How to properly listen to a record?

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I mostly read and glean here and have very little to offer.

I was once digitizing an LP to listen to in the car. With headphones on I could hear my voice coming back through when a silent groove was playing. I was close to the TT but not talking too loudly.

Back in the sixties my father kept the Garrard in a hall closet, far from the speakers.

I saw the discussion on cables and how they can color the sound. Surely the impulses traveling through the air can as well. Which brings me back to my original question.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have my turntable in another isolated room. That's an extreme, but as far as I know, the ultimate way. Anytime you have the turntable in the same room, there are always airborne vibrations. A Herzon can take care of mechanical vibrations, but does nothing with airborne vibrations.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have my turntable in another isolated room. That's an extreme, but as far as I know, the ultimate way. Anytime you have the turntable in the same room, there are always airborne vibrations. A Herzon can take care of mechanical vibrations, but does nothing with airborne vibrations.

well.....

first off; there is more noise in any environment than just music feedback, so a tt even in a separate room still is exposed to a certain amount of noise. consider the case of the electron microscope in a quiet lab, the Herzan still makes a significant difference in earth and ambient noise reduction even in a decoupled, engineered, isolated room.....obviously that is it's reason for existing. and when making rips with headphones the Herzan made a positive difference compared to passive decoupling.

second; the Herzan absolutely attenuates any airborn noise to the plinth and rack. it's easy to clap your hands next to the Herzan and observe the effect on the visual graphic display which displays noise that gets dealt with. it does not matter where the noise comes from; if it's detected by the sensors then it gets attenuated. I'd grant that the armwand itself at the non-bearing end, to the degree that the airborn feedback might have an effect on it, would not be much helped by the Herzan. I know that recordings don't reveal any audible feedback when A/B'd with the speakers muted and not muted. I'm sure there is a difference on a technical level but doubtful there it would be audible to any significant degree.

I do have hundreds of wonderful 2xdsd vinyl rips where I can hear where the Herzan would have made some difference.

nothing is 100% effective in eliminating noise, whether the Herzan or a separate room......todays top level vinyl playback is so sensitive. but I agree that a separate room is one great solution. personally; I simply play too much vinyl for that logistically to be a choice. but for the occasional mastering situations I can see the why it works for you. there are always trade-offs for every decision we make.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
RE: airborne nasties

Sometimes, repositioning a turntable a few inches one way or another can make an audible difference. At one show where I participated, the people in the adjoining room were playing music loudly, and the thin hotel wall was behaving like a diaphragm. Lowering the turntable only a couple of inches made a dramatic difference that anyone could hear. Your wall at home matters, too.

A lot also depends on the cartridge/tonearm combination. Some handle airborne influences better than others. The caveat is that the more friction-free setups seem to be more sensitive to those influences.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
For someone that listens to a lot of records, locating the TT in another room is a bit extreme. The biggest problem is missing the first part of the first track on each side. Then you also need to use a longer interconnect. If you have a closet really close to your preamp that would mitigate those problems. Barring that possibility locating the TT in a bass null away from any direct energy from the speaker is second best. Of course a Herzan can't hurt either.:D My preference is for non suspended floors if possible.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I hit the suction button. It turns my 150g Lps into 35,150g LPs. LOL.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
My system would be considered entry-level around here (Music Hall MMF 9.1, Phase Linear, Carver, Fisher, Yamaha) so I was wondering what the true audiophiles whose systems equal the mortgage on my home use. Seems like an important topic to me.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
second; the Herzan absolutely attenuates any airborn noise to the plinth and rack. it's easy to clap your hands next to the Herzan and observe the effect on the visual graphic display which displays noise that gets dealt with. it does not matter where the noise comes from; if it's detected by the sensors then it gets attenuated..

Yes, I observe the same thing. A good clap of the hands near the TT initiates active isolation on the table stable. The 3 axis graphical display clearly shows the incoming acoustic vibration.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, I observe the same thing. A good clap of the hands near the TT initiates active isolation on the table stable. The 3 axis graphical display clearly shows the incoming acoustic vibration.

Christian,

It only shows your table, like any diva, loves and acknowledges applause ... ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bruce B, maybe I'm not thinking straight, but how is it possible to drop the stylus on the lp in one room, and get back to the listening room in time to hear the first chord? On some of my lp's, music is instantaneous on needle drop. And if the room is just off the main listening room or connected, there is no way the tt isn't being influenced by the main room.
Our hobby is OCD enough w/out having to run from one room to another :eek:!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce B, maybe I'm not thinking straight, but how is it possible to drop the stylus on the lp in one room, and get back to the listening room in time to hear the first chord? On some of my lp's, music is instantaneous on needle drop. And if the room is just off the main listening room or connected, there is no way the tt isn't being influenced by the main room.
Our hobby is OCD enough w/out having to run from one room to another :eek:!

Guess I'm OCD then. The rooms are totally decoupled from one another and the house itself. Even the cement slab has been cut between the rooms, so there is total isolation. As for one room to the other, I can start the TT and get in my seat in about 6 seconds. No big deal. What I actually do is start the recording process and then drop the needle. Here I can listen to the transfer without any degradation from how far I turn up the volume!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bruce, whoever said music listening is bad for fitness? Not an option for me, I only run when I fall asleep to be awakened by the stylus grinding in the inner grooves :eek:! Once was enough :p.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
While it sounds like a plausible option, I wouldn't give isolating my turntable into a separate room any consideration. First off I don't like the idea of missing the first few notes, although I may not be positioned yet, and second....I didn't pay what I did for my turntable to hide it. If that means giving up quality (which I'm not sold on) so be it.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
my Basis Ovation is inside a thick walled MDF box with a 17kg 0,4 inch thick acrylic dustcover
what about putting needle in groove and remotestart TT motor?
best
Leif

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Guess I'm OCD then. The rooms are totally decoupled from one another and the house itself. Even the cement slab has been cut between the rooms, so there is total isolation. As for one room to the other, I can start the TT and get in my seat in about 6 seconds. No big deal. What I actually do is start the recording process and then drop the needle. Here I can listen to the transfer without any degradation from how far I turn up the volume!

I think for Bruce it's a good solution. he's going to edit the final result anyway. my comments about logistics where mostly about that you tend to do stuff that is easy. I want to listen to lots of vinyl and so the back and forth, opening and closing a door, etc. etc. would simply get in the way of the vibe of vinyl. plus.....I like to look over and see the vinyl playing and enjoy the 'art' of the tt in my room.

no doubt that in Bruce's case, he has optimized the whole 'other room' vinyl approach and doing it for the right reasons.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
If I miss a note or two at the beginning, I can live with that. I have a bedroom straight behind the wall my system is stacked against. Just a few steps away.

I enjoy playing music on the loud side of the spectrum, to the point that I'll close the doors and/or windows so as not to disturb the neighbors. If a voice at normal volume comes through the cart I don't want to imagine what's going on when the power is dialed up a bit.

GGA

Aug 23, 2011
While it sounds like a plausible option, I wouldn't give isolating my turntable into a separate room any consideration. First off I don't like the idea of missing the first few notes, although I may not be positioned yet, and second....I didn't pay what I did for my turntable to hide it. If that means giving up quality (which I'm not sold on) so be it.

Several years ago I was concerned with airborne vibrations and decided to try and isolate the turntable. It was already in a 2'x2'x4' cabinet with a 4" wall at the back, 1" plywood shelves at tip and bottom and 1/4" plywood at left and right sides. The front is open.

After considerable research on sound proofing material I specialized 1" think very thick foam and proceeded to attach it to the five sides. I then cut a 1" plywood door, attached the foam, and temporarily attached it to the cabinet to completely seal the turntable. The big problem with attenuating noise are the low frequencies, say under 300Hz. Certainly 1" foam is not going to help much.

I played the first record and there was quite a dramatic change in sound. I was excited an started making plans for a more permanent isolation chamber, however, after a few more days of listening I realized the sound was unbalanced. What could have caused this.

I got out my mic and REW and did some sweeps with the mic resting on the turntable with the temporary door open. I then did the same sweep with the door closed. There was a considerable change between the two sweeps. Door closed measurement was far lower at over 1000kHz, almost fully attenuated. However, a severe resonance had been created below 100Hz (don't remember the exact frequency) undoubtedly caused by creating a sealed box. This resonance must have fed into the turntable and changed the frequency spectrum.

I think it is very difficult to build a sound proof box, unless you are Herzan. I would prefer Bruce's solution or a sound proof area built into the listening room. Today's gear is so incredibly sensitive that I think it is underestimated how airborne noise will affect playback.

My table sits on a Black Diamond Source shelf which sits on 2'x'2'x4' 2" thick maple shelf which is levitated by six Newport airpods. I use a considerable amount of specialized plastic materials as well as Isodamp for additional vibration control, so I am reasonably happy with the control of floor borne vibration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing