Non-member Wilson systems

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I thought I'd start a thread on some incredible-looking systems I have seen over the years, and perhaps others can augment the thread.

Here's one done by Stereo Design in San Diego:

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
There is or was a You Tube video of the install.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Beautiful room - stereo horrible setup!

Why? IMHO it has conditions to sound great - a diffuse reflector structure behind the speakers and the side cavities. Besides it has a large area and high ceiling.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wow, absolutely gorgeous - what a killer room. I bet it sounds great.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Wow. Those massive speakers actually look small in that space. I like the fact that it looks like a room for entertaining others and not some windowless room in a basement meant for solo listening. Those are fine too for the listener, but it is refreshing that this owner seems to want his system in a more public space.

I don't see a centrally located listening seat in a "sweat spot". Ack, did you have a chance to listen to this system? How did it sound?

Great idea for a thread.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
If you read Robb Report (aka Michael Jackson's favorite magazine) you will see ads from a fair number of high end manufacturers, including Wilson. They also feature stories of people who have very expensive home theater installations, sometimes a stereo system, and often other collections of wine, cars, boats, watches, etc. The settings are almost always extremely large, elegant, and, for most all of us, over the top residences. We were talking with a piano dealer who sells very expensive grand pianos ($100K and more). Many have gone into homes where the owners do not play, but want a concert grand in the living room because of how it looks. And, of course, only the best. I believe that most of the people with grand homes and matching stereo installations will have consultants who do the installation. They often have to compete with interior designers and spouses who want a certain look, and not to have speakers in the "wrong" spot in the room where a certain piece of furniture has to be. Of course, they can always build a separate room just for the stereo.

Larry

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
That setup is over the top compared to the one below. This one is atrocious!!

10348174_320276354841975_8237483069593631653_n.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That breaks my heart.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Bruce, that photo is something these eyes will never forget. It's like accidentally seeing your grandmother naked. You never wanted to see it in the first place but it's a mental image that you can't get rid of! Whomever owns that system needs to hand over their audiophile card yesterday. What a shame!

Tom

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Bruce, that photo is something these eyes will never forget. It's like accidentally seeing your grandmother naked. You never wanted to see it in the first place but it's a mental image that you can't get rid of! Whomever owns that system needs to hand over their audiophile card yesterday. What a shame!

Tom

ewww to both the set up pic and g'ma ! Seriously, that set up is bad ....that person has no clue what they are missing...

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
ewww to both the set up pic and g'ma ! Seriously, that set up is bad ....that person has no clue what they are missing...

That person probably doesn't care. Some people buy things because they get to a certain place and feel like this is necessary. I bet his garage has several exotic cars that never see the light of day too.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
If you look really closely, it appears that each speaker and sub are sitting on the same piece of granite! :eek:

Can't believe Wilson actually posted this on their FB page.

I see they have a WATCH Center channel. Wonder where the Surrounds are?? LOL

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If you look really closely, it appears that each speaker and sub are sitting on the same piece of granite! :eek:

maybe okay if all speakers are on Stillpoints. As it is, the bass sound wave is going back up the spikes and resonating with the main speaker cabinet....a muddy feedback loop.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Whats the big deal if the guy enjoys it that way , he definetively will know by now how its done " the audiophile way "
I guess he wants to get good high bandwith large scale sound and still enjoy the living space and watch tv on the system .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing