Oracle Paris Mk V turntable.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Johnny, this I am sure is only minor issue and will be fixed soon. As they say with our love for music, if there is a way!

My wife used to joke around with me on this and she always claims that if ever were hit by a tsunami there are two things that I would do;
1. Pack up the audio system
2. Make the bed

And this is if a tsunami was about to hit us! Ha.
I am sure the dealer will be able to identify the problem.
Cheers, and do let us know how it all goes. We can certainly learn from your experience.
RJ

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I tell ya.....I'm not having any luck with my last purchases. The Grado Reference Sonata 1 has gone back to Grado as the holes for the mounting screws weren't tapped deep enough. And now it looks like the turntable is going back...unless the local Oracle dealer can be assigned by Oracle to fix it. I've sent off an email to Oracle and am waiting to hear back.

The issue is hum. It's 95% through the right channel and 5% very faintly in the left. I have done everything possible to resolve the issue. Changed cabling, changed cartridges, changed electrical inputs so everything is plugged in directly to the wall. The hum is present with and without a cartridge being mounted.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Jacques Riendeau emailed me back and he wants me to call him. I can't do it right now, plus its already 5:30pm in Quebec, so I'll call him first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ok, sounds like a plan. However, first things first, seems like you would need to make that call and start from the basics. Most of these highend components run like highly specialized race horses. Some days they run well and on other days can't even get out of the paddock!

I remember when I got my first tube amp, having to set bias with a volt meter and so on... the dam thing still wouldn't work properly. I then had to call the designer himself who was somewhere in san Francisco, melos. He gave me some instructions over the phone and after nearly three weeks we got the amps running. It turned out to be a driver tube that hat not been set on correct impedence and milivolts for it to pass on the signal to the output stage... go figure!

I clearly remember when I had my much older gear such ss Nad, Marantz and musical fidelity, just plug in and it works! One time when I received my older maggies, they sounded awful, later realized that the midrange fuses on both panels were blown! The dealer never told me thisathisand that was the last purchase I made from that dealer.

Not to worry Johnny, I am sure someone will get to the bottom of it and it will be up and running in no time! Just hang in there and have patience, the audio god is testing you!

Cheers, RJ

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sorry to hear of this ongoing saga. Luckily I think you are dealing with a reputable company and I'm sure they will get it sorted. Should be interesting to see what is the cause...particularly since you have done a lot of investigation already.
Hang in there John.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think you are on the right track sleuth wise John. I suspect something amiss with the arm wiring. My bet is that Jacques might just send you a replacement arm.

As for the Grado, if you have adjustable VTA using a shim between the cart and head shell would solve the problem. ;) :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I spoke with Jacques and, after I told him what I had done to date, he determined it's a tonearm wiring issue. He asked me to undo the RCA connector box underneath the table to look at the wiring and to make sure the connections there are properly seated. He said its a very simple procedure I can do no harm to it. So I'm going to do that later as I need to bring my TT upstairs since I'll have better lighting. If doing this doesn't resolve the issue, then he'll send me a replacement tonearm.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I spoke with Jacques and, after I told him what I had done to date, he determined it's a tonearm wiring issue. He asked me to undo the RCA connector box underneath the table to look at the wiring and to make sure the connections there are properly seated. He said its a very simple procedure I can do no harm to it. So I'm going to do that later as I need to bring my TT upstairs since I'll have better lighting. If doing this doesn't resolve the issue, then he'll send me a replacement tonearm.

Glad to hear some resolution is finally at hand.

Seems you'll do anything to get me to visit this place. ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Glad to hear some resolution is finally at hand.

Seems you'll do anything to get me to visit this place. ;)

LOLOL! Glad we have another place to stay in touch! :D How's the E-Flat sounding? I'm dying to hear to MONO Beatles boxset.......

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
LOLOL! Glad we have another place to stay in touch! :D How's the E-Flat sounding? I'm dying to hear to MONO Beatles boxset.......

It's a great table and sounds superb. Really starting to itch a bit on upgrading the cartridge. Does the Pearl have a mono switch?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's a great table and sounds superb. Really starting to itch a bit on upgrading the cartridge. Does the Pearl have a mono switch?

Unfortunately no. I can sum the channels with the Double Y connections or buy a Mono cartridge for my Revolver Red. Still considering the Lyra?

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Unfortunately no. I can sum the channels with the Double Y connections or buy a Mono cartridge for my Revolver Red. Still considering the Lyra?

Yes, I am still looking at the Lyra for later in the year. It would have been nice if the Pearl had a mono switch, but that's a feature you don't see that often these days.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I was so frustrated with everything I walked away from it all and decided to deal with it later. It was then further delayed as we had a death in the family (sister`s husband), but I`ve now jumped back in.

Oracle is sending me a replacement tonearm, which hopefully will arrive by week`s end. Grado has sent me a new Sonata1, so I should be all set to finally have a fully functioning turntable again.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Sounds great johnny, seems like they have stepped up to the plate. now you'll have your tt up and running in no time.

Terribly sorry to hear about your bro-in law, well that is always a set back when someone passes away, particularly extended family members. Anyway, the main thing is I guess to be of support in any way possible. That's the best you could do after things have simmered down.

Some soft quiet music certainly helps!
Cheers with the fix-up,
RJ

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sounds great johnny, seems like they have stepped up to the plate. now you'll have your tt up and running in no time.

Terribly sorry to hear about your bro-in law, well that is always a set back when someone passes away, particularly extended family members. Anyway, the main thing is I guess to be of support in any way possible. That's the best you could do after things have simmered down.

Some soft quiet music certainly helps!
Cheers with the fix-up,
RJ

Thanks RJ! It was pretty sad. He was still very young at 52. They called an ambulance as he wasn't feeling very well, and on the way he suffered a massive heart attack. He died before they got to the hospital. Left behind a young wife (51) and 2 teenage girls (13 & 17).

Hopefully my tonearm will arrive today or tomorrow, so I can work on it this weekend. I'm really ready to hear some vinyl after close to 6 months of being without.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Johnny, sad to hear about that. Leaving behind two teenage kids is no easy task. Especially for a single parent. I truly hope the girls will be stronger and understand what it takes to get through in life.

Going without your tt or music for nearly 6 months is insane! I can't go without even for 6 days, and then I get really cranky. .. wow, I must say you have the patience.
Take it easy, and a good one till then.
Cheers, RJ

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Thanks RJ! It was pretty sad. He was still very young at 52. They called an ambulance as he wasn't feeling very well, and on the way he suffered a massive heart attack. He died before they got to the hospital. Left behind a young wife (51) and 2 teenage girls (13 & 17).

Hopefully my tonearm will arrive today or tomorrow, so I can work on it this weekend. I'm really ready to hear some vinyl after close to 6 months of being without.

It's just a tragic situation John. Hope your sister and nieces are doing a little bit better now as the initial shock wears off.

Looking forward to your report on the tonearm as well.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Johnny mate, how's the tt project going? Did the arm finally arrive? Have they sent in the required parts so that you can get the tt back in working order and fine form of the Oracle paris.

I just heard this thing at the chappy who has the gyrodeck and orb series from michelle. Wow! Sheer musicality at its best! The whole system was driven with Arc gear and speakers were the SF strads. Wish I could afford a Paris but it's out of my league.

Very special sound indeed! Wonderful stuff.
I am sure you'll be smiling from head to toe when it finally gets going, plus a few back flips just for joy!
Cheers mate, RJ

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi RJ!

Still no tonearm and I'm not happy about it. :mad: It should have been here by now, so I fired off an email to them. I've heard the TT many times and really, really like it, which is why I bought it, so I know I'll be happy once it's operational.

2015 hasn't been a very good year from a purchase perspective. First the tonearm issue, then the cartridge issue (returned and replaced) and lastly an issue with Dell (now resolved) regarding a new laptop I ordered. It's been a very frustrating few months. GRRR!!!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Blistering blooming barnacles! What the hec is going on... sounds like we need to straighten this chap. I'll get some of the boys from the cartel to fix him up or better still I'll contact Rohdes and get iron man on the job.

Hot dam, now I'm more frustrated than you are. I was very keen to further learn from your oracle system, well it looks like more patience is being tested...

Ok then, no worries do let us know once it's all there. Hope these parts arrive soon.
Take it easy mate, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing