changes in the Triton or Typhon. Can you or hopefully Caelin elaborate on that

hoosiertom

Nov 28, 2013

And a close up:

Amir,

My apologies.... :eek: I appreciate the photos and the updated info thanks for all you do.

As I mentioned, I first saw the info on the cableco.com website and what they posted.

All the best,

Tom SE MI

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

My apologies.... :eek: I appreciate the photos and the updated info thanks for all you do.

As I mentioned, I first saw the info on the cableco.com website and what they posted.

All the best,

Tom SE MI
I was teasing you Tom. Should have been more clear. My bad.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am not seeing any changes in the Triton or Typhon. Can you or hopefully Caelin elaborate on that
You have exhausted my knowledge level already Steve :). I asked Caelin what was new and he said the MPC-12. He may have said one other product being new but I don't recall.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
A big thank you to Amir for coming by to see us. It was a pleasure to see the face behind the intellect.

MPC-12
The VENOM MPC-12 is a power distributor that is ideal for computer or music server based systems. Media based music systems have multiple digital and processing components associated with the computer (server). They are made with commodity power supplies that put out significant amounts of power line noise. The MPC-12 was designed specifically to segregate or “firewall” the computer related components — preventing them from polluting the performance of the high-end audio components.

CCI™ NOISE REDUCTION
CCI™ (component-to-component interference) is caused by the interaction of the electronic components that are connected to the unit. The CCI™ filter consists of a multi-element capacitive filter that reduces RFI and power supply generated interference.

DTCD™ DESIGNED
The MPC-12 was designed using the DTCD™ (dynamic transient current delivery) measurement analyzer to ensure maximum current delivery.

DIGITAL AND ANALOG SECTIONS
There are two banks of outlets, one dedicated to digital components and the other to analog and high current components. The digital section is electrically isolated front the analog section by Shunyata Research’s exclusive “Digital Coil” that reduces noise between sections by more than 40db.

The general rule is to plug everything associated with the computer or music server into the DIGITAL bank of outlets. Anything that inputs or outputs an analog signal should be plugged into the ANALOG section including the DAC or CD player. Experimentation is helpful with various brands of DACs and CD players. Some may sound better in the DIGITAL section or the ANALOG section.

ANALOG: Preamps, amplifiers, tuners, phono preamps, DACs, CD players, tape decks, etc.
DIGITAL: Computer, music server, monitor, disk array, router, wireless and transports, clocks,
USB converters, etc.

US Retail Price: $2495
(VENOM-HC C19 Cable Included)

The MPC-12 is so reliable that it comes with a Lifetime Warranty.

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Calin, any updates to the triton or typhon?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
There will be a TRITON v2. It will represent an evolution (not a revolution) of the HYDRA reference's design. It will be housed in the same familiar chassis and same faceplate design. For those of you that came to the CES show, you had the opportunity to see the new all black chassis and black anodized aluminum faceplate. Check out our website for photos of the new black option. The platinum anodized aluminum faceplate will also continue to be available. The TYPHON and DPC-6 will also be offered in black for those that want a matched stack.

Over the years, we have developed several advancements to the TRITON's design that will be integrated into the new v2. We have developed a CopperCONN outlet where all contacts, including the ground strap are made from a pure tellurium copper base metal. The performance of this outlet far surpasses any outlet that uses brass or bronze as its base metal regardless of the plating used or the number of times Santa's elves polish them. To maintain similar metal conductor types throughout the distributor, the buss system will also be made from pure OFC solid copper.

We have made further improvements to our filter designs. The CCI module is a capacitive array that reduces component to component interference and RFI from the power line. Each duplex will have its own dedicated CCI module.

The HYDRA TRITON has always used a patented method to reduce ground plane noise within the distributor. With the v2, the advantages of the ground system will be extended to other components outside of the unit. There will be four ground lugs on the back of the TRITON that will provide a centralized grounding system for all the components in your system. The TRITON v2 will therefore be a power distributor with an integrated chassis grounding system.

There are no changes to the TYPHON other than black option.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Caelin,

Is it possible to get a current Triton upgraded? Also, when can I reasonably expect my Venom speaker cables for the HT to ship? Thanks.

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Hello Caelin,
I'm based in EU (Schuko).

1. Are the EU (Schuko) Copperconn outlets ready as well? Were the earlier EU (Schuko) outlets made of brass in the Triton/Talos v1?
2. Is the external grounding system also available for upgraders Triton v1-v2?
3. The Triton V1 did not use CCI module on the EU outlets? Only one central MPD per 5 row outlets? But now there is a CCI per EU (Schuko) outlet in v2?
3. Is DTCD reduced in V2 vs V1 now that the CCI modules are fitted? ( I have one Triton running three large front amps (4A internal fuse)
4. Can the Talos EU Schuko also be upgraded to V2?

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
There will be a TRITON v2. It will represent an evolution (not a revolution) of the HYDRA reference's design. It will be housed in the same familiar chassis and same faceplate design. For those of you that came to the CES show, you had the opportunity to see the new all black chassis and black anodized aluminum faceplate. Check out our website for photos of the new black option. The platinum anodized aluminum faceplate will also continue to be available. The TYPHON and DPC-6 will also be offered in black for those that want a matched stack.

Over the years, we have developed several advancements to the TRITON's design that will be integrated into the new v2. We have developed a CopperCONN outlet where all contacts, including the ground strap are made from a pure tellurium copper base metal. The performance of this outlet far surpasses any outlet that uses brass or bronze as its base metal regardless of the plating used or the number of times Santa's elves polish them. To maintain similar metal conductor types throughout the distributor, the buss system will also be made from pure OFC solid copper.

We have made further improvements to our filter designs. The CCI module is a capacitive array that reduces component to component interference and RFI from the power line. Each duplex will have its own dedicated CCI module.

The HYDRA TRITON has always used a patented method to reduce ground plane noise within the distributor. With the v2, the advantages of the ground system will be extended to other components outside of the unit. There will be four ground lugs on the back of the TRITON that will provide a centralized grounding system for all the components in your system. The TRITON v2 will therefore be a power distributor with an integrated chassis grounding system.

There are no changes to the TYPHON other than black option.

Awesome, my dealer is coming by today...assume these are ready to ship? I'll try the black also.

Question, on the new external grounding, will there be a special wire also? Several of my components have a ground lug (my preamp has 2 - chassis ground and signal ground). And will this on the Triton v2 further lower the noise floor?

Thank you

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Caelin,

Is it possible to get a current Triton upgraded? Also, when can I reasonably expect my Venom speaker cables for the HT to ship? Thanks.

Yes, there will be an upgrade plan announced later for existing v1 owners.

We are expecting the Venom cables any day now. Obviously, there have been several delays. We apologize for that.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hello Caelin,
I'm based in EU (Schuko).

1. Are the EU (Schuko) Copperconn outlets ready as well? Were the earlier EU (Schuko) outlets made of brass in the Triton/Talos v1?
2. Is the external grounding system also available for upgraders Triton v1-v2?
3. The Triton V1 did not use CCI module on the EU outlets? Only one central MPD per 5 row outlets? But now there is a CCI per EU (Schuko) outlet in v2?
3. Is DTCD reduced in V2 vs V1 now that the CCI modules are fitted? ( I have one Triton running three large front amps (4A internal fuse)
4. Can the Talos EU Schuko also be upgraded to V2?

1- EU Hydras are different than US models in several ways. There will not be a CopperCONN Schuko outlet. The cost to develop the molds and fixtures in addition to the government certifications is simply too expensive.

2- There will be an upgrade program announced for North American customers only. Some Shunyata distributors in EU and Asia "may" opt for a demo/used trade or trade-in program. This is at the discretion of each distributor.

3- The new TRITON v2 EU version will become more like the American version. It will have 8 outlets instead of the v1's 10. This makes room on the back of the unit for the grounding system. Each Schuko duplex set will get a dedicated CCI filter module just as in the US version. It will also benefit from the new copper buss suystem.

4- DTCD is improved for both the U.S. and EU versions.

5- There are no plans for a TALOS EU upgrade plan.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Awesome, my dealer is coming by today...assume these are ready to ship? I'll try the black also.

Question, on the new external grounding, will there be a special wire also? Several of my components have a ground lug (my preamp has 2 - chassis ground and signal ground). And will this on the Triton v2 further lower the noise floor?

Thank you

The new TRITON v2 will not be available until early spring.

The upgrade programs will be announced at the same time.

We are developing a specialized wire and connector set uniquely designed for the grounding system.

The benefits of grounding buss systems and of grounding braid are well known in the telecommunications and networking industries in addition to the pro recording industry. In the early days of audio we always grounded our components together and all components had a ground lug on the back of the unit for this purpose. I am not sure how or why we have slowly lost this common knowledge and practice in audio. Perhaps with the advent of plastic commodity consumer electronics?

There are audible benefits to common grounding systems - witness the Tripoint and Entreq products. However, sonic results are entirely system dependent and environmentally variable. An obvious benefit is the reduction of ground differentials. We have measured AC voltage differences between two component chassis's of more than 5 volts in some cases.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The new TRITON v2 will not be available until early spring.

The upgrade programs will be announced at the same time.

We are developing a specialized wire and connector set uniquely designed for the grounding system.

The benefits of grounding buss systems and of grounding braid are well known in the telecommunications and networking industries in addition to the pro recording industry. In the early days of audio we always grounded our components together and all components had a ground lug on the back of the unit for this purpose. I am not sure how or why we have slowly lost this common knowledge and practice in audio. Perhaps with the advent of plastic commodity consumer electronics?

There are audible benefits to common grounding systems - witness the Tripoint and Entreq products. However, sonic results are entirely system dependent and environmentally variable. An obvious benefit is the reduction of ground differentials. We have measured AC voltage differences between two component chassis's of more than 5 volts in some cases.

wonderful news about the upgrade path of the Triton from v1 to v2. I can only imagine the number of units that will be sent back for upgrade.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Will the Triton 2 feature tighter AC receptacles? I found my Alpha Zitron cables to not fit tightly (they would slant downwards as if they wanted to fall out).

crion

Oct 29, 2014
1- EU Hydras are different than US models in several ways. There will not be a CopperCONN Schuko outlet. The cost to develop the molds and fixtures in addition to the government certifications is simply too expensive.

2- There will be an upgrade program announced for North American customers only. Some Shunyata distributors in EU and Asia "may" opt for a demo/used trade or trade-in program. This is at the discretion of each distributor.

3- The new TRITON v2 EU version will become more like the American version. It will have 8 outlets instead of the v1's 10. This makes room on the back of the unit for the grounding system. Each Schuko duplex set will get a dedicated CCI filter module just as in the US version. It will also benefit from the new copper buss suystem.

4- DTCD is improved for both the U.S. and EU versions.

5- There are no plans for a TALOS EU upgrade plan.

Any chance of getting atleast Tellurium Copper (TeCu) Schuko outlets of another brand on the Triton v2?

Furutech have models which are not brass-heavy and some models are better in price.

High end is:
http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1851/

But a simpler version and more cost effective is:
http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1854/

Otherwise another bronze Schuko version sound strange now that you put in a Cu bussbar again.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Yes, there will be an upgrade plan announced later for existing v1 owners.

We are expecting the Venom cables any day now. Obviously, there have been several delays. We apologize for that.

Great. Good news all around.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing