Xs Phono

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I did prefer the XP-30 over the XS pre in my system. I might have felt differently if my system was different or if I still had the Alexias. The XP-30 is the only Pass preamp that has a generous lower midrange and that works well for me, producing a tube-like midrange that I adore.

That is not to say the XS pre didn't have its virtues. I wanted to love it sonically (I did prefer it ergonomically and aesthetically) but in my system it thinned out the midrange too much by comparison.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi Ian,

I owned the XP-30 for over a year. It is warmer sounding than the XS Pre, much more tube-like in its presentation. If you prefer the warmer presentation, it makes sense that you would prefer the XP-30. The XS Pre is extremely neutral and transparent to the source. How are the M Projects breaking in? You have some of the best speakers in the world.

Ken

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, you seem to have taken on the responsibility of being a spokesperson for Ian lately. ;)

Perhaps, though that is certainly not my intent. It is an extraordinary system that has evolved tremendously in the last two years. Some of the best equipment that I have ever heard has been in Madfloyd's system and I am very appreciative of the opportunity to experience it.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Ian,

I owned the XP-30 for over a year. It is warmer sounding than the XS Pre, much more tube-like in its presentation. If you prefer the warmer presentation, it makes sense that you would prefer the XP-30. The XS Pre is extremely neutral and transparent to the source. How are the M Projects breaking in? You have some of the best speakers in the world.

Ken

Thanks, Ken, good to know I'm not imagining those differences.

The M's are certainly evolving, but slowly and the character is still on the analytical side - at least compared to my S5's. I feel like the speakers are still 'holding back' in terms of dynamics, presence and slam. Hopefully that will change with more break-in (it's been a week so far).

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Christian or Sirs, someone has find the specifications of XS Phono ?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Wayne C from Pass confirmed on another forum

The XS Phono does have three separate input cards for each channel a total of six input cards. This avoids switching very low signals and it has memory for the loading positions..

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I will say if I hadn't known I installed the Pass XS pre today, I would of thought I installed the greatest tube pre ever. It is a mind blowing improvement over the XP30....

Congratulations, Christian. I understand the XS is not fully broken in yet, I think it takes about five days to reach its full potential. How would you describe their differences so far?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There must be a synergy you get from XS to XS that you don't get from going XS to XA

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Congratulations, Christian. I understand the XS is not fully broken in yet, I think it takes about five days to reach its full potential. How would you describe their differences so far?

Wholesale improvement across the board. Much more than I expected.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
So Chistian, does this XS Pre make you want to consider the XS Phono? As you know, Reno HIFI will let you demo for two weeks.:)

If it turns out the phono can deliver the excitement I'm hearing in the pre....maybe. I will be paying attention to forthcoming reviews in the future.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
So Chistian, does this XS Pre make you want to consider the XS Phono? As you know, Reno HIFI will let you demo for two weeks.:)

fishing.gif

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing