New streamers from Aurender!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I'm intending to purchase one of the Aurender models. I have an opportunity to purchase a friends S10 for approximately the cost of a new X100L model and I am attempting to evaluate if an additional USB-to-SPDIF convertor device (and cost) may be needed to optimize the sound quality of a X100 (or N100) with USB output only, compared to the S10 (with SPDIF and AES outputs)
In theory, should the digitial SPDIF (or AES) output of the S10 Aurender be the ideal digital signal (by avoiding the kluge USB conversion) when your DAC appliance can accept it? I have a Devialet 200 which can accept digital SPDIF, AES or USB.
Intuitively, it seems like SPDIF source to SPDIF destination (or AES to AES) digital signal would be ideal, but also reading about s.o.t.a. product reviews like the Berkeley Reference DAC where the manufacturer (Berkeley) even recommends using their USB-to-SPDIF convertor for optimum sound [with a computer USB digital source] makes me wonder. Maybe the isolation and reclocking processes of a high quality convertor out weigh the kluge USB conversions?
Thanks! Kenreau

Hi Kenreau,

I have a frd who is using Devialet 400 monos and Aurender S10.

He tried the two connection configurations of S10 to D400 and told me that the USB input of Devialet was mediocre. Its spdif digital inputs gave better performance. It may be because the usb-to-spdif circuit of S10 is better than the internal one of Devialet.

BTW the new Audiobyte Hydra-Z DDC is very very good. Adding a linear psu further improves its performance. The price is much lower than the legendary Berkeley Audio DDC.
http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-z

CK

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Brian - please clarify what your conversion comment is referring to. Adding an independent USB-to-SPDIF convertor?
Yes. Unless there is a serious need for conversion, I don't recommend it.

kenreau

Sep 11, 2014
CK, thank you, very relative feedback I was hoping for.

I'm not completely clear though - your friend is using the S10 SPDIF output to the D400 SPDIF input for best sound quality? (no USB?)

I'm curious if you may know if he also tried the AES output (and input)?

I sourced this from the Devialet site; If your player and your Devialet are equipped with an AES/EBU output, we highly recommend using it to interconnect your devices. The RCA inputs are similarly qualitative but can be more sensitive to the output level of the source. Therefore, we advise you, whenever possible, to use an RCA-to-XLR hybrid cable or an RCA/XLR adapter to connect the player's digital out to the AES/EBU input. In both cases, please use a genuine 110? or 75? digital cable to link both devices

If I end up going the USB route, I'll definitely check out the Hydra Z. Thanks.

Thanks
Kenreay

Hi Kenreau,

I have a frd who is using Devialet 400 monos and Aurender S10.

He tried the two connection configurations of S10 to D400 and told me that the USB input of Devialet was mediocre. Its spdif digital inputs gave better performance. It may be because the usb-to-spdif circuit of S10 is better than the internal one of Devialet.

BTW the new Audiobyte Hydra-Z DDC is very very good. Adding a linear psu further improves its performance. The price is much lower than the legendary Berkeley Audio DDC.
http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-z

CK

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK, thank you, very relative feedback I was hoping for.
I'm not completely clear though - your friend is using the S10 SPDIF output to the D400 SPDIF input for best sound quality? (no USB?)
I'm curious if you may know if he also tried the AES output (and input)?
I sourced this from the Devialet site; If your player and your Devialet are equipped with an AES/EBU output, we highly recommend using it to interconnect your devices. The RCA inputs are similarly qualitative but can be more sensitive to the output level of the source. Therefore, we advise you, whenever possible, to use an RCA-to-XLR hybrid cable or an RCA/XLR adapter to connect the player's digital out to the AES/EBU input. In both cases, please use a genuine 110? or 75? digital cable to link both devices
If I end up going the USB route, I'll definitely check out the Hydra Z. Thanks.
Thanks
Kenreay

Hi Kenreau,

My friend compared only the USB output vs Coaxial digital output of his S10 into his Devialet 400. Although S10 also has AES digital output, he didn't use this route. However, I guess USB connection is still the most inferior of the three routes.

CK

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Hi Kenreau,

My friend compared only the USB output vs Coaxial digital output of his S10 into his Devialet 400. Although S10 also has AES digital output, he didn't use this route. However, I guess USB connection is still the most inferior of the three routes.

CK

Again, because the X100L and the W20 have the same USB output section, their USB performance is superior to that of the S10.

kenreau

Sep 11, 2014
I submitted the port format question to Devialet and got a very prompt response;

Thierry Massoubre (Devialet)

Jan 14 09:13

Dear Ken,

Thanks for your message. Basically, the 3 inputs are as qualitative (provided that the USB output of the Aurender is asynchronous). The selecting factor will be more linked to the distance between the different elements.
A USB cable shouldn't be longer than 2 to 3m. If you intend to have a wider distance betwenn the Devialet and your server, you may consider using the AES/EBU input. Mind using a genuine 100 Ohm digital cable in this case.

I hope this helps you.

Best regards,

Thierry

Thanks
Kenreau

kenreau

Sep 11, 2014
Are any Aurender users using an intermediary master clock before their DAC? I was noodling this around and wondered what DDC clock product would be an upgrade and work given its not being served by a PC (with necessary windows or OS X drivers).

The Aurender website has a typical system configuration/ set up diagram that even shows a Master clock (optional).

Thanks
Kenreau

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes. Unless there is a serious need for conversion, I don't recommend it.

Aren't the power supplies in S10 and X100 different, does this affect SQ? X100 seems to be all SMPS, and S10 seems to be linear for audio components and SMPS for non-audio components

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Aren't the power supplies in S10 and X100 different, does this affect SQ? X100 seems to be all SMPS, and S10 seems to be linear for audio components and SMPS for non-audio components

Since I haven't had an S10 here but have the W20 and X100L, it's hard to say but it's possible. The new N100 and N10 have linear power supplies. At CES I asked Aurender about linear vs. switching with regard to the X100L and the N100 but didn't get a definitive answer -- it was more or less a plus/minus thing, i.e. not a clear cut distinction from what I gathered. It remains to be seen, which should be soon enough when the N100s show up here and I can put it up against the X100L.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I just got word from Aurender that the N100s should arrive here early next week.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
The new N10 (silver) arrived this morning - upper left. The W20 (black) is below it. Listening tonight.

N10_EA_2_50.jpg

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Inside:
N10_EA_3_75.jpg
The three linear power supplies are obvious. The two 2TB 2.5" hard drives and 240GB SSD caching drive are on the left near the front.

skolis

Mar 10, 2015
Re: the X100L: there is this comment on the aurender website:

"AMM and NAS(Network-Attached Storage) Support
If you already have NAS set-up, the Aurender X100 is able to play music stored on NAS devices"

Can anyone confirm from hands on personal experience that the 12TB capacity X100L will in fact also
work with NAS devices? ( I ask because I was previously advised that the X100 units were standalone only)
and,
does anyone have first had experience listening to this unit ( preferably compared to other aurender units) that
can comment on SQ?
Thanks

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Re: the X100L: there is this comment on the aurender website:

"AMM and NAS(Network-Attached Storage) Support
If you already have NAS set-up, the Aurender X100 is able to play music stored on NAS devices"

Can anyone confirm from hands on personal experience that the 12TB capacity X100L will in fact also
work with NAS devices? ( I ask because I was previously advised that the X100 units were standalone only)
and,
does anyone have first had experience listening to this unit ( preferably compared to other aurender units) that
can comment on SQ?
Thanks

All Aurender units including the X100-series supports NAS and Tidal streaming after recent software updates.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing