Oracle Paris Mk V turntable.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am one of the most patient persons you'll ever meet, and have an extremely high level of tolerance for delays that are explained as to reasons why they occur, but I've come to the end of the line.

Called Oracle and left a message yesterday. Received on email this morning to give them a call. My tonearm hasn't even been shipped. I am not happy! I have now been assured that it will ship out this week at the latest, and they will send me a tracking number.

Sorry, but I needed to vent.

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
HI John,

sorry to hear that.

It does not help, but I have gotten first class service from them.

Was there a change in management?

Hopefully the problem will be solved soon.

BR
Andreas

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Honestly, been pretty poor service overall by Oracle.

I certainly hope you get the table up and running soon.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Andreas,

No change in management. Service and communication has been excellent up to this point. I'm just tired of waiting.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Johnny, that's way too bad mate.
Sounds like someone or some dept hasn't got their act together. Now since you've posted this we are also aware of their service and this is definitely a huge text book rule in customer service gone wrong!

Completely unacceptable especially at this so called "high end" level. It certainly leaves a bad taste and a bad impression.

I can only hope they get their customer service "basics" right to begin with especially for future sales. This is really discouraging.

maybe after you've got the thing going, perhaps a direct letter to the ceo/president of the company would be good to let them know exactly how this was all handled.
I certainly would regardless of whether they send the parts free of charge. At the end of the day you've spent good money!

Take it easy mate, RJ
hope this can be rectified in a more proper manner.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hey Johnny, how's it going? any news on the parts from Oracle? What's the latest...
RJ
Hi RJ - Sadly no news so far, but I have still have today as they promised to ship it this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because I'll likely lose it on them if they don't follow through. Enough is enough.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Understand your frustration (I've been there on a few occasions(*)); ... two years ago I talked to Jacques about the new dampeners he had introduced with his latest Oracle. More specifically, we talked about the pro's (& potential cons) of these piston type devices, upgrading older models, and business. Excellent conversation, really nice guy, however, I specifically remember him telling me demand was so high that his waiting lists were becoming very long; months not weeks type long. I realize this personal saga doesn't help you one iota ... however ...

(*) Promises of weeks turning into several months abound within this industry; personally I had a pre-amp, cartridge, and my latest HDTV replacement promised within the month and in each case, months ensued. That stated, in each case, added patience w/continued good relations with the company reps - paid off.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If Jacques is overwhelmed with business, that is NO excuse to delay with making right by John. A situation like this should still have John's problem as priority #1, IMHO.
Oracle have been in business a long time, however, I wonder IF something else is going on that is causing this issue?? Anybody on the forum live close to the Oracle facility....and could
take a little trip over there?
John, have you discussed this with your local dealer? I would have him/her more involved if possible. Maybe consider a full refund from them in the event that you don't get satisfaction.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There is no question that Jacques is a very nice guy and I've enjoyed our conversations, but if he fails to send out the tonearm by today it'll be the second time he failed to deliver on a promise. I have the patience of Jobe and am very understanding and considerate of situations, but I have an investment sitting here for several months that I can do nothing with.

My dealer is not local unfortunately as I bought the TT in Ontario and I'm now in Alberta. However, I will be contacting them to talk about options.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, I was thinking along the same lines to keep it cool and maintain a professional relationship with them since you may require their service in the long run.

However, this priority should be in reverse with Johnny being the focus since he is afterall the "customer", and had done absolutely nothing wrong.

This is a common problem with most companies who are technically sound but lack basic customer relationship management.
Not only does this affect the overall relationship between the customer, the product also suffers and will not achieve that enjoyment it was meant to bring.

What Oracle needs is a great marketing front to patch things up between waiting times and perhaps implement some performance indicators for the better.

Their products may be highly sought after, however I strongly believe that if they continue to under-deliver, it will only ruin their credibility, and eventually the company will fall apart.

There are numerous real-time examples of organizations crashing because of not having the basics implemented and followed. I only hope that someone opens their eyes before it's too late.
RJ

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
However, this priority should be in reverse with Johnny being the focus since he is afterall the "customer", and had done absolutely nothing wrong.

Well, we are all mostly customers, with are own priorities ... in the cases I listed above, I could've (and justifiably so) tilted ... but thankfully I didn't.

And as far as Oracle's reputation possibly being tarnished, in my audiophile circles, I've heard nothing of the sort. Benz, on the other hand ...

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Sorry mate, I simply cannot justify paying over 10 grand and having to wait half a year for a part! That is just unacceptable.

At my work place, where prices are similar to Walmart, a particular item going for a mere $5 which is currently out of stock, our customers can't even wait for a day!

There is so much competition, they would rather just head to Target or Kmart round the corner, and we have lost the sale.

In this case the sale has been done but with very little value, in my opinion.
RJ

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
My corporate experience taught me to always under-promise and sometimes over-deliver. The problem is that small manufacturers like Oracle and Genesis depend on suppliers - to whom we may be the most un-important of their customers. Jacques is a nice guy, but he may be overwhelmed and being a nice guy, is making promises that he can't deliver on because a critical part hasn't been delivered to him as he expected.

However, I do understand your frustrations. I've been in that situation too - and have made that mistake with my customers once too often.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes exactly!
A golden rule in marketing best practices "always try to under-promise and over deliver" you will win the world!

From this experience it is how well Oracle or jacques is going to recover and not only just win Johnny's confidence but also other potential customers...

Valuable lessons are always learnt from small mistakes, which win back great recovery.
Cheers, RJ

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Yes exactly!
A golden rule in marketing best practices "always try to under-promise and over deliver" you will win the world!

From this experience it is how well Oracle or jacques is going to recover and not only just win Johnny's confidence but also other potential customers...

Valuable lessons are always learnt from small mistakes, which win back great recovery.
Cheers, RJ

or go elsewhere

and from this feedback potentially ignore them for any future business as you have indicated

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Just to share something on service excellence and recovery.

About a year back my Act2 was playing up. During playback it would suddenly paralyze itself. all leds would light up and the tubes would shut down. The amp was sent to the main cj distributor who also does repairs and it was sent back after a few weeks. All was fine until few months ago, again similar symptoms.

The unit was checked again, and this time cj's head of service personally looked into it and suggested several updates with a small modification on the power supply. I waited nearly 3 months for its return. I was very frustrated and agitated.

To my pleasant surprise, the Act2 was updated to a series II with the mods, and was absolutely free of charge! The only cost I ever paid was the fuel to get from my house to the melbourne dealer.

On a greater scale of service excellence. Many years ago when I was using the big Manley ref 350 mono's, one of the output transformers went bust along with all 16tubes! This was due to a huge tropical Storm at the time and there was a sudden surge in the whole house. Eve Anna Manley, president of Manley Labs, sent me a brand new output transformer plus 16 kt 90 tubes with 50% off the cost of tubes. So I ended up paying for only 8 tubes. she also included tube sockets and a few b+ fuses to protect the output transformers in a likely future event all free of charge. These items were shipped all the way from Chino California to Sri Lanka, and reached me in just two weeks!

This level of service I have not experienced with any other manufacturer, and I believe it is second to none. This is par excellence at its best!
Cheers, RJ

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The replacement tonearm arrived a few minutes ago. :D. I should have a chance to install it later this week or by the weekend at the latest. Will keep you guys posted.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing