Metrum: New Flagship DAC arriving in Jan 2015

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Metrum comes out with a new flagship NOS (Non-Oversampling) R2R DAC, using its own in-house manufactured/designed DAC chips in R2R configuration (I believe)...should be very interesting to hear this one given the success that Metrum have had with well respected reviewers like Martin Colloms/HiFi Critic. Cost is roughly $5K...refreshing in a world of steep 5 and even 6-digit reference digital systems.

“Each DAC cluster processes a portion of the data in the most linear region of the DAC chips. The result of this process is an extremely high linearity, right down to -140 dB, which gives the Pavane a realistic 24 bit dynamic range."

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/12/metrum-acoustics-announce-pavane-dac/

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thanks for sharing. I will have to try this one. I have had both the Octave and Hex in my system - they sounded wonderful.

Trinity, TotalDAC, Metrum, MSB, Concert Fidelity, Zaden, the upcoming statement Shiit DAC - it seems that more and more manufacturers recognise the unique characteristics and superior sonics of R2R DACs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for sharing. I will have to try this one. I have had both the Octave and Hex in my system - they sounded wonderful.

Trinity, TotalDAC, Metrum, MSB, Concert Fidelity, Zaden, the upcoming statement Shiit DAC - it seems that more and more manufacturers recognise the unique characteristics and superior sonics of R2R DACs.

Great stuff! Look forward to your 'reviews'...you have a true reference with your Trinity so i particularly look forward to your thoughts!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Light Harmonics Da Vinci, Rockna Wavedream (and maybe dCS) are also R2R.

It seems that most of the top DACs in the market are in the R2R camp! haha

Exceptions maybe Esoteric, Gryphon & Accuphase.

porselen

Feb 28, 2013

I have ordered one, also very interrested in your comparison with the Trinity...

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
dCS is not R2R. I believe it is a hybrid design.

porselen

Feb 28, 2013
metrum pavane

Interested in how you found the Pavane DAC if you'd be so kind as to share your thoughts on it. TIA!

I have now enjoyed this dac for some time now.
It has been to my very satisfaction since i got it, it just makes me not wonder more on the source, just letting me hear the music flow so natural to my ears.
Yesterday, the performance reached a peak so far; playing hd tracks streamed in high rez format! i no longer crave for another dac, i am just so relaxed now.
What is so special with this dac is the naturalness it let the music flow, completely without grainlyness, the picture is so black and the instruments stand out so natural in the whole picture.
Hope this helps.

Paul

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Thanks very much Paul. I'd really like to know how the Metrum Pavane DAC compares to the Bricasti M1 DAC if anyone has heard them both.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing