New WAMM details

Adrian Low

Industry Epert
Saw a full size mock-up of the new WAMM. David Wilson has his reasons for not going into too much detail until the speakers are finally released. I'll just give the info as I have them.

Each presentation is by invitation only. Wilson started by thanking and acknowledging those present for the company's success. He went into some detail about how the WAMM began; his initial speaker experiments inspired by Gilbert Briggs of Wharfdale, discovering that he could get different qualities of sound by moving drivers physically relative to each other, to building tracks in the ceiling, hanging drivers by metal wire off the tracks, and pulling them forward or back. These experiments laid the foundation of the time alignment and aspherical group delay that his speakers feature today. By the way you can see a picture of a Dalquist DQ10 with an ESR electrostatic midrange and a Braun tweeter stacked on top of each other. This was the original inspiration for the WAMM. http://wilsonaudio.com/company_history.shtml

As an aside, David was very passionate about how much more important the time domain is compared to frequency response. He mentioned scientific studies that seem to indicate that.

The original WAMM was built because David was frustrated with commercially available speakers at the time being unable to reproduce the sound he heard while recording full scale orchestral and organ works. His wife Sheryl then showed pictures of Daryl and Debby as kids, listening to the original speakers. Debby was sitting on the top of the WAMM woofer tower.

Then the speaker was unveiled.

We were not allowed to take pictures and I can't really describe it well save for the obvious. There are 5 smaller independent modules stacked above the 2 bigger bass/mid bass modules(?). Grills were left on. The main chassis can be used without a full size subwoofer/s. From the side, there are obvious aesthetic clues from the XLF, with the horizontal cut/ curves. Wilson hinted at finding inspiration from Ferrari/formula one cars' use of the undertray air flow technology to increase downforce at speed, though he didn't elaborate.

Height: 82" without spikes / 208.28cm (7' tall with spikes)
Width:23"/58.42cm
Depth:35"/88.90cm

No electrostatic panels will be used. All modules can be adjusted in the time domain except for the lower 2 presumably. Sub towers are passive, so user will need to add amplifiers.

Qualified dealers will be trained extensively at the factory to install and optimize the performance of the speakers. Each prospective WAMM customer must be vetted by the dealer and separately by Wilson Audio. Among other criteria, only current owners of Wilson speakers (current or previous models) will be approved.

Anticipated release is probably later this year, possibly at the Munich Show though this is purely speculation.

Wilson then described how the development team has been spending countless hours with the finest orchestras during rehearsals, listening to the sound intimately. You can see videos of this on Wilson's website. David pointed out that having direct and intimate access to the world's finest orchestras and conductors helped them achieve a level of understanding and therefore, performance, that far exceeds anything they've ever done. The new WAMM will embody all that they've learned.

The above is mainly objective reporting of what I remember. On a personal note, I observed how touched and emotional David Wilson was when he thanked all present for the company's success, for having made good friends in the industry. The passion he displayed when he talked about how little attention we pay to time characteristics compared to frequency response. The obvious pride in his son Darryl who has been playing a critical role in the development of all new speakers, among the rest of the development team.

While I'm sure everyone present would have loved to have heard the speakers, David was clear that the WAMM is not quite ready, but could not wait to share their latest and best with friends.

I apologize in advance if there are any factual errors. I'm no trained reporter. Just a fan from the first pair of Watt1 with rosewood sides in 1988 ...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to hearing them while knowing I will never be a purchaser.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Now we need someone who will make a sketch for the rest of us - similar to those that papers publish from court rooms :)

DavT

Sep 6, 2014
This is so great, finally, a great speaker to go with my Light Harmonic's "Sire" DAC. I can listen in bliss every time I get home from riding my Unicorn. I am going to pay for it with the money that I am currently planning on having in the future at some time when I am invited to the club 1 %. Actually, I really like hearing about state of the art on the edge stuff, at least once that stuff actually exists.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Why on earth do customers need to be "vetted" and be custom Wilson owners??

Ferrari does it all the time. If the demand is gonna be higher than what they plan to build I don´t see a problem that they put Wilson owners first in the line.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thank you for that report, Mr Low. Very nice! Mr. Wilson, the team and Darryl must be proud. What I wouldn't give to be a fly in their shirt pocket.....! :)

Tom

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Now we need someone who will make a sketch for the rest of us - similar to those that papers publish from court rooms :)

Maybe sketch out some $$'s for us to buy these to... :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, I love all this. In the UK, whenever Absolute Sounds used to run the big Wilson/Krell/Transparent demos at shows in the 90's/00's, attendance was by ticket only, even for the poor schmucks who couldn't afford the dust falling off such exhalted equipment :eek:. Now, only Wilson addicts need apply. Lucky schmucks I say to those who don't get an invite :cool:!
Re the Ferrari allusions, can I order a 5.2 setup of these beauties that I can't ever afford to go in the La Ferrari that I also can't afford :confused:?
Btw I'm a big fan, I really would not say no if David would install his new spkrs in my room and take my Zu's. Straight swap.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
interesting about the passive sub on a no-holds barred design, although maybe not considering that has been the Wilson approach from the beginning with the added subs.

only that with an integrated active/powered sub integration with the other drivers is much simpler and fool-proof; no outboard crossover would be needed. I'm sure they have their reasons and in the end implementation will be exemplary.

I could not agree more with the time aligned design approach including the subs; I sure enjoy it in the MM7's. I wonder how their crossover on this product will compare to the others. the MM7's have a 1st order crossover that allows for the time and phase alignment (as I understand how crossover design works, I'm no expert).

personally I think it's cool to restrict the product to current owners. we will see if that actually happens that way. I can see a dealer wanting Wilson to make an exception for the right customer.

bravo to Wilson for going down this road.......

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
What time alignment Wilson talking about.

Nearly all his speakers for the last 10 years (as far back as I know from stereophile magazine's measurements) have their mid range driver units connected in the negative polarity.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
What time alignment Wilson talking about.

Nearly all his speakers for the last 10 years (as far back as I know from stereophile magazine's measurements) have their mid range driver units connected in the negative polarity.

Nothing wrong with that. It all depends on the drive units used and x-over design.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Thank you for the detailed report. I am anxious as the rest of you to see it in person. It's nice to dream at least. I also agree that Wilson owners should get first priority. I was told (someone else's opinion) it was done to keep the uber rich Saudi and Asian audiophile owners in check.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Wilson hinted at finding inspiration from Ferrari/formula one cars' use of the undertray air flow technology to increase downforce at speed, though he didn't elaborate.
you made my day!
too bad he didn't "elaborate" ;-)

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Thank you for the detailed report. I am anxious as the rest of you to see it in person. It's nice to dream at least. I also agree that Wilson owners should get first priority. I was told (someone else's opinion) it was done to keep the uber rich Saudi and Asian audiophile owners in check.

because the uber rich American audiophiles are better?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I see nothing wrong with giving people who have supported Wilson Audio first dibs at the new WAMM.

Without those often "repeat customers," no company can expect to grow.

Dave is doing the right thing.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Not a Wilson fan per se, just an enthusiast/audiophile. I would have liked to hear the WAMM. Not that it is in my future, just to know where ot stands in the uber speakers caegry. I understand the Marketing spiel of saying that previous Wilson owners would have the first dibs. . Reality will certainly be slightly different.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing