MMTwo Exact Pictures

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I have been getting a lot of people requesting that we post in home pictures of the MMTwo or MMThree EXACTs. We just delivered another set of EXACT modules to an existing MMTwo owner who was kind enough to send these photos. The only things that had to be done were the un-crating of the modules, positioning them, disconnecting the speaker cable connection to the MMTwo, reconnecting those cables to the EXACT modules and then adding a connection from the modules to the MMTwos. No other changes.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Hi JT. Can you tell the readers what the Exact does for your speakers.

The EXACT is the identical circuit topology housed in our flagship MMSeven loudspeakers. In short, the EXACT module system transforms MMTwo or MMThree loudspeaker systems up to the real world performance standards of our statement product. The midrange and tweeter achieve the same output characteristics as the MMSeven. The woofers receive increased smoothness and definition. This dramatic improvement is accomplished by isolating all of the mechanical distortion nodes of each of the drivers and suppressing their influence on the overall sound, generating ruler flat frequency response, with extremely low distortion. Simultaneously, the electrical performance of the system is smoothed, yielding much tighter impedance deviations, or smaller phase shifts. This combines for a loudspeaker that is more accurate, both sonically and electrically, resulting in much greater realism in both tonal reproduction and sound stage presentation.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I think this exact speakers look really cool.
Not having another bass module right on top makes them look more room friendly.
Are they fully passive?

I like the time-aligned concept, and I think I can identify time-aligned speakers in blind listening tests.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I think this exact speakers look really cool.
Not having another bass module right on top makes them look more room friendly.
Are they fully passive?

I like the time-aligned concept, and I think I can identify time-aligned speakers in blind listening tests.

Hi Jerome,

Thank you and yes, the EXACT modules are passive.

I look forward to you hearing them and sharing your comments.

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
Hi jtinn,

Have you ever considered additional color options? Maybe something darker, like the Sonus Faber graphite finish?

Not that the current color looks bad. But it would be nice to have at least one other option.

Or maybe something like this?

Last edited:

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Hi jtinn,

Have you ever considered additional color options? Maybe something darker, like the Sonus Faber graphite finish?

Not that the current color looks bad. But it would be nice to have at least one other option.

We have done exactly what you are talking about a few times, but our preference is still for our signature look.

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
We have done exactly what you are talking about a few times, but our preference is still for our signature look.

Hi jtinn,

I've had some interest in a new pair of EA, but the color doesn't quite work in my space. Hopefully you don't completely abandon the idea.

Thanks for the quick reply.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Hi jtinn,

I've had some interest in a new pair of EA, but the color doesn't quite work in my space. Hopefully you don't completely abandon the idea.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Which model were you considering? We can do it on all of the models other than the Micro series.

If you ever want talk about it further, I am available off-line.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The EXACT is the identical circuit topology housed in our flagship MMSeven loudspeakers. In short, the EXACT module system transforms MMTwo or MMThree loudspeaker systems up to the real world performance standards of our statement product. The midrange and tweeter achieve the same output characteristics as the MMSeven. The woofers receive increased smoothness and definition. This dramatic improvement is accomplished by isolating all of the mechanical distortion nodes of each of the drivers and suppressing their influence on the overall sound, generating ruler flat frequency response, with extremely low distortion. Simultaneously, the electrical performance of the system is smoothed, yielding much tighter impedance deviations, or smaller phase shifts. This combines for a loudspeaker that is more accurate, both sonically and electrically, resulting in much greater realism in both tonal reproduction and sound stage presentation.

This is fascinating. The speaker cables are disconnected from main speaker and connected to EXACT, and then a single? connection is added between EXACT and speaker (presumably a speaker cable-like connection)...

This suggests that with knowledge of a speaker, one could develop an add-on EXTERNAL unit (like the EXACT) to any speaker and significantly improve it? And it does so from OUTSIDE the speaker?

Without asking anything proprietary of course, is this a new crossover, some kind of grounding/shielding? For example, is it NOT connected to the speaker via the speaker cable connections...and instead connected to other parts of the speaker first which allow it to take over the crossover section, etc?

Fascinating!...thanks for any insights without proprietary information (which frankly i almost certainly would not understand anyway)...

DEV

Oct 19, 2011

Interesting- wouldn't you need to disconnect the existing cross over from drivers in the speaker to be the most effective other rise be a compromised? - isn't this EXACT unit a more elaborate external replacement cross over? Are the same cables with connectors used to connect these to the speakers like used currently between my MM3 modulars?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for weighing in here DEV...i am also trying to understand a bit more about the EXACTS...particularly as relates to how it "[isolates] all of the mechanical distortion nodes of each of the drivers and [suppresses] their influence on the overall sound" from outside the speaker cabinet. This is quite interesting.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks LL21 & Dev for the questions. Sorry for the confusion.

The MMExact gets added to the existing crossover. Your existing speaker cables get connected to the MMExact instead of your loudspeakers and we provide an additional set of cables to connect from the MMExact to the loudspeakers.

From our website:

“The external filter does not degrade the performance of the loudspeaker’s internal Constant Voltage Crossover Network. Time and phase are kept intact because the MMExact is simply an array of shunt networks, meaning they are not connected in series directly in the signal path, but are instead connected in parallel across the terminals. The signal from the amplifier still goes straight to the drivers to maintain source integrity. This results in a circuit addition that is transparent to your electronics while enhancing the performance of the transducers.”

Here is a link for even more information:

http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/mmtwoexact/

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks LL21 & Dev for the questions. Sorry for the confusion.

The MMExact gets added to the existing crossover. Your existing speaker cables get connected to the MMExact instead of your loudspeakers and we provide an additional set of cables to connect from the MMExact to the loudspeakers.

From our website:

“The external filter does not degrade the performance of the loudspeaker’s internal Constant Voltage Crossover Network. Time and phase are kept intact because the MMExact is simply an array of shunt networks, meaning they are not connected in series directly in the signal path, but are instead connected in parallel across the terminals. The signal from the amplifier still goes straight to the drivers to maintain source integrity. This results in a circuit addition that is transparent to your electronics while enhancing the performance of the transducers.”

Here is a link for even more information:

http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/mmtwoexact/

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you...so as a non-techie, does the signal from the amp go directly to the speaker via the EXACT module...and at the same time go through a series of filters inside the EXACT?)

if so, does the sound going through the filters in parallel also then go on to the speaker? I do not wish to ask any proprietary...i honestly would not understand it anyway...just trying to understand what the basic approach is here because it is most intriguing.

It seems like the EXACT module is applying something 'more defined' to the signal than the original crossover networks inside the original speaker...and COMBINED with what the speaker circuits/networks are doing, the EXACT then improves the linearity of the signal?

In a really, really silly way, as a totally theoretical question...if the original speaker meets the signal and a piece of the speaker's circuits take the signal and deliver it to the cone at a value of 1.10 (but to be exact given the cones own resitance, etc...the value would ideally be 1.075)...the EXACT subtracts out 0.025 from the signal in parallel so that when the signal hits the cone it is 1.075?

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Thank you...so as a non-techie, does the signal from the amp go directly to the speaker via the EXACT module...and at the same time go through a series of filters inside the EXACT?)

if so, does the sound going through the filters in parallel also then go on to the speaker? I do not wish to ask any proprietary...i honestly would not understand it anyway...just trying to understand what the basic approach is here because it is most intriguing.

It seems like the EXACT module is applying something 'more defined' to the signal than the original crossover networks inside the original speaker...and COMBINED with what the speaker circuits/networks are doing, the EXACT then improves the linearity of the signal?

In a really, really silly way, as a totally theoretical question...if the original speaker meets the signal and a piece of the speaker's circuits take the signal and deliver it to the cone at a value of 1.10 (but to be exact given the cones own resitance, etc...the value would ideally be 1.075)...the EXACT subtracts out 0.025 from the signal in parallel so that when the signal hits the cone it is 1.075?

The MMExact does not transform the signal and send it to the speaker, rather the MMExact becomes the speaker, where the input for the speaker is now located on the MMExact. The MMExact is simply an extension of the existing crossover, in either the MMTwo or MMThree, connected via bus wires. In the case of our flagship MMSeven, the crossover and Exact filter are all housed internally within the loudspeaker as one very large and very sophisticated circuit. There is nothing taken away from the signal of the amplifier, since the wires are in direct path to the drivers which are all connected in series with each other. This means no sonic loss, only gains in quality, phase, frequency accuracy, etc. The best way to view this is a speaker with a crossover so large and sophisticated that it had to spill outside of the speaker into another cabinet just to get it all to fit. However, keep in mind that it is still remains a first order series network, which is still very simple and pure by design, yielding a remarkably coherent sonic presentation.

I hope this clarifies and helps answer your questions.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The MMExact does not transform the signal and send it to the speaker, rather the MMExact becomes the speaker, where the input for the speaker is now located on the MMExact. The MMExact is simply an extension of the existing crossover, in either the MMTwo or MMThree, connected via bus wires. In the case of our flagship MMSeven, the crossover and Exact filter are all housed internally within the loudspeaker as one very large and very sophisticated circuit. There is nothing taken away from the signal of the amplifier, since the wires are in direct path to the drivers which are all connected in series with each other. This means no sonic loss, only gains in quality, phase, frequency accuracy, etc. The best way to view this is a speaker with a crossover so large and sophisticated that it had to spill outside of the speaker into another cabinet just to get it all to fit. However, keep in mind that it is still remains a first order series network, which is still very simple and pure by design, yielding a remarkably coherent sonic presentation.

I hope this clarifies and helps answer your questions.

Fantastic! Yes, even for a non-techie like me, this helps a lot. Thank you...great stuff and fascinating to consider.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing