What do you DO while listening?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
When you're listening to music, do you typically accompany that with another activity such as reading, writing, work, surfing the web?

I find if I'm not critically listening and if the music isn't the type that demands my full attention I'm often catching up on news, email, forums etc. Sometimes the mail. Sometimes a casual iPad game.

How many of you do nothing but concentrate on the music when listening?

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I read WBF!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i listen only to my system maybe 1% of the time...generally i listen while i work in the evenings and weekends. That's why i like the investment into the system...i can enjoy it as much as 40 hours a week in the evenings and weekends. We also enjoy music (jazz like Ella, Brubeck, Sonny Stitts, etc) during dinner.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'm 25%-33% dedicated music only (dim lights, eyes resting not quite shut) of the approximately 35-40 hours per week I listen. I would not describe this time as 'critical' listening unless I've got some sort of decision process happening. I try not to think too much about the sound, but rather allow the sound to sometimes get my attention. I like to let things happen rather than make them happen.

the balance of the listening time is combined with on-line surfing/forums/news/sports or reading (mostly fiction). some weeks mostly reading, other weeks mostly on-line. I average reading 3-6 books a month.

I have no video in my listening room (other than my lap-top). upstairs in the barn loft I have my sports watching lair, in the house I have a dedicated Home Theatre (4k projector, 10' screen).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Heavy multi-tasker here :). There are times when I am critically evaluating gear, or listening to a stellar reproduction and in those cases, I am focused 1000% on the music. Other times I am doing other things in addition to enjoying the music.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
90% of the time I do nothing but sit and listen to LPs, mostly for pleasure, but occasionally, critically when trying to learn something about a recording or analog adjustments, gear evaluation, etc. I rarely change equipment now, though. 10% of the time, we have company over for drinks in the living (listening) room followed by dinner in the dining room and an LP may be playing as background music.

I used to read while listening, but my system was much less engaging then. Now, I find I can't (or don't want to) do both at the same time.

Interesting post, Madfloyd.

esldude

Mostly just listen.

Next most often listen with friends with some small talk before or after dinner.

Then a little bit of listening at low level while reading.

Don't often listen while browsing the internet (and it will usually be the FM radio or internet radio those times).

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Like PeterA 90% of the time I do nothing but sit and listen to CDs, i haven't listend to vinyl since 1983 could not stand surface noise not even one tic or pop that is the reason i chose CDs as my medium, if you can accept the surface noise good for you as for ME no way.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Right now I am using my iPad and reading various audio forums, and news sites. In a bit I will just be listening to whatever is playing. I have a classical playlist close to 5,000 selections on random play that I listen to 99% of the time. Generally, this is playing whenever I am home. The only time it is paused is when I eat dinner, and watch Big Bang Theory reruns, or watch a Blueray.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . .i haven't listend to vinyl since 1983 could not stand surface noise not even one tic or pop that is the reason i chose CDs as my medium, if you can accept the surface noise good for you as for ME no way.

Surface noise ruins the performance. It is the largest source of noise in any system. Components are dead quiet. You hear surface noise the moment the needle drops to the time you lift it. But I digress, about a quarter of the time I am listening and not doing anything else. The rest of the time I am reading something entertaining, have friends over, going through the mail, paying bills or having dinner.

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Music is like a drug for me, notwithstanding that I don't drink or use drugs. I can forget where I am and lose time while listening. I try hard not to multitask while listening. I find multitasking to lower my musical enjoyment and reduce my concentration. Some studies suggest that chronic multitaskers have reduced IQ. I need all the help I can get. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The dedicated listening room is dedicated to listening albeit I sometimes putter around in there organizing stuff and the like. In the bedroom I read and surf with music playing.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Moving out of the sweet spot only reduces the imagining, not the full timbre and enjoyment of the music, anywhere in the room with my system. I am privileged to have music in my day from early morning to late at night. A large library, both LP's & CD's and HD allow a wide choice of experiences. A lot of time is spent reading, writing and surfing. Several hours each day are spent critically listening. Since it's an open floor plan, the music also spills throughout the house. Like a private box at the concert hall of old, with all the variety, including meals and intermission. Thus, my answer is: Life

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . I can forget where I am and lose time while listening. . . .
If I have to do something time dependent after listening to music, I set a timer to wake me in case I have fallen asleep.
. . . .I try hard not to multitask while listening. I find multitasking to lower my musical enjoyment and reduce my concentration. . . .
I don't find that doing other things while listening to music lowers my musical enjoyment as much as it makes doing distasteful things like the mail and paying bills less annoying.
. . . .Some studies suggest that chronic multitaskers have reduced IQ. I need all the help I can get. :D
I'm not so sure that eating dinner or going through the mail while listening to music constitutes multitasking. I would consider listening intently to music while writing medical reports, being on the telephone, texting and doing internet shopping at the same time to be more of what people consider multitasking. Not having music playing just leaves the house dead quiet except for the sound of clocks ticking.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's one thing I like doing with music playing but then I guess I'm not listening anymore…..napping :D

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
While listening to the main rig, it's just that, almost always critically, especially if a new piece, h/w or s/w is involved. While that may not seem it, I find that extremely relaxing and enjoyable, cuz it tends to sound so damn good. Other rooms have h/w for background while reading. Damned cold this morning, 12 above, shouldn't complain as we have been spoiled so far this winter.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Like PeterA 90% of the time I do nothing but sit and listen to CDs, i haven't listend to vinyl since 1983 could not stand surface noise not even one tic or pop that is the reason i chose CDs as my medium, if you can accept the surface noise good for you as for ME no way.

I stopped attending live concerts at Symphony Hall in 1993 because I could not stand the shifting lady next to me, or the odd cough three rows back. Not one, never. Talk about surface noise. Once, someone even dropped his program on the hard wooden floor, just as the cello receded and the hall was draping in silence. And the fool who mistakenly claps between movements....It ruins the whole performance for me, I tell you. And what is with the interruption during intermission. What is that all about? It simply kills the mood. I'm happy that most others can deal with such distractions. But me, I'll never go back.

Sorry, I just could not resist. No offense intended.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Music is like a drug for me, notwithstanding that I don't drink or use drugs. I can forget where I am and lose time while listening. I try hard not to multitask while listening. I find multitasking to lower my musical enjoyment and reduce my concentration. Some studies suggest that chronic multitaskers have reduced IQ. I need all the help I can get. :D

:)

+1

Happy Holidays Fellows!!!

Happy New year ... More music, more gear.

On more serious notes. Peace on Earth. Less suffering on this planet. Let's try to do our best to cause less damage to our own home, this planet. In the name of Wealth and comfort we have hurt our planet very badly. let's try to reverse that

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The only time I listen critically, whilst doing nothing else, is when I have a new piece of music or when I do a comparison between pressings. If I want to sit back and enjoy the music I usually have my tablet in front of me or I'm glancing over the record jacket. Sometimes, but not all times, I sit back and truly get immersed by it and I love that.

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
Used to enjoy critical listening in a well insulated room. Sometime enjoying the sound insulation to make love with my wife while listening to music on my favorite sofa...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing