Jadis JPL

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi does anyone know the difference between the various JPL models, the JPL, JPL 2 Mk1, and MK2?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi does anyone know the difference between the various JPL models, the JPL, JPL 2 Mk1, and MK2?

I owned an early JPL- sn 2XX, as far as I remember. As far as I know the only difference for current models was the type of capacitors. Jadis never acknowledged many of the unofficial references mkX that were usually created by the distributors. If you are buying used get an early model cheap and have all capacitors, including the signals ones replaced. BTW, it is a great preamplifier, but I preferred the sound through the common inputs, avoiding the cathode coupled buffered CD input.

Some people who have experience with the brand told me that Vcaps sound great in Jadis.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. What is the difference you notice between the JPL and the AR?

Can you check these Jadis preamp mods in the page, do they make sense to you, and will they work equally well on an early or a later model?
http://www.high-endaudio.com/Modifications.html

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks. What is the difference you notice between the JPL and the AR?

Can you check these Jadis preamp mods in the page, do they make sense to you, and will they work equally well on an early or a later model?
http://www.high-endaudio.com/Modifications.html

My JPL went to a close friend who later bought an Audio Research REF3. We compared both preamplifiers and although the Jadis JPL had better midrange clarity the ARC had better bass and more extended treble. Please note that auditions only included classic vocal and instrumental music, including large orchestral and vocal pieces - we did not care to rock or electronic music. BTW, IMHO we can not compare the JPL to the JP80 - if it was not for double volume without remote possibility I could have happily stopped at the JP80.

The only think I fully agree with Salvatore is that you should keep the same final value of the components you replace. All other comments are mainly preferences and reflect his own system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My JPL went to a close friend who later bought an Audio Research REF3. We compared both preamplifiers and although the Jadis JPL had better midrange clarity the ARC had better bass and more extended treble. Please note that auditions only included classic vocal and instrumental music, including large orchestral and vocal pieces - we did not care to rock or electronic music. BTW, IMHO we can not compare the JPL to the JP80 - if it was not for double volume without remote possibility I could have happily stopped at the JP80.

Thanks, I owned the Ref 3 and sold it off because I found it disappointing w.r.t NAT Audio on bass, separation, and dynamics for classical. I am interested in Jadis purely for the midrange, I compared it against the NAT and same result as with the Ref 3, but Jadis vocals and solo instruments had magic. SO maybe I should get a JPL and have those mods, and buy a NAT, and swap depending on mood

All demos included Mussorgsky Pictures, Scherezade, and Mahler 2 beginning. Also Bach Cantata 140 choral and duet

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
BTW, IMHO we can not compare the JPL to the JP80 - if it was not for double volume without remote possibility I could have happily stopped at the JP80.

Does that mean JP80 is much superior?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks, I owned the Ref 3 and sold it off because I found it disappointing w.r.t NAT Audio on bass, separation, and dynamics for classical. I am interested in Jadis purely for the midrange, I compared it against the NAT and same result as with the Ref 3, but Jadis vocals and solo instruments had magic. SO maybe I should get a JPL and have those mods, and buy a NAT, and swap depending on mood

All demos included Mussorgsky Pictures, Scherezade, and Mahler 2 beginning. Also Bach Cantata 140 choral and duet

What was the amplifier and source? My friend had an ARC CD7, this could influence the result.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry to say, much, much superior ...

Ok, I heard the JPS2 which is the same as the JP 80 without a phono stage.

To answer the source question, I heard the Ref 3 with a Lector CD, and then Jadis with an Ayon CD. But that said, I know people who have replaced their CAT, VTL 7.5 Mk3 and other high end stuff with the NAT, and for a neutral, separation, real, dynamic preamp I am not looking at anything else. Jadis JPS2 for me had a very beautiful magic in the midrange, maybe accuracy snobs will call it tube distortion, not sure, but I loved it. It had very poor bass, dynamics and separation as compared to the NAT. So I want both, which is why I was looking at low cost used JPL and getting the mods mentioned in that link.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ok, I heard the JPS2 which is the same as the JP 80 without a phono stage.

To answer the source question, I heard the Ref 3 with a Lector CD, and then Jadis with an Ayon CD. But that said, I know people who have replaced their CAT, VTL 7.5 Mk3 and other high end stuff with the NAT, and for a neutral, separation, real, dynamic preamp I am not looking at anything else. Jadis JPS2 for me had a very beautiful magic in the midrange, maybe accuracy snobs will call it tube distortion, not sure, but I loved it. It had very poor bass, dynamics and separation as compared to the NAT. So I want both, which is why I was looking at low cost used JPL and getting the mods mentioned in that link.

Sorry, I apologize for my ignorance, what is the NAT and what was the amplifier being used?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyway I am not going to get the JPS2, it's too expensive. I will look for an used JPL and mod it, I think

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Anyway I am not going to get the JPS2, it's too expensive. I will look for an used JPL and mod it, I think

It is also an excellent choice. You can get used ones very cheap from France - as usual a product is much less appreciated in its home country. ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Bonzo,

I have lived with the JPL for 22 or so years. I was enamored by it the first time I heard it in a friend's house and later at a showroom. Through those years, I've learned to roll the tubes in the mid 90s to great effect. There is a big difference with the then stock EI Yugo tubes and the NOS Teles and Mullards I got from Vintage Tube services then. Since then, I have used Mullard, late 50s long plate square getter versions and the sound became lovelier. I've heard the JPSIIs a few times and it is leaner in the mids though extended in both ends compared to the JPL. It would be interesting to roll some caps in my JPL someday.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I would like feedback on this link http://www.high-endaudio.com/Modifications.html

He has modded the JP80. Does this look expensive, and will it get JPL to more dynamic levels, and improve bass as well?

The mods look complicated to me. And testing 7 or 8 brands of caps can be a bit mind boggling after all the soldering and de-soldering. Easier to just plug and unplug different brands of tubes. :D

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Well well, looks like I'm having an equally great time with the JPL.

My Act2 went bonkers again and is off to QLD for a while. My dealer buddy said he's just got in a used preamp and that I should try it on my system, and see what it does.
I brought it home Friday night and all I can say is wow!

TheJPL has been modified with some newer tubes and fancy caps. It has also been placed in to a Sound Reference chassis so in doesn't look like a Jadis at all. Just two knobs on the right, level control and input selector and that's it!

From the get go, it is far more powerful, strong dynamic presentation, more oomph factor and higher gain that the Act2. It also images pretty well and is a very robust sound with all the bass thuds and dynamic transients, sort of sounds like a Mac pre.

Having said that, the Act2 is way more smoother, and far more musical. The Act2 also has greater depth and that glorious sound stage. Airy highs and smooth palpable midrange, this the JPL can't do.

But I'm really not missing the Act2, and I'm allowed to hang on to the JPL until the act2 gets back.

Great preamp from Jadis, well done!
Cheers, RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My experience as quite the reverse. What I heard, what jadis is known for, is it's glorious midrange. Not dynamics or bass, which other preamps do better. Have to try the act2 sometime

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Bonzo, good to hear that you are interested in listening to the Act2.

The Jadis JPL is not bad in the midrange, it's just that c-j does a far better job with midrange and highs equally good in the bass, hence overall c-j is a well balanced sound. And when mated with Quad stats it is very hard to beat. The overall presentation has plenty of depth, a full 3D soundstage, and awesome imaging with clarity.

There is another interesting thing these past few weeks, I managed to get the Omicron's and Epsilon at home on my very own system for a week. I have posted this as a new thread.

I don't think you will find an Act2 out there quite easily. They are no longer made and it's successor is the Gat which retails for a high-end price. The Act2 was c-j's top of the line preamp when launched in 2004/05.

It is an awesome preamp and when partnered with top of the line c-j power amps that is one very special sound.
After having the AA ribbons in my c-j system, I am now beginning to appreciate my Quads even more!

There are certain things the AA's just couldn't deliver compared to the stats.

Anyway, getting back to Jadis, c-j is a cut above Jadis, and you will find even the most entry level gear from cj starts around 4 grand and upwards... c-j is a whole different ball game mate.
Cheers, and happy findings.
RJ

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just put back my JPL again after so many months of hiatus while I was playing with a Minimax Line preamp. I installed some recent new arrival Mullard Long plates Square getter tubes on the JPL and I must say that the midrange quality of the JPL is lovely, alluring, and airy, but not overly thick or lush as the Minimax. Compared to the vintage 'tube sound' gears, the JPL mid can be a bit leaner but lovely and certainly not dry sounding. But, in terms of dynamics, as Big Dog mentioned, the JPL is indeed fantastic, bass is thunderous and tight, with a spacious 3D soundstage that is very delineated and images are very focused. It is a very satisfying preamp, projecting artistry in music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing