The hit LP of CES 2015!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
The hit LP of CES 2015!

Every room we played this LP in, someone took a picture of it. Female vocalist extraordinaire. Congrats to Anne Bisson, you made the show come to life.

I urge everyone who loves jazz vocals to search out this LP. We have brought the CD to other shows as we awaited the vinyl. It was worth the wait- the LP is simply stunning.

anne.jpg

Many of us in the Aaudio Importers' suite were anxious to buy what turns out to be an out-of-print record. It is Chasing the Dragon an Audiophile Recording by Mike Valentine and released by ZenSati in the UK. It had some truly thrilling performances and sounds.

I don't believe I ever heard the Bisson album.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Peter, I purchased this release directly from Anne at the NY show. I picked up her 24/192 USB card. The sonics are simply superb. It is a demo recording to be sure. It also is great that she is such a nice person as well. Unlike most here at WBF, I no longer buy vinyl unless it is the only way to get a recording so I can't compare the two. I like most of the tunes. Everybody is Kissing in Paris is one clever song and for me is the best song in the set. I have the CD of her last release as well and she gave me the 24/96 USB card for that one at the show. The 24/96 level matched sounds much better than the CD. She clearly is very concerned about how her recordings sound and I applaud her for it.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I'll give it a listen. I purchased her album that had the song "December In Montreal" on it and seldom listen to it. The quality of the recordings was very good, but her singing and the music failed to move me. I'm also going to look for the Mike Valentine recording. Thanks for the suggestions.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I see an audiophile foodfight coming up between Ms. Bisson and Ms. Stanley. They both seem to be audio show darlings.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I see an audiophile foodfight coming up between Ms. Bisson and Ms. Stanley. They both seem to be audio show darlings.

Well potions is one of the best sounding records I have heard in a long time. I just bought Ms. Bisson's record. It is 33 rpm.I hope it is nearly as engaging as Potions.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I have Blue Mind by Ms Bisson
Sonics are good else is meh, IMHO of course.
Like many audiophile rated disc, that I have, which rarely, very rarely get played.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Everytime I listen to the Lyn Stanley titles, I have to put a de-esser on the vocals.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Everytime I listen to the Lyn Stanley titles, I have to put a de-esser on the vocals.
Sibilants with potions...really ? Not hearing that in my system..could be the entreq effect which seems to quell that issue on records that seem to have it more than others...Louis Armstrong comes to mind.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sibilants with potions...really ? Not hearing that in my system..could be the entreq effect which seems to quell that issue on records that seem to have it more than others...Louis Armstrong comes to mind.

I don't hear any sibilants with Potions either. And Lyn singing live doesn't sound sibilant at all. I'll have the tape back from CES in a week or 10 days - can bring that to your studio and see if I can hear what you are hearing.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Both are classy, lovely ladies and I am privileged to know them both. They are above getting into food fights.

Ms Bisson first sang live with my speakers at the Montreal show quite a few years ago, and I encouraged her to go to shows and do that as a showcase of excellence for her recordings. Since then, there have been numerous videos by other manufacturers.

Ms Stanley also started doing "live AND recorded" performances at audio shows. I featured her in the California show last year and I have been hosting her in the Genesis room at every show since. She has also been featured singing along with YG Acoustics, Legacy, Acoustic Zen, Wilson, etc.

Please support BOTH of them. Without the care and resources that they put into the audiophile qualities of their albums, we would be much poorer. I understand from Lyn that she has already put in over $100,000 into the album Potions (including re-doing the lacquer of Side 4 three times!!) and she is far, far from break-even and at the rate she is selling, may never do.

Last edited:

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Lyn played her entire first album in our room at the 2013 RMAF show, and I didn't hear any sibilance. That room received high marks virtually everywhere, so it is safe to assume that no one else who was there heard any, either.

Like Gary says, she's a class act.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The hit LP of CES 2015!

Every room we played this LP in, someone took a picture of it. Female vocalist extraordinaire. Congrats to Anne Bisson, you made the show come to life.

I urge everyone who loves jazz vocals to search out this LP. We have brought the CD to other shows as we awaited the vinyl. It was worth the wait- the LP is simply stunning.

View attachment 18460
Thanks Peter. I had not heard of her. So just previewed some on Youtube and it is quite to my liking!

Here is the making of the above album:

So what is the consensus on the digital version? And how about her other albums? I like this track for example:

Are they all well-recorded?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Peter, I purchased this release directly from Anne at the NY show. I picked up her 24/192 USB card. The sonics are simply superb. It is a demo recording to be sure. It also is great that she is such a nice person as well. Unlike most here at WBF, I no longer buy vinyl unless it is the only way to get a recording so I can't compare the two. I like most of the tunes. Everybody is Kissing in Paris is one clever song and for me is the best song in the set. I have the CD of her last release as well and she gave me the 24/96 USB card for that one at the show. The 24/96 level matched sounds much better than the CD. She clearly is very concerned about how her recordings sound and I applaud her for it.

I also would prefer the usb card but toghether with shipment it makes nearly 50 usd from elusivedisc.com . I decided to get vinyl a bit cheaper from our local supplier and wait until Qobuz or HDT will provide a hires version.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Peter. I had not heard of her. So just previewed some on Youtube and it is quite to my liking!

Here is the making of the above album:

So what is the consensus on the digital version? And how about her other albums? I like this track for example:

Are they all well-recorded?

Amir, they are all well-recorded. She's an audiophile (has for assessing mixes at home an Oracle turntable, with Simaudio electronics, and a pair of Genesis speakers). You and I share the same taste - I met her in September in Montreal and that's the track that I demo with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing