Jadis JPS2

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, does anyone know any other pre which has the midrange magic of Jadis JPS2 plus more resolution on complex orchestral music and more control in the bass? Or if Jadis can be combined with a Krell FPB to achieve both?

Also, is the JPL similar in midrange to the JPS2?

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
on another thread (called 'preamp shootout') I described a few tests that I did in my system. What comes closest to what I tested and gives what you are probably looking for is the VAC Signature mk2 preamp. It gave a new dimension to complex orchestral passages and was still very rich in its midrange with vocal or chamber music...

All the best,
Michel

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. I saw that you also compared AR on that thread. Can you tell me the softened between VAC, JPL and AR on midrange vocals, solo instruments, and complex symphony? I know the latter two preamp, so can use your feedback to calibrate

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Don't know what you mean by 'softened' but the differences that i recall were that the AR (watch out as it was the 5 version but non-SE) was a bit more throwing the image so vocals an individual instruments jumped out and had a nice warm sound (though giving in on soundstage width and focus), almost addictive, certainly liked the AR less on complex pieces though the SE version could maybe be a remedy as it has a better power supply. I never tried the Jadis, unfortunately.

Anyway, I learned that density of timbres always comes at the expense of the soundstage and focus, except maybe with the very best preamps that cost an arm and a leg (like the VAC).

My solution is going DAC direct, i.e. without a preamp, and that works very very nice in my setup, it bettered the Zanden 3000 pre I eventually had chosen.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Softened seems to be an autocorrect, I thinkthe word I.was typing was difference. Yes, the AR is not good on complex music, nor is the Jadis, but the midrange of the latter is awesome. For complex music my favorite ous NAT Audio from Serbia, so I.might get one NAT and one Jadis lol

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Softened seems to be an autocorrect, I thinkthe word I.was typing was difference. Yes, the AR is not good on complex music, nor is the Jadis, but the midrange of the latter is awesome. For complex music my favorite ous NAT Audio from Serbia, so I.might get one NAT and one Jadis lol

Which NAT preamp is that then? the Symmetrical, the Magnetic or Magnetostat? Have you heard them? If so, what is the difference between them and with the JPL2?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO Jadis preamplifiers will not be able to control the unique bass of a big Krell. Can I ask what is exactly your Krell FPB? There is a very large sound difference between the members of the family. I am not familiar with the JPS2, but had some great experiences with the JP80 - is it the JS2 something like a JP80 without phono?

If you ever connect a Jadis preamplifier to a Krell you must check if the Krell coupling capacitors were not overridden, as when we use it with most SS preamplifiers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Don't know what you mean by 'softened' but the differences that i recall were that the AR (watch out as it was the 5 version but non-SE) was a bit more throwing the image so vocals an individual instruments jumped out and had a nice warm sound (though giving in on soundstage width and focus), almost addictive, certainly liked the AR less on complex pieces though the SE version could maybe be a remedy as it has a better power supply. I never tried the Jadis, unfortunately.

Anyway, I learned that density of timbres always comes at the expense of the soundstage and focus, except maybe with the very best preamps that cost an arm and a leg (like the VAC).

My solution is going DAC direct, i.e. without a preamp, and that works very very nice in my setup, it bettered the Zanden 3000 pre I eventually had chosen.

Did you ever try the Octave HP 300 preamplifier in your system with the MRE220's?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMHO Jadis preamplifiers will not be able to control the unique bass of a big Krell. Can I ask what is exactly your Krell FPB? There is a very large sound difference between the members of the family. I am not familiar with the JPS2, but had some great experiences with the JP80 - is it the JS2 something like a JP80 without phono?

If you ever connect a Jadis preamplifier to a Krell you must check if the Krell coupling capacitors were not overridden, as when we use it with most SS preamplifiers.

The Rockport distributor here regularly does Jadis + Krell since he deals in both. He has some very customized Jadis gear for himself which is super expensive

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Which NAT preamp is that then? the Symmetrical, the Magnetic or Magnetostat? Have you heard them? If so, what is the difference between them and with the JPL2?

I have heard the Symmetrical, the discontinued Utopia, and the Magnetostat. The last one is the reference, and I have not listened to it at length like the first two. The first two are better than anything I know on complex music, bass, and realism. The Jadis is just superb in midrange, warm, beautiful. Weak on other fronts relatively like complex music and bass. I know someone who owned Magnetostat, Einstein, and VTL 7.5 MkIII and Siegfried and prefers the Magnetostat and the NAT power amps by a wide margin. NAT though valves sounds more SS compared to Jadis. Heard of someone who replaced all his CAT gear with NAT. The power amps are too hot and dangerous though, plate voltage of over a 1000, unless you can tuck them safely into a corner. I think I will end up with both Jadis and NAT

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Did you ever try the Octave HP 300 preamplifier in your system with the MRE220's?

No, I didn't. I did test the HP700SE though and compared to my DAC direct solution I didn't think it added enough. It is a very neutral and transparent type of preamp and in its sort is very good. If you want a preamp that hardly adds anything (it does give timbres a slight touch of more organic feel) and able to handle complex music, have wide stagewidth, very low noise floor etc, then the Octave certainly is the way to go. Hence, it is a preamp that doesn't delete anything neither, which is another of its virtues!

I didn't mention that preamp because I think Bonzo is looking for real tubewarmth... which the Octave does not add like a Jadis or all-tube preamp does.

I replaced my Lamm 1.2 reference though by the monoblocs of Octave which allowed me to really jump in quality of reproduction!

Last edited:

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
The Rockport distributor here regularly does Jadis + Krell since he deals in both. He has some very customized Jadis gear for himself which is super expensive

Does that distributor amplify the Rockport speakers with Jadis? If so, I would be curious to learn which model that is?

I once tested a monobloc amp from Voxativ (single 845 tube per channel) on my Aviors and they were great in bass and midrange but hardly any stagewidth or depth, highs became shrill and complex passages became a bit of a melting pot. But on chamber music and a lot of jazz for example it was glorious!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Does that distributor amplify the Rockport speakers with Jadis? If so, I would be curious to learn which model that is?

I once tested a monobloc amp from Voxativ (single 845 tube per channel) on my Aviors and they were great in bass and midrange but hardly any stagewidth or depth, highs became shrill and complex passages became a bit of a melting pot. But on chamber music and a lot of jazz for example it was glorious!

Not sure - call up Mik on +44 1923 235 423, tell him you got his number from Kedar, he will be quite happy to chat. He did say his favorite amps were JA 200s, but not sure how he uses them on Rockport, though I know he does use Jadis on Rockport. His own Jadis are heavily modded platinum transformers and not commercially viable, I think.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I have heard the Symmetrical, the discontinued Utopia, and the Magnetostat. The last one is the reference, and I have not listened to it at length like the first two. The first two are better than anything I know on complex music, bass, and realism. The Jadis is just superb in midrange, warm, beautiful. Weak on other fronts relatively like complex music and bass. I know someone who owned Magnetostat, Einstein, and VTL 7.5 MkIII and Siegfried and prefers the Magnetostat and the NAT power amps by a wide margin. NAT though valves sounds more SS compared to Jadis. Heard of someone who replaced all his CAT gear with NAT. The power amps are too hot and dangerous though, plate voltage of over a 1000, unless you can tuck them safely into a corner. I think I will end up with both Jadis and NAT
any new path since those days? I am curious since I am searching for some great preamp, I am still remembering sound of my ex Jadis JPS8

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I have Magnetic on loan. did not like, very dissapointed, slow, bassy, non detail, could not listened to him, packed it quickly....I still remmember my ex Jadis JPS8 symetric, it was wonderfull and i wonder how it would sound in my present system, I will borrow at least DPL from my friend soon to get some grasp on it

Reactions: bonzo75

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I have Magnetic on loan. did not like, very dissapointed, slow, bassy, non detail, could not listened to him, packed it quickly....I still remmember my ex Jadis JPS8 symetric, it was wonderfull and i wonder how it would sound in my present system, I will borrow at least DPL from my friend soon to get some grasp on it
I have to apologize for my comment, although it was true at the time I was writing this negative sentence. Today weird thing happened a nd that how it sometimes goues in this audio world. I bought speakers Hornnig Agalme and the seller broughtthem to my house today. We played it in axact setup as with Tannoy Westmisnter. I was not very happy, yes sound was really transparent but I missed full body I am used to, the sound was thin and not juicy. Pink faun to Tambaqui and straight to my SE-833 monoblocks. It should just fine but it did not as said. I could not back up from sale, guy wanted money upfront before we moved to my listening room upstairs, uff, it was hard work. Just before he was going to leave and take his preamp Magnetic home, I asked to test it with these speakers. Wow, my jaw dropped on the floor, the sound completely changed, suddenly the sound was transparent, full and beautifull. I expected sound to get better but not this man. Crazy experience. Now I know I have to get great preamp with these sensitive speakers, they will not forgive anything in the chain. I was just feeling I have to correct my negative statement that Magnetic with Tannoy and SE-88 did not work but with Agalme it did and beautifully. NAT sorry

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Anyway I am going to borrow entry level Jadis DPL from my friend to try how it is gonna sound in my present system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing