New DAC from Merging Technologies for Home Audio Market

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Merging Technologies is teasing their "new toy" on Twitter and Facebook with a picture showing an audio rack with equipment from EMM Labs and the new toy at the bottom. It will be shown at this week's CES 2015 show in Las Vegas in their suite at the Venetian Towers 30-311 and 30-315 starting today.

If you click on the Comments section on Facebook, Chris Hollebone, their sales director reveals it's a new DAC for the home market. With a new web site to follow.

This could be quite interesting, coming from the pioneers of DSD 256 professional recording!

Merging New Toy.jpg

Merging's Audio Rack at CES 2015
https://www.facebook.com/MergingTec...95.1073741831.606330662740477/889930944380446

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
It's official. The Network Attached Digital to Analog Converter (NADAC) from Merging Technologies will debut at High End Munich and The Show in Newport Beach later this month. It will come in both 2 channel and 8 channel editions. More info is at the NADAC web site which is now live.

"Merging Technologies was encouraged to produce NADAC because of the high praise their professional D/A converters have received from leading recording engineers. It uses the same technology and is built to the same exacting standards.

Many of those recording companies are in the forefront of providing a large catalogue of true Hi-Res Audio downloads. These are typically in DSD or DXD and many of them will feature the multichannel DSD files previously used for SACD releases. Merging is forming a dynamic partnership with a growing number of these content providers, to jointly promote the benefits of the listening to the music as the artists intended. Special deals for NADAC purchasers will be announced as they are made available."

NADAC Models.jpg

http://nadac.merging.com/

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
We will have a full video report on this fantastic new DAC and technology from Munich. They launch next WEEK!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Interesting use of ruggedized ethernet jack:

It has XLR outer shell and RJ45 inner. I don't think I have ever seen that used on consumer gear so it is a puzzling approach.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Pro audio demands bullet proofing. It has to work under fixed or mobile condition.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

It has XLR outer shell and RJ45 inner. I don't think I have ever seen that used on consumer gear so it is a puzzling approach.

IIRC, the original Sooloos system used these.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

MSB uses this for their I2S Pro interface.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
We will have a full video report on this fantastic new DAC and technology from Munich. They launch next WEEK!

How do you get say an 8 channel signal into this DAC using your typical PC based server running JRiver? Would you do 8 channel DLNA streaming over Ethernet? If not, what protocal would you use to get the data from the server to the DAC.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
How do you get say an 8 channel signal into this DAC using your typical PC based server running JRiver? Would you do 8 channel DLNA streaming over Ethernet? If not, what protocal would you use to get the data from the server to the DAC.

I assume it would be very similar to how you play 8 channel downloads with the exaSound e28 today. We will know more at the Munich and Newport Beach audio shows.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010

No, it is not using DLNA at all. It is Ravenna
One installs a virtual sound card on the PC and pushes the data to the DAC
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/Connect/Ravenna.htm

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Let's hope they have competitive pricing. Otherwise, folks will just opt for the HAPI

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Let's hope they have competitive pricing. Otherwise, folks will just opt for the HAPI

I noticed they haven't mentioned pricing or ship dates. So the $7,500 price for the Stereo and Multichannel-8 editions of NADAC mentioned during CES could have changed.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
It's official. The Network Attached Digital to Analog Converter (NADAC) from Merging Technologies will debut at High End Munich and The Show in Newport Beach later this month. It will come in both 2 channel and 8 channel editions. More info is at the NADAC web site which is now live.

View attachment 20225

http://nadac.merging.com/

Indeed...I thought about skipping this year's Newport show, but now I may have inspiration to attend :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing