Jim Harbaugh agrees to take coaching job at Michigan

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Andy Fenelon NFL.com

Jim Harbaugh is finished in San Francisco. And now the former 49ers coach is headed to his latest rebuilding project -- the University of Michigan.

» Jim Harbaugh, 49ers mutually part ways
NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Monday that Harbaugh has agreed to take the Michigan job, although he has yet to sign a contract.

When the deal is signed, Harbaugh is expected to become college football's highest-paid coach, earning more than the $8 million per-year salary that was originally reported, sources told NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport. Nick Saban is the highest-paid college coach at $7.2 million per year. Harbaugh's number could reach as high as $9 million per year, according to Breer.

Oakland Raiders officials had hoped to speak with the coach before he left, Rapoport reported. It would have been tampering on the Raiders' part had they contacted Harbaugh before the 49ers' season was complete.

"There will be announcements made concerning those things," Harbaugh said Sunday night when asked about the Michigan job.

Per Rapoport, the Wolverines' hope is to have a press conference in Ann Arbor on Tuesday to announce the signing of Harbaugh. Harbaugh and his wife are expected to be on a 10 a.m. flight from the Bay Area to Ann Arbor Monday.

Harbaugh was a three-year starting quarterback at Michigan under Bo Schembechler in the mid-'80s, and led the 1985 team to a 10-1-1 record and a victory over Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl, a result that netted the Wolverines a No. 2 national ranking. He went on to become a first-round pick of the Chicago Bears in 1987.

Earlier this month, Michigan fired Brady Hoke after a 5-7 season -- only the third time the Wolverines missed a bowl game since 1975.

A once-proud football team will now turn to part of its past to restore glory in Ann Arbor.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Amazing how quickly the Big Ten has retooled. The SEC better watch out if Nebraska gets a quality coach...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
He's a great coach and his rivalry with Pete Carroll really pushed both franchises to be better. It will be fun to watch Harbaugh and Urban Meyer push each other.

I think the 49'ers owner is a problem.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Any idea who the next niners coach could be? They better get a good one ... Else many heads will roll

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You can't fire the owners Frantz. He's a terrific coach but from what I've heard he can become whiney to management and done said he lost control of the locker room. Sad to see Frank Gore go as well. Crabtree might also abandon ship

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I agree. He has raw potential but comes across as dumb and stupid when he's interviewed

That's exactly what I was going to say. Compared to the interviews of Cam Newton or Russell Wilson and it makes Kap look like a 6th grader....

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
That's exactly what I was going to say. Compared to the interviews of Cam Newton or Russell Wilson and it makes Kap look like a 6th grader....

:D

I thought I was alone ...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Presuming Dorsey and Bowman come back, the 49ers defensive front will be superb. They need to shore up defensive backfield, get younger on offense and get an OC who will take advantage of Kap's freakish skillset and not try and make him a classic pocket passer. They could be real good again, real fast.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I was sort of hoping he'd go to Oakland. Watch out for the Raiders. A coach like Harbaugh could have turned them around quickly. They have one of the best young QBs in the game in David Carr who looks like he will be a star. (Carr and Minnesota's rookie QB Bridgewater had very good rookie years).

Getting rid of Alex Smith for Kaepernick was a mistake. I'm sure the Chiefs don't mind at all!

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Can't believe they're going to pay him $8mil/yr.

My condolences!!

Splash in the bucket vs what the football program rakes in. 110K people at each game and that's obviosly just the tip of the iceberg.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing