New Genesis Products for 2015

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
After showing the prototypes last year, the new products are finally production ready. The G4 shown last year is being launched as the G-Force. It's grown up 10-inches (a hair over 1.5m tall), now sports a carbon fiber composite structure, twin spun-carbon-fiber servo-bass woofers and crossover improvements.

G-Force Vert.jpg

Attachments

• G-Force 2015.jpg
    G-Force 2015.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 687
Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Genesis Phono was shown at CES2014 almost by accident. We had a phono stage built into the Genesis SMc-1 preamplifier. But since we had the services of the stupendously good SMcAudio VRE-1C, we disabled all the circuitry in the Genesis preamp, channeled all the considerable power supply to the phono stage and that turned out to be stupendously good.

In fact, interest in the phono stage among our international dealers was higher than for the loudspeakers!! So, it's taken a year of concentrated work, but the Genesis Phono is production ready, and sounds even better than last year.

Phono Small.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
To show off the new phono stage, I'll be bringing my usual stash of albums. How I pick demo music is very simple - it must be fun and engaging. Unlike show-goers who can walk out if they find the music boring or sounding bad, I'm stuck in the room. I can't walk out if I don't like what I hear. Secondly, the music must have the dynamics, clarity and fidelity to show off the system. Instruments must sound like real instruments, and voices will have to sound like real voices.

The first album I put into my stash this year is my new reference standard - Lyn Stanley's fabulous Potions from the 50's. She's going to be hanging around at the room - and if anyone asks her to sing along with the album, the system MUST sound like her, or I'll have egg on my face.

Potions.jpg

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The Genesis Phono was shown at CES2014 almost by accident. We had a phono stage built into the Genesis SMc-1 preamplifier. But since we had the services of the stupendously good SMcAudio VRE-1C, we disabled all the circuitry in the Genesis preamp, channeled all the considerable power supply to the phono stage and that turned out to be stupendously good.

In fact, interest in the phono stage among our international dealers was higher than for the loudspeakers!! So, it's taken a year of concentrated work, but the Genesis Phono is production ready, and sounds even better than last year.

View attachment 18353

Yes. Have heard it sound very good indeed! Is your final design one box or two?

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Power supplies are always outboard. :) So two box.

{Edit} Gary just corrected me. The one I've been staring at for a year is the Platinum version (of course!) so it's two box. The Gold and Silver is only one box.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice. How would one be able to evaluate the phono?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary

I for one am interested in the features of your phono stage

All in good time..... specs and docs coming soon. As Carol tells me, if I hadn't been so anal about getting it to sound perfect, we'd have been ready much earlier for CES and not have to totally stress out over the holiday season again.

The Phono stage is very, very simple - and no simpler. Instead of bells and whistles, I went for sound - transparency and RIAA accuracy.

I'll work out a WBF Special where members can try it out in their own systems.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes. Have heard it sound very good indeed! Is your final design one box or two?

Yep - most of you have been privy to the prototypes. Were you at the first EXCO meeting where I had the battery-powered version? It's been 9 months of gestation :D

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
This was the second album I packed. It's an oddball. It's strange, weird but enjoyable all the same. Then, it becomes like a guilty pleasure and you only play it when you think that no one else is listening.

This is my guilty pleasure. The King's Singers are a British a cappella ensemble named after King's College Cambridge. Their popularity peaked in the early 1980's when I was in college in London. However, I found this CD a couple of years later and had been enjoying it off and on since then.... as a guilty pleasure.

Lately, I also managed to find a vinyl copy, and if you think that you're already got every interpretation of the Beatles already, you still need to get this one if you love the Beatles. It brings exquisite polyphonic singing to popular rock.

As a reference album, it is challenging. When the system is set up right, you get the soundstage, the air around each voice, and yet have all six voices in perfect harmony. Magical!!

Beatles Connection.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I've been demo-ing with a music server since CES 2006 when people laughed at me. Over the past 8 years, everytime I've been asked if I will sell my music server, the response has always been No, but here's the recipe and you can roll your own. Unfortunately, too many people take the recipe, decide that they can take short cuts and substitute ingredients and get the same result. Not! There have been quite a number of successful implementations, including the members of the local audio club who were guided to build one during a workshop.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1201-Music-Server-Project&p=20972&viewfull=1#post20972

Still, there are things that are just unexplainable. We can hear the difference, yet with nearly 30 years of computer science and IT experience under my belt, I can't come up with a good technical explanation for it. I've published a new recipe every year up to 2012, each one sounding better, but because the ingredients change over so fast, I can't keep up.

This CES, I will finally have a music server that someone could buy if they really wanted one. Sonically, it is a leap forward by moving away from the $%&@ Windows and Apple operating systems, firewalls and anti-virus programs. It is a dedicated, stand-alone stereo digital music source with a remote control. Don't expect it to also act as a music server for the ceiling speakers in your kitchen. It is purpose built and purpose designed for one thing only - Absolute Fidelity in your main stereo system.

Muse small.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here's an album that is positively different, and yet absolutely enjoyable. I was very blessed to have been present at Stephane Grappelli's last public concert. I was in the front row at the Singapore Concert Hall when he played sitting in a wheel chair. That concert left a very deep impression on me, and my love of jazz.

This is a live album of a jazz trio - playing violin, guitar and double bass. There may be other albums with this unusual combo, but I don't have any, nor have I heard of any other.

Three of my favourite jazz instrumentalists, recorded live, remixed by Dennis Sands. What could be better?

Live Tivoli Gardens.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
With the Muse on duty, a few digital albums to demo with......

This is a great album with Ben Webster on tenor sax. Great sound, great music from the DSD files ripped off the SACD.

My Romance.JPG

It swings, and it cooks - the quintet is in the groove and it shows. The recording was also exemplary - capturing perfectly over 60 minutes of straight-ahead jazz. An album to be enjoyed all the way through. I don't think that this one is available on high-rez. But the recording is so good that you would think that it is. No LP is available either..... as far as I know anyway.

John Cocuzzi.jpg

One of my favorite high-rez downloads of the year. I generally prefer first pressings, but these two LPs originally released by Roulette as Together for the First Time and The Great Reunion in the early 1960's are hard to find in NM. IMHO, the high-rez re-master from the original tapes was exceptionally well done.

Louis & Duke.jpg

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Yep - most of you have been privy to the prototypes. Were you at the first EXCO meeting where I had the battery-powered version? It's been 9 months of gestation :D

Yes I was at that EC meeting. I think it was at Jerry's? At the regular meeting we got to hear battery vs linear PS. I think most everyone preferred the linear PS. It will be interesting to hear what you have done since then.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think that this has been the fastest I've ever set-up. Before noon, everything except for the speakers were already set-up.

Front end.jpg

Unfortunately, the speakers were just three steps above the rest of the system and we had to hire labour to help us move the crates "downstairs". But we were done by lunch.

WTRMTR.jpg

I even have Ki Choi's travelling Nagra waiting for a master tape from Lyn Stanley to appear!!

Nagra.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great to hear! Knock 'em dead Gary! I'll be cheering you on from here! :D

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great to hear! Knock 'em dead Gary! I'll be cheering you on from here! :D

Thanks, Jack!

I tried to update from The Venetian, but it looks like the IP address of the hotel is still banned by WBF - for those of you with Fecebook accounts, I'll be posting my music demos there as I conduct them. Here's the room after completion of set-up today.

Room.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
One of the most enjoyable albums I brought to demo with at CES this year came about as a popular request. Toots Theilemans whistles while he plays. A single he recorded was so popular and got so much airplay on the radio that radio stations, DJs and the record-buying public clamoured for a whole album. This is the result.

Toots is unique as he whistles the melody that he plays on the guitar, only an octave higher. Like in real life, the whistle can be piercing. Shocking if you are not prepared for it.

Toots.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing