Living Voice Vox Olympian Review

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
They are inexpensive if Kevin let you play Heavy Metal with them which is simply be their nightmare......

Song selections are their key.

interesting - that was my thought at Munich as they kept playing the same audiophile elevator jazz music on repeat

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
Keep in mind he could have added a turntable and spun some vinyl for a better sound but it was not needed. He could have brough a reel to reel with master tapes but he choose not to. This may have given even better sound than a DAC that was well over twenty years old. At that time digital was just starting and much had not been learned yet. Yep he used a CD. Keep in mind the Kondo DAC I think is just 18 but and that is it. No big upsampling, sound shaping, or reclocking stuff. If the system sounded that good with a CD that is saying it can be even better with tape and vinyl. He just played Redbook stuff with no high resolution 24/96 or DSD or 24/192. Personally that was very brave of him.

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
It was a very immediate sound, soft on the top and musical in the bass. One of the four best rooms at the show.

Living voice.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I'll let everyone know when we publish the awards on Monday.

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
OK Peter we will wait till Monday but I just called my bookie and the Vegas bookies. They have odds the Bose 901 will your best of show.

Last edited:

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
Keep in mind he could have added a turntable and spun some vinyl for a better sound but it was not needed. He could have brough a reel to reel with master tapes but he choose not to. This may have given even better sound than a DAC that was well over twenty years old. At that time digital was just starting and much had not been learned yet. Yep he used a CD. Keep in mind the Kondo DAC I think is just 18 but and that is it. No big upsampling, sound shaping, or reclocking stuff. If the system sounded that good with a CD that is saying it can be even better with tape and vinyl. He just played Redbook stuff with no high resolution 24/96 or DSD or 24/192. Personally that was very brave of him.
I had owned that Kondo DAC for years. Although it isn't outperformed a good Analog set up, it is one of the non digital sounding (a bit of honey coating) DAC.

The purpose of using Digital was again song selections. Track after track can be easily chose and it can be played the whole day without damaging records.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I have listen to many high end systems the last 20 years and this system was easily the best sound I have ever heard. At least on easy jazz and voice and piano. Soo realistic!! Sorry they did not play led Zeppelin, big classic orchestras or big band Jazz. Wonder how that would have sounded. The craftmanship was the best I have ever seen. The price of the speakerrs was One million Euros I was told.

Reactions: Amir

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I have listen to many high end systems the last 20 years and this system was easily the best sound I have ever heard. At least on easy jazz and voice and piano. Soo realistic!! Sorry they did not play led Zeppelin, big classic orchestras or big band Jazz. Wonder how that would have sounded. The craftmanship was the best I have ever seen. The price of the speakerrs was One million Euros I was told.

Great aren't they! I have mine set up as a surround sound system in my bathroom and simply adore listening to my Demis Roussos collection whilst on the Bidet :cool:

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Great aren't they! I have mine set up as a surround sound system in my bathroom and simply adore listening to my Demis Roussos collection whilst on the Bidet :cool:

Not funny at all:(

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Does anyone know if there is one woofer in the lower box or more? What's the purpose of the upper grille and the couple of convex slanted slit arrangement?

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Does anyone know if there is one woofer in the lower box or more? What's the purpose of the upper grille and the couple of convex slanted slit arrangement?

From Roy Gregory's write-up.

"Below the S2, the midbass is handled by a Vitavox 151, a 15" paper-cone, pleated-paper-surround unit similar to that used in the Air Partner but with an Alnico magnet system. It is loaded by a folded-horn enclosure, with nonparallel sides and again built from laminated beech, that extends its range down to a -3dB point at around 70Hz -- giving the complex and visually imposing Vox Olympians about the same low-frequency bandwidth as an LS3/5A."

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/living_voice_vox_olympian_vox_elysian.htm

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
From Roy Gregory's write-up.

Thanks 853guy, I found a text on 6Moons whereby the 15" is bolted on the bottom layer, firing upwards at 45 degrees, then there's an exit from a compression chamber at 45 from the vertical but away from the listener. Following that, the passage is downwards, then U turns upwards to finish at the lips.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing