Recommendations for a RTR!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would love to get a RTR, and from the ads I've seen on CanuckAudioMart, they go anywhere from $150 to about $750.

My primary use would be to record some music and have it play in the background for however long the tape lasts.

Are there any recommendations you can make? Much appreciated guys!

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John don't forget that many if not most of these machines purchased need some tech work to render them operable which will raise the initial cost to user

Yes, I understand. And I do know of a shop here that can do that work if need be.

John

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Hi John
I'd recommend the Technics RS-1700 auto-reverse deck. You can get a whopping 240 minutes at 3 3/4 ips with 1 mil tape! These are very solid machines.

Rich Brown
Portland, Oregon

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John
I'd recommend the Technics RS-1700 auto-reverse deck. You can get a whopping 240 minutes at 3 3/4 ips with 1 mil tape! These are very solid machines.

Rich Brown
Portland, Oregon

Hi Rich,

I'll put that down on my reference list. I've seen some of the AKAI and TEAC units as well......any thoughts?

John

rrr

May 17, 2010
If all you are interested in is background music at 3 3/4ips, use your PC or MAC.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
There are some nice decks in the $500-750 range
1. OTARI MX5050BII nice tape handling parts plentiful, ebay findable.
2. Ampex 440 a workhorse professional deck big sound on ebay "c" model most desirable
3. Panasonic RS Series VG deck but pricey now superior tape handling
4.Crown CX822 or CX824 sometimes on ebay for $500 a nice deck
5.Studer Revox B77 ,G36, unfortunately the A810 is now priced out of range .

The most important thing is be careful when you purchase there is a lot of junk out there........ask questions about usage and history if you can
heads can be relapped.

Gary

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have a friend here in Mexico that has a quite sophisticated R2R implementation and member of a club where he receives a very high quality tape every month or so from Germany (my guess). He was using a modified Technics 1600 deck just as a transport and custom made Bottlehead units for the head amp and equalization stages (outboard of course). The sound was amazingly good.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John,
I hope you are not considering buying a reel to reel in order to play back tapes at 3 3/4 ips unless your goal is just to have a reel to reel deck spinning tapes and looking cool. It won't sound cool. I find the noise from 7 1/2 ips to be barely tolerable let alone 3 3/4 ips. If you are going to go through the trouble to get a deck and make tapes for yourself, my advice is to get serious about it or don't do it at all. 15 ips 2 track will blow your socks off. Anything else will just blow.

Mark

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Do you know the Tape Project Forum? Several members of this forum also post there regularly. You will find there some discussions on this subject.

http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php

My advice? Remember that in old tape machines the most important guy is the one who services them!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks microstrip, that is the name of such "club", my friend down hete really likes it!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If all you are interested in is background music at 3 3/4ips, use your PC or MAC.

It's the whole "interactivity" or "hands-on" approach that I find very appealing about tape...much like vinyl of course. I would be using the 7.5ips speed and not the 3.75ips.....

John,
I hope you are not considering buying a reel to reel in order to play back tapes at 3 3/4 ips unless your goal is just to have a reel to reel deck spinning tapes and looking cool. It won't sound cool. I find the noise from 7 1/2 ips to be barely tolerable let alone 3 3/4 ips. If you are going to go through the trouble to get a deck and make tapes for yourself, my advice is to get serious about it or don't do it at all. 15 ips 2 track will blow your socks off. Anything else will just blow.

Mark

I'd like a RTR that does play/record at 15ips so I can play around and hear what the differences are. If I end up liking the format or, at least, realize its potential...then I can get serious. In the meantime it's a preliminary excursion.

Do you know the Tape Project Forum? Several members of this forum also post there regularly. You will find there some discussions on this subject.

http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php

My advice? Remember that in old tape machines the most important guy is the one who services them!

I am aware of The Tape Project, thanks to this forum, and have read all about the superior quality a good tape deck can provide. This is why I'm interested in considering getting a start. I have a lot to learn yet, and maybe a browse over there is a smart idea. Thanks for the tip as I didn't realize they had a discussion forum.

So realistically, and lets make the assumption that everything checks out, what would be a good pricepoint to consider? Am I crazy to assume that I can get one for $500?

To all of you...thank you so much for your input so far!:D

John

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John,
You can get an Ampex ATR-700 for around $300 that will play and record tapes at 15 ips 2 track. For some reason, these decks are the biggest steal in high-end reel to reels. It was probably because they were built by TEAC for Ampex. It doesn't matter, it is a pro deck.

Mark

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Antique Tube RTR- not for the faint of heart

Here is my latest folly. I've always wanted a Presto Tube RTR and finally found one on the east coast. I believe these decks were only made for 2 years when production ended in either 1958 or 1959. They were made in mono full track, 1/4 inch 2 track and 1/2 inch 3 track versions. My technician just made some new cables between the power supplies(dual mono) and preamps today and it fired up nicely. All original from 1957, outside of having new heads installed in 1976. Kara of deHavilland is going to re-bearing the motors and get the final bugs out next month. It is sort of a cross between an Ampex 350 and 351. It has mostly submini tubes(12AX7, 6CG7 and 12AT7) with a final 6BL7 octal output. It is all hard wired with a flip down faceplate that offers nice access to the electronics. I'll post more pics when I get it fully set up. I got it with some Ampex 350 flight cases and have located an original Presto Trolly locally.

I'm looking for a 1/2 inch headstack for this beast. This will likely be harder than finding a needle in a haystack unfortunately.

Not for the Beginner :)

Rich Brown

Attachments

• photo-19..jpg
    photo-19..jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 1,055
  • IMG_6149..jpg
    IMG_6149..jpg
    158 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_6142..jpg
    IMG_6142..jpg
    242 KB · Views: 753

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
presto 800 pics

a few more pics of the beast-

note mono power supplies, each with two 6AX5 rectifier tubes. The transport offers 3 different wind speeds and it has user selectable tape tension for both supply and take up reel. These two features were not offered on the Ampex of the day.

Looking forward to hearing how it sounds up against Kara's 351.

RB

Attachments

• IMG_6151..jpg
    IMG_6151..jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_6148..JPG
    IMG_6148..JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 1,208
  • IMG_6143..jpg
    IMG_6143..jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_6153..jpg
    IMG_6153..jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 1,009

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Rich, I watched that deck on the auction site for a while. I knew somebody would snag it, I was tempted but I have plenty to do with my Ampexes.

Frank Sinatra had one or two presto 800's and the 1997 Sony "kind of Blue" was redone on a presto 800. The Presto had a different sound than the Ampex. If it were mine I would get John at JRF to build a set of heads for it. It's a pretty piece.

“In 1997, when we wanted to address Kind of Blue again, I had a GML custom line mixer, and a basically pristine, all-tube Presto 3-track— possibly the R-II [1956] or Model 825 [1957]—which had a unique sound. The GML console was a true step up—it was by far more transparent than the Neve. I did a flat transfer—no EQ or compression—from the Presto and GML to an analog Ampex ATR- 102 with Dolby SR running at 15ips. Printing to analog allowed me to move those original mixes into the future for any technology change that may come along, and these are now the reference standard mixes of Kind of Blue.

http://www.eqmag.com/article/50th-anniversary-kind/mar-09/93837

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing