So I like Sophie Millman and Melody Gardot - Recommend me some more!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Found a new CD on amazon for just $7 including shipping so ordered that way.

Amir
Frugal eager beaver. :D
Good find, while I have most if not all their releases, I favor ' Out of this Mood' which is the first one I picked up.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
These ladies are a very different level of song bird and in a class of their own…

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Stacey Kent for the current group.

david

I don't understand a thing she is saying but lovely music regardless :). Had to order the disc from UK. No downloads and local prices were substantially higher! So let you know how it sounds a month from now :D.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Amir, I have downloaded most of Stacey Kent's albums from Qobuz. They are CD rips but sound sensational. Her husband and band leader and superb tenor man, Jim Tomlinson, is a stickler for sound. I had the pleasure of meeting both at Birdland on their recent trip to the US as per the picture in the concerts thread here at WBF. They will be back in January. Stacey is a Jersey girl who now lives in the UK. Sings in French and Portugese in addition to English and is quite the star in Europe. her and the band put on a great show. Jim plays the tenor in the style of Ben Webster and sounds superb.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Its available on Amazon, track from her Raconte Moi Album

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MM3YQU/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp
There is actually a better link with lower prices: http://www.amazon.com/Raconte-Moi-STACEY-KENT/dp/B0037Z3D22

I just chose to buy through the UK distributor on Amazon because of lower prices and not being in a hurry.

Oh excellent! Amazon including prime shipping was selling it for just $2.55!!! So I ordered it :). Thanks a bunch.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Dreamer-Conce.../ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Best bargain in a long time! They have 14 more if others want to take advantage before they catch their mistake.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Cecile is a pretty good one to check out. Her debut album WomanChild is a must have. A few others I'd suggest, very much in that same sultry mode as Melody and Sophie, would be Jane Monheit, Laura Fygi, Marilyn Scott, Jeanie Bryson (Dizzy's daughter), Rachelle Ferrell, Kellye Gray (Standards in Gray is highly recommended) . China Moses, daughter of Dee Dee Bridgewater, has an album she did with Ralphael Lemmonier called This One is for Dinah that's pretty nice too. Currently, I have Jaimee Paul, Somi and Zara McFarlane on heavy rotation.

Yes, WomanChild is a must have. I'll check out your other suggestions.

Here's another one you might like:

Attachments

• mac1087_200__art_img.jpg
    mac1087_200__art_img.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 254

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
If not previously mentioned, the new Melody Gardot release / Currency of Man is outstanding.

PS: Much more engaging IMHO than the previous releases with some great lyrics and musicianship. On the "dark" side of the equation.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing