Top Drawer MM

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I know there is a thread about MM's over on Audiogon, but it does ramble quite a lot. HAs anyone here ever used and kept one of the more expensive MM's in their systems like the Clearaudio ones, or those from Soundsmith or Cartridgeman.
I like the idea of a replaceable stylus, and also have found - since luckily acquiring a Pickering XSV 4000 - not sure where in the pantheon it stands - sound very very good in my system - it does certain things that really impressed me - bass, tracking, ignorance or poor surface quality on second hand records.
I am gonna keep my good MC's as well but I think it will be nice to use technology that was seen as the best thing at the height of vinyl sales in the 70's.
My other option is to explore a strain guage which after the initial outlay is very economical (I like the idea of replaceable styli)

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I recently got a Soundsmith Zephyr Mk/II which is a moving iron. Very happy with it. Matches my VPI Classic 3 and 3D Arm very well. Replacing my Lyra Skala.

Larry

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not Top Drawer, but decent and affordable. The Grado The Reference 1. I'm quite sure it'll be my next cartridge.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hi Johnny and Astrotoy
Thanks for the suggestions. I understand that Moving Iron is a bit different to MM but has the same output - which is kinda what I was looking for. Likewise the Cartridgeman uses a Grado as the base for his cartridges.
I only started taking MM's seriously as I inherited a Pickering XSV 4000 with a Townshend Rock Elite and was blown away by the way it presented its sound. A bit of research revealed that in the 70's they were 'de rigeur' for that reason I am curious about giving them a go.
I am of the vew that the higher output may well bring significant benefits.
thanks - and please keep the suggestions coming

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Johnny and Astrotoy
Thanks for the suggestions. I understand that Moving Iron is a bit different to MM but has the same output - which is kinda what I was looking for. Likewise the Cartridgeman uses a Grado as the base for his cartridges.
I only started taking MM's seriously as I inherited a Pickering XSV 4000 with a Townshend Rock Elite and was blown away by the way it presented its sound. A bit of research revealed that in the 70's they were 'de rigeur' for that reason I am curious about giving them a go.
I am of the vew that the higher output may well bring significant benefits.
thanks - and please keep the suggestions coming

My dealer recommended this for the phono input of my Marantz Pearl as well.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I have had a ortofon 2M black for about 6 months

I have been very happy with it

Colourful, dynamic, musical, quiet in the groove

But you do need to load it correctly!

Enjoy

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Could someone actually list a few of the "top drawer" MM carts. I went to the Needle Dr. website and they didn't have a way to view just MM carts.

Edit: Went to the Elusive Disc site and saw some Grado, Clearaudio and Goldring carts.

What's up with the Grado carts output at 0.5mV?

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Unfortunately imo there may not be any top shelf MM's manufactured these days with exception of maybe the Soumdsmith?

I have found that only the Technics EPC 1000mk4 and Audio Technica AT25 can stay in my system long term. They are superb sounding cartridges period.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
London Decca

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The Audio Technica AT150 ANV is very good. It is a limited edition and is out of production but can still be found online. I enjoyed it the last couple years.

My favorite so far is my Technics EPC 205mkII L, that I've had for a few months now. Long out of production but you can find bodies on Ebay for around $150 and then buy a new Jico SAS stylus ($130) for it and have a very,very good cart for a reasonable price. The L version is low ouput at around 2 mv.

Loop4fun

Member Sponsor
Feb 19, 2012
I'm using a Linn Adikt on my LP12. It's really a very good cartridge.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Clearaudio Maestro Ebony Mk2

theophile

Stanton LZS 980/981. Stanton HZS 980/981. Pickering XLS 7500.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I had to back off (budget) on the Grado The Reference 1 cartridge as I picked up a Pioneer RT-909 Reel-to-Reel as well. I stepped down to the Grado Reference Sonata for now. My system should be up and running next weekend, so I'll let you know what I think of it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing