Essence Electrostatic Loudspeakers

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

TimDH

Dec 28, 2014
You know, I'm on the fence about these speakers, but I wouldn't write them off because of the ad language. One big question I have comes down to more directional vs. omnidirectional speakers and which is preferable in real life. There's no question that directional speakers will have somewhat less room interaction. FYI, here's a link where the directionality has been measured between a bunch of different speakers. Essence come out directional, but less so than some electrostats. The directionality plots are pretty smooth vs frequency.

http://www.princeton.edu/3D3A/Directivity.html

Tim

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Wow

electrostatic speakers

who would have thought

oh my god and i am throwing out my class A cos

the ice caps are melting :(

God bless essence

no more magico boat anchors.......

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
These started off as Final electrostatic speakers. Yes, they were great speakers and I'm sure the new ones are as good as or better.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ah! Here we go again... yet another contender that says it all; it's simply has to be the best because it only costs around $6 grand for a complete system! (panels, pre-power amps and something else...) what about a gorgeous Dutch blonde along with the speakers eh? or perhaps just a beer would do, Heineken?
Uh oh! here comes the wife...

Well just a quick one; it seems like this chappy may be onto something, don't know. One thing for sure is their language skills need to be "up-sampled" to perhaps 192K...
If anyone out there does happen to audition a pair of these ultimate stats, do let us know the comparisons.

Someone mentioned that they were know as "Final" before, perhaps that went belly up, and now they've re-branded to a new target audience, obviously not the well versed audiophile or music lover for that matter.

I strongly believe he is trying to target the new-age audiophile/music enthusiast, who is only aware of large dynamic types or as he calls "conventional" speakers.
This chap will have to deliver a kick-ass performance in trade shows or establish a solid dealer network to break across the barriers. As for now, he seems to target that particular individual who is very geared towards on-line purchasing. Seems like this is a very bold step because personally I wouldn't purchase anything of this nature on-line.

Therefore, he is not targeting our crowd of seasoned audiophiles, he is shutting us totally out and going after the "hip" new "digital audiophile" who may actually spend only 3 grand on a pair of stats and call it "high-end". In their mind this seems to be justified because they are mostly used to headphones (Sennheiser, Sony, Beats, Bose, AKG etc)

I don't really know anything about these Essence stats, but one thing for sure is that Heineken is the essence of Beers!
So with that cheers!
RJ

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am somewhat amused by the Cold-ish reception these got from us here...They may actually deserve it. Their Marketing papers hits all the wrong-notes and there is a fair amount of bovine manure in this material but ... the proof is in the audition. Let's give them a chance to prove themselves by listenig with the minimum amount of negative bias to their products. We must realize and remember that most of the current darling of the audiophile world were at one point spewing the same kind of bovine bowel products :) as a matter of fact some still are e.g Synergistic Research ...

We have come to accept that 3k for a pair of speakers is cheap and there may be some good reasons for that ... It remains however that our endeavor, Audio has been going against the tide of technology for a while. IN High Tech better is routinely cheaper every year . Phones, Tablet, PC,and especially TVs where the progress is by bounds and leaps .. Audio goes the other way and we gladly comply with nary a complaint all the contrary we find all the justifications for the manufacturers.. What a compliant bunch, we audiophiles are! :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am somewhat amused by the Cold-ish reception these got from us here...They may actually deserve it. Their Marketing papers hits all the wrong-notes and there is a fair amount of bovine manure in this material but ... the proof is in the audition. Let's give them a chance to prove themselves by listenig with the minimum amount of negative bias to their products. We must realize and remember that most of the current darling of the audiophile world were at one point spewing the same kind of bovine bowel products :) as a matter of fact some still are e.g Synergistic Research ...

We have come to accept that 3k for a pair of speakers is cheap and there may be some good reasons for that ... It remains however that our endeavor, Audio has been going against the tide of technology for a while. IN High Tech better is routinely cheaper every year . Phones, Tablet, PC,and especially TVs where the progress is by bounds and leaps .. Audio goes the other way and we gladly comply with nary a complaint all the contrary we find all the justifications for the manufacturers.. What a compliant bunch, we audiophiles are! :D

I also am intrigued to hear these or learn more from others who do. I like panels (Apogee in particular remains stuck in my memory)...and if the business model is sell direct, a significant amount of savings can accrue to the retail buyer. I do not know the true math, but am told some business models are: Manufacturer sells $6K to Importer...who sells for $12K to local dealer...who retails for $25K. So buying $6K from manufacturer certainly could work very well...again, panels do tend to do some things exceedingly well, and when the panels are large enough to deliver slam and dynamics, it can be thrilling.

The Maggie MMG is a great example of what panel technology can do for a retail price of $600!

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I also am intrigued to hear these or learn more from others who do. I like panels (Apogee in particular remains stuck in my memory)...and if the business model is sell direct, a significant amount of savings can accrue to the retail buyer. I do not know the true math, but am told some business models are: Manufacturer sells $6K to Importer...who sells for $12K to local dealer...who retails for $25K. So buying $6K from manufacturer certainly could work very well...again, panels do tend to do some things exceedingly well, and when the panels are large enough to deliver slam and dynamics, it can be thrilling.

The Maggie MMG is a great example of what panel technology can do for a retail price of $600!

Agree 100% of course people have the right to doubt BUT when you have heard them then all there is left is how about reliability that is very important i heard these speakers way back did not think that it was that long ago but it was they sounded very very good BUT they where 10k - - - http://www.stereophile.com/ces2006/010606final/index.html - - - after the death of Acoustat ( USA ) the best bang for the buck speaker is Magnepan no other speaker even comes close FOR ME.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
The original Finals went out of business because of bad partners. This happened to Sanders electrostatic speaker and he came back by himself. The original designer of Final is now owner of the Essence Speaker. The original Finals were fantastic sounding and well worth their price. No these are not for audio idiots these are for people that are really serious about their music.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
The original Finals went out of business because of bad partners. This happened to Sanders electrostatic speaker and he came back by himself. The original designer of Final is now owner of the Essence Speaker. The original Finals were fantastic sounding and well worth their price. No these are not for audio idiots these are for people that are really serious about their music.

Agree 100% like almost all panels heavy metal lovers STAY AWAY.:)

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Someone over on the Audio Circle forum said that Essence will be coming out with model 1900 Electrostatic speaker that will go down to 38 hz ... sometime next summer.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
"Agree 100% like almost all panels heavy metal lovers STAY AWAY."

Correct- they are best suited for music lovers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing