Poor Allnic Dubious honour of worst measuring DAC ever for Stereophile

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If a wheel has fallen off the car, hard to imagine it would ride well :D.

Strange that the manufacturer did not provide measurements post replacement of tubes.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
The frequency response curve is horrible, after 5K it takes a nose dive. I'm sorry a DAC this expensive should have and extended frequency response at least to 20K. I would never buy this unit because of this. I don't want a tone control.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The real question is, what does it sound like ? I am glad my stereo life isn't a slave to measurmemts that in many cases fail to define what sounds good and what doesn't.

I agree that often there is no full correlation between measurements and sonics. But in this case, measurements just show a badly engineered product.

No tube replacement will cure its digital domain issues.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I am sure this will prove to be much to do about nothing. Allnic appears to be a quality company and will rectify any "issues." The true test is listening and duration of ownership. Audio Note dacs measure poorly but somehow seem to inhabit systems for longer than most. Furthermore, vinyl and tape still sounds better than digital IMO (and for better and for worse I am child of the digital generation and a prisoner of that format). At the recent Hong Kong AE show, the Trinity dac was in use and when the room switched back to vinyl several people, including manufacturers involved with the room, exclaimed that the "music" had returned. The Trinity dac is considered one of the top digital dogs on the planet at present. What does that tell us?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
NOS deigns exhibit far more distortion and characteristically have bass and treble roll off , which some listeners prefer!
Keith.

NOS DACs do have rolled off HF. However, LF issues aren't related to whether the DAC has an OS filter. Aliasing is a strictly HF issue. It's likely a poor output stage which is responsible for poor LF performance.

Stereophile doesn't base their recommendations and awards on measurements. The PS Audio Directstream would never be recommended based on its poor measurements as well. The Playback Designs MPS-5 is also recommended and didn't exhibit DR to brag about.

It's funny how the "purist" recites the refrain "it's all about the music", yet selects gear which doesn't give the listener a chance to hear the music in the first place.

I've never enjoyed listening to music from a room/system which didn't measure well. However, good measurements are only a prerequisite for musical enjoyment. Not all gear which measures well sounds good.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am sure this will prove to be much to do about nothing. Allnic appears to be a quality company and will rectify any "issues." The true test is listening and duration of ownership. Audio Note dacs measure poorly but somehow seem to inhabit systems for longer than most.

No one who is posting in this thread has experience with this DAC, we are not debating anything solid, as the possibility that the measurements were carried in a defective unit and the listening was carried in the unit working properly. While they wait for the needed Stereophile followup's that will take a few months , those seriously interested in this DAC matters can turn to the thread at Audiogon on Albert Porter system.

Furthermore, vinyl and tape still sounds better than digital IMO (and for better and for worse I am child of the digital generation and a prisoner of that format). At the recent Hong Kong AE show, the Trinity dac was in use and when the room switched back to vinyl several people, including manufacturers involved with the room, exclaimed that the "music" had returned. The Trinity dac is considered one of the top digital dogs on the planet at present. What does that tell us?

This tells me mostly that the system to demo the Trinity was not properly assembled. Any competent demonstrator should have been able to tune the system and choose recordings to avoid such ridicule situation. Just MHO.

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
lol

Good story

My friend is a bit of a joker with amazing system

He had a sacd and record recorded off same master

He put the vinyl record on the tt and many people exclaimed " ah vinyl" finally

He then turned the turntable off and the music kept playing... it was the sacd lol

People are capable of great self delusion ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
At the recent Hong Kong AE show, the Trinity dac was in use and when the room switched back to vinyl several people, including manufacturers involved with the room, exclaimed that the "music" had returned. The Trinity dac is considered one of the top digital dogs on the planet at present. What does that tell us?
That "we want our women with lipstick" as Ki once told me as he explained why a tape copy of SACD sounded so good. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ha! I hate you and your kind.

Notice how the digital world still pays subconscious homage to your blessed medium of choice with their description of SOTA sound as "analog..."

Well wouldn't that be the full measure of success? The process is analog to digital then back to analog after all. :p

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No one who is posting in this thread has experience with this DAC, we are not debating anything solid, as the possibility that the measurements were carried in a defective unit and the listening was carried in the unit working properly. While they wait for the needed Stereophile followup's that will take a few months , those seriously interested in this DAC matters can turn to the thread at Audiogon on Albert Porter system.

Then what is the point of this thread exactly? Providing a philosophical counterpoint seems a logical response to me.

This tells me mostly that the system to demo the Trinity was not properly assembled. Any competent demonstrator should have been able to tune the system and choose recordings to avoid such ridicule situation. Just MHO.

Maybe, but that would presuppose incompetence. Given the caliber of the presenters, unlikely. They are not haphazard cheeseballs like many of us....

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Ha! I hate you and your kind.

Notice how the digital world still pays subconscious homage to your blessed medium of choice with their description of SOTA sound as "analog..."

lol...well said. Digital is a compromise when it comes to playing back analog mastered material. A $200K DAC can't change that...

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I fully realize that a product from even the best of manufacturers can have problems. However, the fact that this manufacturer claimed that the poor measurements were due to bad tubes and then just sells the thing without sending it back to Stereophile for a follow-up tells me all I need to know about the company. They probably didn't send it back because they all measure that way. They knew it and knew Stereophile wouldn't want any one other than the review sample returned. From their end, problem solved. I am not a tube guy but why use such an esoteric tube? One goes bad and you need to have a replacement sent from South Korea? What if they run out of tubes?

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
NOS DACs do have rolled off HF. However, LF issues aren't related to whether the DAC has an OS filter. Aliasing is a strictly HF issue. It's likely a poor output stage which is responsible for poor LF performance.

Stereophile doesn't base their recommendations and awards on measurements. The PS Audio Directstream would never be recommended based on its poor measurements as well. The Playback Designs MPS-5 is also recommended and didn't exhibit DR to brag about.

It's funny how the "purist" recites the refrain "it's all about the music", yet selects gear which doesn't give the listener a chance to hear the music in the first place.

I've never enjoyed listening to music from a room/system which didn't measure well. However, good measurements are only a prerequisite for musical enjoyment. Not all gear which measures well sounds good.

AFAIK, this had been rectified by firmware update 1.2.1 a long time ago. It is one of Stereophile's joint digital product of the year 2014

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Actually we do know something. Ketcham on another forum sent out his Allnic Dac to be tested locally and got essentially the same result as Stereophile. Still, he says his Dac soiunds good to him.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I fully realize that a product from even the best of manufacturers can have problems. However, the fact that this manufacturer claimed that the poor measurements were due to bad tubes and then just sells the thing without sending it back to Stereophile for a follow-up tells me all I need to know about the company. They probably didn't send it back because they all measure that way. They knew it and knew Stereophile wouldn't want any one other than the review sample returned. From their end, problem solved. I am not a tube guy but why use such an esoteric tube? One goes bad and you need to have a replacement sent from South Korea? What if they run out of tubes?
Its a tiny DHT and they likely used it because they were afraid of the big bottle DHTs which are MUCH harder to tame. However, they now dont have the big bottle magic and users are denied the fun of tube rolling (which has a big impact on the sound presentation).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing