vBulltin [Spoiler] tags option?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi,

Would it be possible to have Spoiler Tags as an option?

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ok I'll bite. What are they

Let's say someone writes a reply that is extremely long (6/7/8 paragraphs) and it takes up the half or all of your screen, and you want to reply to it. When you do via the Reply With Quote option it shows that entire post and then your response. A Spoiler Tag would allow me to highlight that Quote into a set of Spoiler tags...reducing the space it takes up on the screen. This can be done with images, video as well. Clicking the Spoiler Tag would open up whatever is hidden.

I hope I described it properly.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For some stupid reason, the Vbulletin developers have refused to implement this feature as a standard item. We can create it using custom code if there is enough demand.

It's a wonderfully useful feature, but I wouldn't want you to go through any trouble as I'm sure we can survive without it. I haven't seen this option as a standard feature with other forum software either.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I understand Johns point. I'd be interested in researching it John. I don't write code (except on my prescriptions dispensed) but Amir might. I will follow up with you John. Did you see it in another forum using vBulletin.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I understand Johns point. I'd be interested in researching it John. I don't write code (except on my prescriptions dispensed) but Amir might. I will follow up with you John. Did you see it in another forum using vBulletin.

Blu-ray.com

And it's used all the time.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
500 words down to 10 on a regular basis

Time is almost priceless & I could edit at least 33 quotes in the time it takes me to write this.
First do the normal Reply With Quote.
Now that it is in your personal reply:
Take your cursor & highlight [darken, etc.] the UN-wanted area; then Delete.
Do Not delete the beginning code quote & end quote; they tell the software what to do.
How long for each clean-up: 3 to 5 seconds once you are comfortable.
I take a 500 words down to 10 on a regular basis.
zz.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, John. One thing you can do to reference a particular post without seeing the entire post on your screen would be to do this;

1 - Hover over the post number you want referenced until it is underlined and click it. This will place the referenced post to the top of your page and provide a new URL directly to that post.
2 - Copy the URL of the new window.
3 - Paste the URL on the reply and respond.

Anybody who wants to see the referenced post can click the link to reference the post. Here's an example - I am going to reference everybody to your second post on this thread through the link here >>> http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...er-tags-option&p=298852&viewfull=1#post298852

You can even "quote" the link, if you would like.

Johnny Vinyl. This will link to his second post on this thread said:

Or you can just state, "In response to post #(fill in the blank or provide the link here).....".

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello Tom!

Thank you, and yes I was aware of that method. However I find it too convoluted and not intuitive at all. YMMV.

Personally I'd like to see Spoiler Tags, but it's not a huge issue for me. If it gets incorporated then I'll say "Thanks". If it doesn't, then I'll say "Thank you for your consideration!" and be done with it.

John :D

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I would much prefer the " like " button

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing