Jadis JPL

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
That's absolutely right! I think the jadis pre is one preamp that is true value for money.
There are many other great preamps that of course cost nearly 3 times more but when we evaluate such brands and models we must say good things about them because they are expensive, hence it would be embarrassing...

I personally think that the jpl can beat many top end designs hands down. When it comes to highend gear at a premium we are more biased towards the American offerings. However, when a European product comes to the market we are skeptical. .. I think these French designers are onto something just like the Italians from SF, and they have been for quite a while.
I will be returning the jadis this weekend and will surely miss it. I certainly enjoyed the special attributes it delivered in my system.
Cheers, RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you want a preamp that is VFM, plus quality at any money, go for NAT audio from Serbia. Their entry level pre that you can buy direct under 3k EUR was rated as 2 by a German mag, behind Ypsilon's 23k pre and ahead of Dan Agostino's 30k pre. I haven't heard the Special Edition of their top of the line Magnetostat, but I know people who have had the Magnetostat who rate it above anything they had from VTL, Lamm, Einstein, etc. One guy who has that says the only better one he has heard is the multi expensive Wavac.

I actually compared Jadis JPS2 and the Magnetostat (not Special Edition) in one system, and well, I haven't heard anything better than NAT for bass, dynamics, and resolution. But the Jadis midrange had a magic. That said, I don't know if it was his specific set up.

Btw Big Dog, the first time I heard the Analysis Omegas, they were being driven by the NAT Transmitter, which was rated one by the same mag, and is a 120w single ended Class A amp - has a tube as big as a jug that heats your room up.

I plan to dem the JPL against the Magnetostat SE again

Last edited:
Reactions: Zappadaddy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have also heard great things about the TRL Dude with Duelunds as VFM, it retails for $6k in the US

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I actually compared Jadis JPS2 and the Magnetostat (not Special Edition) in one system, and well, I haven't heard anything better than NAT for bass, dynamics, and resolution. But the Jadis midrange had a magic. That said, I don't know if it was his specific set up.

In the early 90s, this place was Jadis nation, or city. :D It all started when an elder afficionado brought in a set of JPL plus a JA30 amp. Everyone in our group who heard it wanted one, and it was like a Jadis virus that spread like crazy. To this day, I still feel the the CJ mid is round, sweet and voluptuous. And the Jadis mid is CJ-light, with highs finer than white sugar as opposed to CJ's caramel flavor. :D All those who bought Jadis then weren't after the slam or earth plowing lows. They were after that 'tingle' in the air when music is played. That was the Jadis magic. By the late 2000 era, I heard people were complaining that the Jadis sound was 'slow' compared to the newer designs that came out. The bandwagon may have shifted as the popularity of the brand waned as to this day here, but in my case, I gave up the amp because it was troublesome, not because of the lack of magic. And as I mentioned previously, other brands may have more body in the mids than the Jadis, but few will have its finesse.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks for your update Bonzo, certainly interesting to learn about the Omega's.
Infact, after having the Omicron & Epsilon at home for a good period of two weeks, with an awful lot of listening at late night sessions, they didn't surpass the overall presentation of my Quads. Although the speed and dynamics were awesome, that sort of laid back immersive soundstage off the Quads is what I'm used to.

As far as amps are considered, I have put together a list:
1. CJ ArtSA
2. Lamm ml2.2
3. McIntosh MC275
4. McIntosh mc452
Preamp, I am truly pleased with my current Act2, and the best is that I've heard all of the above driven with the Act2 and Quads. All of these combinations were superb! It basically narrows down to how much I will have left after my other priorities; wife, daughter's higher education, new house, wheels etc. Afterall family comes first, as for now I will just sit back and enjoy what I've got! Cheers, RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Big Dog, as mentioned before, I don't like the Omnis and the Epsilons. The Omegas and the Amphis are a big leap up, especially in soundstage. Not much difference in those two except the latter need a bigger room.

There is a difference between ML2.2 and M2.2

You don't have to mention your family comes first - your wife is not reading this forum, is she? :D

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey mate, you'd be surprised.
On the way to Sydney we drove, I did most of the driving 12 hours. During that time, my naughty daughty was going through my phone. She was bored, and came across the forum. Both of them know about it and are ok with it as long as the good wife gets a diamond ring once in awhile and now the kiddo wants an iPhone6.

Bloody hell those single days were the glory days eh?

Therefore, when ever I travel overseas I make it a point to stop ovet at Tiffany's, got to keep the standards up mate. They've seen all the types of systems I've gone through, and I'll tell you what it's so dam hard to do this fine balancing act!

I think several others could add to the blues since their brood is much larger. Balancing family and high end audio generally leads to divorce, so far I'm doing bloody great mate!

That's why I'm a very well known customer at Tiffany in Singapore's terminal 2&3.
Take it easy mate, RJ

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think several others could add to the blues since their brood is much larger. Balancing family and high end audio generally leads to divorce, so far I'm doing bloody great mate!

LOL. Though our country does not have divorce, I was a party to a legal separation of a couple wherein the wife got all the high end equipment of the husband. It involved an E.stat and some tube electronics which I was able to help the wife dispose as any iota of the husband's gears made her mad. In this case, it's the separation that led to the partition. :D

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Oh boy! Now that's a very discouraging story of high-end down the drain. ..
Take anything but the system woman, dam!
She gets the system but at the end doesn't even keep but sell it off! That must have really hurt.

I think I'm dam lucky being married to an angel for 14 years! Two birthdays are coming up next week, both the mrs and the miss. At this rate might as well be a gigolo!
I've still got the looks, at least that is what she says...

Take it easy Phil!
Cheers, RJ

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No worries, RJ. My guess is that the guy must have upgraded to giant multi-cone speakers and SS electronics! :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Since we are referring to Jadis upgrades elsewhere it is time to actualize this thread - the recent JPL MkII version represents an interesting update of the first version of the JPL, it has been optimised and the power supply is now tube regulated - it uses one EL86 and one EF86 in the power supply. Previously it used a regulated SS power supply.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
If you want a preamp that is VFM, plus quality at any money, go for NAT audio from Serbia. Their entry level pre that you can buy direct under 3k EUR was rated as 2 by a German mag, behind Ypsilon's 23k pre and ahead of Dan Agostino's 30k pre. I haven't heard the Special Edition of their top of the line Magnetostat, but I know people who have had the Magnetostat who rate it above anything they had from VTL, Lamm, Einstein, etc. One guy who has that says the only better one he has heard is the multi expensive Wavac.

Btw Big Dog, the first time I heard the Analysis Omegas, they were being driven by the NAT Transmitter, which was rated one by the same mag, and is a 120w single ended Class A amp - has a tube as big as a jug that heats your room up.

I plan to dem the JPL against the Magnetostat SE again
any new developments and findings Jadis vs Magnetic vs Einstein.....? Searching for great preamp now

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
for speakers and power amp?
well I am searching for some great preamp and looking at NAT Magnetostat or Einstein. I noticed you have had some experience with it and promising you want to compare again Jadis vs NAT. I used to have Jadis JPS8 fully symetric version and I kind of regret I have sold it. Now I have MOON 740P, but now I have heard Westminsterlab Quest and rei monobklocks and it was really something special. I found out my weakest link now is a preamp. 20200813_195156.jpg

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
and btw I now have full line cables from Jorma and loving it very much, never heard any cables sound so good, specialy mids

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
well I am searching for some great preamp and looking at NAT Magnetostat or Einstein. I noticed you have had some experience with it and promising you want to compare again Jadis vs NAT. I used to have Jadis JPS8 fully symetric version and I kind of regret I have sold it. Now I have MOON 740P, but now I have heard Westminsterlab Quest and rei monobklocks and it was really something special. I found out my weakest link now is a preamp. View attachment 113471

i don’t like the Einstein preamp. I no more like Valve preamp into SS power amp. That is good as a bandage for some SS amps. I prefer either Valve pre into valve power, SS into SS (which normally works only on rare occasions and for very high priced quality SS like audionet stern + Heisenberg or CH precision), or SS preamps like Soulution into valve power amps.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I don't think the Einstein preamp is for you, the moon sounds more natural for me. I find the usability bad, if you want to change the signal sources, nothing happens with the preamp for a few seconds. Explanation: The tubes are only then heated up for the input (each input has its own tube). Ok, it saves the tube life, but I find it annoying.

P.S
i see manley amps in the photo why not a manley preamp

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Since I have Mola Tambaqui and I have heard awesome things about Makua I will try it. With tube class A 80w monoblocks should be better then with Moon 740P which I am using now.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I don't think the Einstein preamp is for you, the moon sounds more natural for me. I find the usability bad, if you want to change the signal sources, nothing happens with the preamp for a few seconds. Explanation: The tubes are only then heated up for the input (each input has its own tube). Ok, it saves the tube life, but I find it annoying.

P.S
i see manley amps in the photo why not a manley preamp. I am using Challenge SE833 monoblocks as shown in my profile picture.
Manley are not longer in my inventory. That picture was put in for Bonzo75.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing