New streamers from Aurender!

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Aurender launches two new streamers - the N100 and N10.

The N100 will be available in January followed by the N10 in March 2015. Both offers NAS connectivity with full cover art browsing etc. The N10 will also have internal storage capacity of 1TB (SSD).

Prices are not yet official.

More info: http://www.aurender.com/page/audiophile

Aurender N100

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks Hyperion!

Please update us when the pricing is available.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The N100 will be available at the same price as the current X100S(6TB) at approx. 3.500 USD.
The N10 will be slightly more expensive than the S10(2GB) at approx. 7.000 USD.
Hope that helps.

Hi Hyperion,
Great info!
Many thanks!

tonypdb

Jan 4, 2015
Hi Hyperion,
I noticed you are also a dealer for Jeff Rowland. I am auditioning different electronics and so fare JR Aries and M925's are on the top of my list. Since I am also considering the Aurender, I had a few questions that maybe you can give me some insight.
The Aurender is not available in Italy so I will not be able to have a listen before i decide.

Considering the X100 has the "better" version of the usb out does it sound better than the S10?
In addition, since the JR Aries is built around the concept of spidif as the better and higher resolution connection, would it be better to go with S10? Or an X100 with a converter such as the Audiophile 1 with battery power?

Thanks,
Tony

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Hyperion,
I noticed you are also a dealer for Jeff Rowland. I am auditioning different electronics and so fare JR Aries and M925's are on the top of my list. Since I am also considering the Aurender, I had a few questions that maybe you can give me some insight.
The Aurender is not available in Italy so I will not be able to have a listen before i decide.

Considering the X100 has the "better" version of the usb out does it sound better than the S10?
In addition, since the JR Aries is built around the concept of spidif as the better and higher resolution connection, would it be better to go with S10? Or an X100 with a converter such as the Audiophile 1 with battery power?

Thanks,
Tony

Hi Hyperion,
Another question : according to the table at the bottom of this page ( http://www.aurender.com/page/audiophile ), S10 has mixed linear & switching psu whereas N100 has full-linear psu.
Will N100 has better sonics?

Hi Tony,
The new Hydra-Z of Audiobyte has better performance than most DDC in the market. Price very reasonable.
http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-z

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi Tony,

Answers below!

Hi Hyperion,

I still consider the S10 using the coax-output (+a high quality cable) to be superior to the S10 or X100 over USB.

I would most definately recommend the upcoming N10 in this context! The S10 is no longer available.

Hope that helps.

/ Marcus

Last edited:

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi Hyperion,
Another question : according to the table at the bottom of this page ( http://www.aurender.com/page/audiophile ), S10 has mixed linear & switching psu whereas N100 has full-linear psu.
Will N100 has better sonics?

I'm not so sure... I've asked Aurender a similar question recently, where the answer was "it depends...on the components and hardware of the rest of the system...". The S10 will soon be officially discontinued.

tonypdb

Jan 4, 2015
Thanks for the advice. I had no idea the S10 was going out of production. They chose to replace it with the N10? Which is a streamer, not a server? Although you can use a NAS and it saves it to the onboard memory before the signal is sent to the DA. They believe this to be a better solution than an onboard HD?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I'm not so sure... I've asked Aurender a similar question recently, where the answer was "it depends...on the components and hardware of the rest of the system...". The S10 will soon be officially discontinued.

Thanks Marcus!

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Thanks for the advice. I had no idea the S10 was going out of production. They chose to replace it with the N10? Which is a streamer, not a server? Although you can use a NAS and it saves it to the onboard memory before the signal is sent to the DA. They believe this to be a better solution than an onboard HD?

I believe that more and more customers wants a combination of NAS and internet streaming capabilities, i.e. externally stored music on a local network combined with WiMP / Tidal compability etc. That said, both the new N100 and N10 can be equipped with internal storage as well (1TB initially at least). I do believe the N10 to be the replacement of the S10 - and more.

/ Marcus

tonypdb

Jan 4, 2015
Sounds like it will be a very interesting product. I guess I will need to wait and see. Thanks again.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Please allow me to share information on the new products.

The N100 will be shipping next month, and I have some on order. Priced at $2499, it will also be available with a 1TB SSD drive (in addition to the 120GB SSD caching drive) for approx. $500 additional.

The price of the N10 is not yet final, but the price mentioned above is not accurate. I can post it once they disseminate the information.

The firmware on the N100 and N10 will support cover art and metadata of music stored on a NAS, and the firmware of other models such as the X100L and W20 will be updated to provide this functionality as well.

All Aurender models will support Tidal lossless music streaming.

kenreau

Sep 11, 2014
I'm intending to purchase one of the Aurender models. I have an opportunity to purchase a friends S10 for approximately the cost of a new X100L model and I am attempting to evaluate if an additional USB-to-SPDIF convertor device (and cost) may be needed to optimize the sound quality of a X100 (or N100) with USB output only, compared to the S10 (with SPDIF and AES outputs)

In theory, should the digitial SPDIF (or AES) output of the S10 Aurender be the ideal digital signal (by avoiding the kluge USB conversion) when your DAC appliance can accept it? I have a Devialet 200 which can accept digital SPDIF, AES or USB.

Intuitively, it seems like SPDIF source to SPDIF destination (or AES to AES) digital signal would be ideal, but also reading about s.o.t.a. product reviews like the Berkeley Reference DAC where the manufacturer (Berkeley) even recommends using their USB-to-SPDIF convertor for optimum sound [with a computer USB digital source] makes me wonder. Maybe the isolation and reclocking processes of a high quality convertor out weigh the kluge USB conversions?

Thanks!
Kenreau

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm intending to purchase one of the Aurender models. I have an opportunity to purchase a friends S10 for approximately the cost of a new X100L model and I am attempting to evaluate if an additional USB-to-SPDIF convertor device (and cost) may be needed to optimize the sound quality of a X100 (or N100) with USB output only, compared to the S10 (with SPDIF and AES outputs)

In theory, should the digitial SPDIF (or AES) output of the S10 Aurender be the ideal digital signal (by avoiding the kluge USB conversion) when your DAC appliance can accept it? I have a Devialet 200 which can accept digital SPDIF, AES or USB.

Intuitively, it seems like SPDIF source to SPDIF destination (or AES to AES) digital signal would be ideal, but also reading about s.o.t.a. product reviews like the Berkeley Reference DAC where the manufacturer (Berkeley) even recommends using their USB-to-SPDIF convertor for optimum sound [with a computer USB digital source] makes me wonder. Maybe the isolation and reclocking processes of a high quality convertor out weigh the kluge USB conversions?

Thanks!
Kenreau

Hard to generalize - results will vary by DAC implementation. Most DACs will perform best using the USB interface, precisely because it is an asynchronous architecture. A very high grade USB converter may equal or trump it, but only if the DAC clocking is of lesser caliber than the converter. I personally believe any answer you get without specifying which DAC you are planning to use will be meaningless.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com

Thanks!
Kenreau

Comparing USB output between the S10 and X100L, I understand the X100L sounds better, likely due to its implementation being the same as on the flagship W20. I would take that comment about conversion with a grain of salt.

kenreau

Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

edorr - The DAC is integral as part of my Devialet 200. From the specifications, all I know is it is a T.I. PCM1792 (24bits/192kHz) processor. No DSD currently. The Devialet does accept digital SPDIF, AES, Ethernet or USB. The USB input is asynchronous. I've read that others have had best results using the USB input. Devialet suggests their AIR/Ethernet input as best. I have yet to read of anyone using a SPDIF digital source in to the SPDIF input on the Devialet. Maybe I'll be the first?

Brian - please clarify what your conversion comment is referring to. Adding an independent USB-to-SPDIF convertor? or, the server/source digital conversion to output USB and then the destination DAC doing the USB to SPDIF internal conversion (my kluge USB reference).

I was hoping there would be a consensus around an ideal digital "bridge" of sorts (be it SPDIF to SPDIF, or USB to SPDIF, et al) from server/source to the DAC. Sounds like the S10 would be the safe solution to allow me to experiment with its various outputs?

Thanks
Kenreau

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

edorr - The DAC is integral as part of my Devialet 200. From the specifications, all I know is it is a T.I. PCM1792 (24bits/192kHz) processor. No DSD currently. The Devialet does accept digital SPDIF, AES, Ethernet or USB. The USB input is asynchronous. I've read that others have had best results using the USB input. Devialet suggests their AIR/Ethernet input as best. I have yet to read of anyone using a SPDIF digital source in to the SPDIF input on the Devialet. Maybe I'll be the first?

Brian - please clarify what your conversion comment is referring to. Adding an independent USB-to-SPDIF convertor? or, the server/source digital conversion to output USB and then the destination DAC doing the USB to SPDIF internal conversion (my kluge USB reference).

I was hoping there would be a consensus around an ideal digital "bridge" of sorts (be it SPDIF to SPDIF, or USB to SPDIF, et al) from server/source to the DAC. Sounds like the S10 would be the safe solution to allow me to experiment with its various outputs?

Thanks
Kenreau

If others report USB as best source, I would go that route. However, their recommendation of streaming (over ethernet) being superior to USB is consistent with my experience with using the PS audio bridge, which is by for the most cost effective way to feed their DAC.

I would personally stay away from aurender all together if the devialet has a good streaming interface, and just set up a server with DLNA and control your library with Jremote on the iPad at much lower cost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing