On the 12th Day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Those crates make for some nice kindling! :)

LOL, the only problem is that I would have to WORK dismantling it and getting it to fit in the fireplace! I have a bunch of wooden wine cases that have already volunteered to help heat the listening room. :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
OK, did some listening (with Peter Ayer who graciously came down to help). These are very early impressions (haven't sampled that much in the way of different music styles yet).

Obviously the speaker needs to break in. The are also sitting on casters which puts them higher than they will be on spikes (and from my experience with Alexias this can make a huge difference in low frequencies) and are simply placed where I had my S5's (i.e. no attempt at voicing has been made thus far).

I have to say that the tweeter is really special. I feel like I'm just echoing previous reports, but it's seamless and clean, clean, clean.. The entire frequency spectrum seems seamless. Music is fast, liquid and full of ENERGY. Whether it be a sax, acoustic bass, or a string section, I feel energy like I've never felt before. The bass is DEEP, but taut & snappy (who knows how much this will change with break-in). Soundstage is huge. It's so wonderful to finally have 'big' speakers. Symphonies are outstanding - the closest thing I've heard to the BSO so far. Instruments are so separated and there is lots of depth.

Piano was really telling - again the word 'seamless' comes to mind with oodles of resolution, especially impressive detail in the low frequencies. The size, weight, and presence puts the piano right in the room.

It'll be interesting to see how the sound evolves during break-in. Right now I'd say they are more neutral than the S5's but not cold or analytical. I've yet to play any rock so that will be interesting.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Music is fast, liquid and full of ENERGY. Whether it be a sax, acoustic bass, or a string section, I feel energy like I've never felt before.

That is an interesting description. When I first got my S5s I would stay up all night listening to them, and not be tired. I felt as if I was getting energy from the music that kept me going. With the M series I would probably be up all weekend.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
OK, did some listening (with Peter Ayer who graciously came down to help). These are very early impressions (haven't sampled that much in the way of different music styles yet).

Obviously the speaker needs to break in. The are also sitting on casters which puts them higher than they will be on spikes (and from my experience with Alexias this can make a huge difference in low frequencies) and are simply placed where I had my S5's (i.e. no attempt at voicing has been made thus far).

I have to say that the tweeter is really special. I feel like I'm just echoing previous reports, but it's seamless and clean, clean, clean.. The entire frequency spectrum seems seamless. Music is fast, liquid and full of ENERGY. Whether it be a sax, acoustic bass, or a string section, I feel energy like I've never felt before. The bass is DEEP, but taut & snappy (who knows how much this will change with break-in). Soundstage is huge. It's so wonderful to finally have 'big' speakers. Symphonies are outstanding - the closest thing I've heard to the BSO so far. Instruments are so separated and there is lots of depth.

Piano was really telling - again the word 'seamless' comes to mind with oodles of resolution, especially impressive detail in the low frequencies. The size, weight, and presence puts the piano right in the room.

It'll be interesting to see how the sound evolves during break-in. Right now I'd say they are more neutral than the S5's but not cold or analytical. I've yet to play any rock so that will be interesting.

Fantastic initial report...you MUST change your signature now!!! Anyway, it says a lot when you say finally nice to have big speakers. Your Alexias might not have been elephants but they had a big sound. Enjoy!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
A big congratulations, Madfloyd. I remember vividly encouraging you to get these because I knew that it was likely going to be the only way that I would ever be able to hear the M Project in any setting, much less in a good friend's home system. I just never thought you would go through with it. So I jumped at the chance to help you uncrate them and watch the movers lug them into your listening room.

I agree with Madfloyd's initial impressions and will just add a few of my own. I understand that they will need 400 hours or so of break in and that the initial positioning is not yet ideal, but with those caveats, I have to say, hearing these M Projects has been sort of an epiphany for me. Today was the first time that I have heard symphonic music through a stereo system sound remotely like what I have heard at the BSO or the Vienna State Opera. The scale was huge and the sound was completely effortless and natural. Specifically, the sound was ultra coherent, seamless and tonally balanced. All I heard was the music, no system, no boundaries. Dynamics, macro, but especially micro were better than I've heard from any system, including the Q7 and Wilson XLF, both of which were in purpose built super demo rooms.

Madfloyd wrote of energy. I spent four days listening to rehearsals at the Vienna State Opera from the edge of the orchestra pit - full orchestra as well as individual solos. I also listened to cello and piano sonatas in a private living room four weeks ago. I have never heard that sense of pure energy exploding out of a speaker system before. It was startling, very realistic and yet relaxing. Absent was any sense of glare or harshness or discontinuity. Incredible detail, yet absolutely no fatigue. Very clean, smooth, detailed with vanishing levels of distortion, just music. Clean is the one adjective I would use to describe live symphonic music. This is what I heard today.

I should add that from initial impressions, the M Project is voiced to sound more tonally neutral, like the Q series rather than the slightly warmer and impactful bass of the S series. It seems to have a more extended and smoother bass than the S5. And the tweeter, which has gotten some attention, is truly extraordinary. It, too, is very smooth and extended, yet one is hardly aware of it, because it does not draw any attention to itself.

My previous two favorite speakers are the Mini 2 and the Q3. Both are extraordinarily coherent and tonally balanced with great dynamics. If set up properly, they can sound very natural and convincing, but compared to the M Project, they just sound small and medium, respectfully. The M sounds HUGE by comparison, with even more resolution. It was an experience I will not soon forget. I can't wait to hear them again after they are more broken in and positioned on their footers.

These impressions are early and based only on listening to acoustic music on vinyl. No digital, pop/rock or amplified music.
Great choice, Madfloyd. What an incredible speaker.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great report PeterA! Look forward to reading more...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Please allow me to offer you a sincere congrat's on our latest purchase MadFloyd. Is it a sin to covet another man's speaker's? :)

Tom

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks, Tom.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I still can’t get the sound I heard in Paris out of my head - a big problem. Probably the best overall loudspeaker out there today. Congratulations!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I still can’t get the sound I heard in Paris out of my head - a big problem. Probably the best overall loudspeaker out there today. Congratulations!

Thanks, cannata.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Congrats madfloyd , i never heard them but based on earlier magico designs i bet they sound awesome , big speaker sound being one of them
It appears to me you are a fast decision maker :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Peter you are funny :D

A big congratulations, Madfloyd. I remember vividly encouraging you to get these because I knew that it was likely going to be the only way that I would ever be able to hear the M Project in any setting, much less in a good friend's home system. I just never thought you would go through with it. So I jumped at the chance to help you uncrate them and watch the movers lug them into your listening room.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Congrats on the speakers! Love that carbon fiber look. It appears the tweeters are going to be at the same level as the S5 as well.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For the "ordinary" weight speakers our crew does the moving and set up. For the really heavy stuff, the cost of the piano movers is absorbed by us.

My manners! Way to go Ian!!!!!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hey if Peter loves em, I am sure I would to...I've heard Peter's system is it is extraordinary !

Congrats Madfloyd !!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks, guys. Btw, my dealer offered to pick up the piano movers cost and he's going to voice them in a couple weeks so I'm in good hands.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing