ZYX Universe Premium Edition

number95

May 14, 2014

number95

May 14, 2014
Now fully broken at 70-80 hours... The best cartridge I ever experienced to my ears at my system...:cool:

image.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations on your new cartridge. Can you describe its strengths? Does this Premium Edition replace the Universe II, or is it an even higher model?

I see you will soon be upgrading to the Magico M Project. I've heard it and you are in for a real treat. It will reveal pretty much exactly what the rest of your system is doing. It's an incredible speaker.

number95

May 14, 2014
Congratulations on your new cartridge. Can you describe its strengths? Does this Premium Edition replace the Universe II, or is it an even higher model?

I see you will soon be upgrading to the Magico M Project. I've heard it and you are in for a real treat. It will reveal pretty much exactly what the rest of your system is doing. It's an incredible speaker.

Hi Peter,

I have read your comments at Magico forum and what you have described is very encouraging! Thank you for sharing your experiences. I hope to get them soon.

Regarding Zyx, I believe Mehran at Sorasound can have a better answer as if Uni Premium replaces Uni II or another higher model. Given a significant jump at price and I still see Premium and Non Premium versions of Omega and 4D, my humble view is Uni Premium might be a separate and higher model.

Rather than its strengths first, better focus on the weaknesses which I have not found to date. At my setup, it has given me more of a musical satisfaction compared to other cartridges that I listened including Lyra Atlas another marvellous performer. So far I used to experience cartridge performances as a compromise ie either one excels at soundstage and flow but slower or dynamically compressed while one is the transient speed king and dynamically superior but a bit analytical etc. That is not the case with Uni Premium. When it drops into the groove, audiophile jargon becomes almost redundant. I tried it at Ikeda high mass tonearm, but it sounds its best with Graham Elite at my setup.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,

I have read your comments at Magico forum and what you have described is very encouraging! Thank you for sharing your experiences. I hope to get them soon.

Regarding Zyx, I believe Mehran at Sorasound can have a better answer as if Uni Premium replaces Uni II or another higher model. Given a significant jump at price and I still see Premium and Non Premium versions of Omega and 4D, my humble view is Uni Premium might be a separate and higher model.

Rather than its strengths first, better focus on the weaknesses which I have not found to date. At my setup, it has given me more of a musical satisfaction compared to other cartridges that I listened including Lyra Atlas another marvellous performer. So far I used to experience cartridge performances as a compromise ie either one excels at soundstage and flow but slower or dynamically compressed while one is the transient speed king and dynamically superior but a bit analytical etc. That is not the case with Uni Premium. When it drops into the groove, audiophile jargon becomes almost redundant. I tried it at Ikeda high mass tonearm, but it sounds its best with Graham Elite at my setup.

Thanks number95. I know exactly what you mean with these sonic tradeoffs with cartridges. Some are "musical" but with blunted dynamics and a bit slow with less resolution but great midrange body/warmth and richness and "beauty", while others are super dynamic, ultra fast, and detailed buy lack soul, beauty etc. That could explain why so many have multiple cartridges. I know a guy who can't live without either the AirTight Supreme or Lyra Atlas. So he has two identical arms and alters the cartridges. It sounds like the Uni Premium has it all.

number95

May 14, 2014
Thanks number95. I know exactly what you mean with these sonic tradeoffs with cartridges. Some are "musical" but with blunted dynamics and a bit slow with less resolution but great midrange body/warmth and richness and "beauty", while others are super dynamic, ultra fast, and detailed buy lack soul, beauty etc. That could explain why so many have multiple cartridges. I know a guy who can't live without either the AirTight Supreme or Lyra Atlas. So he has two identical arms and alters the cartridges. It sounds like the Uni Premium has it all.

I tried/listened to those cartridges. In that league, one can never make a mistake via choosing any of those beasts, either Supreme or Atlas. It is musical preferences, tastes and synergy between the cartridge and rest of analog setup that matters.

jmliner78

Dec 24, 2014
ZYX Universe Premium against Lyra Atlas

Hi Peter,

hello,
So I get a Lenco 75 JTN with Graham Phantom Supreme II and Lyra Atlas, ODIN phono, ODIN PC... and would like to know if Zyx Universe Premium will be better than Lyra Atlas. If yes in what parameters ? Thank you. Kind regards, JIM in France

number95

May 14, 2014
hello,
So I get a Lenco 75 JTN with Graham Phantom Supreme II and Lyra Atlas, ODIN phono, ODIN PC... and would like to know if Zyx Universe Premium will be better than Lyra Atlas. If yes in what parameters ? Thank you. Kind regards, JIM in France

I think at that level of top cartridges, I would not describe the differences as good or bad or say one cartridge is better than other. Rather it is one's musical preferences, rest of his system with the cartridge etc. At my setup, Zyx Uni Premium overall has delivered more of musical purity and satisfaction compared to Lyra Atlas. Both two were very dynamic and having lots of detail, while I preferred Zyx for the soundstage and layering. Atlas was extremely fast in transients though Zyx was not so behind but with slightly more emphasis on decays. Atlas made me focusing more on impact and inner details of the music with excellent center images while Zyx made me forget I listen to a system hence audiophile vocabulary was not needed. Is Zyx Uni Premium a perfect cartridge doing everything better than its peers? Certainly not. My Ikeda Kai betters it in terms of timbre resolution, midrange as well as upper frequency details and air, easiness for instance. I do not think one for all cartridge exists. That being said, Uni Premium is so good in almost any sonic field (dynamic range, impact, flat frequency response, resolution, soundstage, details, balance) such that it offers very close to an ideal cartridge which never exists.

One may have his own different experiences. I do no think one may also do a mistake via owning either cartridge.

jmliner78

Dec 24, 2014
Many Thanks and another question : Elite or Zyx premium ????

I think at that level of top cartridges, I would not describe the differences as good or bad or say one cartridge is better than other. Rather it is one's musical preferences, rest of his system with the cartridge etc. At my setup, Zyx Uni Premium overall has delivered more of musical purity and satisfaction compared to Lyra Atlas. Both two were very dynamic and having lots of detail, while I preferred Zyx for the soundstage and layering. Atlas was extremely fast in transients though Zyx was not so behind but with slightly more emphasis on decays. Atlas made me focusing more on impact and inner details of the music with excellent center images while Zyx made me forget I listen to a system hence audiophile vocabulary was not needed. Is Zyx Uni Premium a perfect cartridge doing everything better than its peers? Certainly not. My Ikeda Kai betters it in terms of timbre resolution, midrange as well as upper frequency details and air, easiness for instance. I do not think one for all cartridge exists. That being said, Uni Premium is so good in almost any sonic field (dynamic range, impact, flat frequency response, resolution, soundstage, details, balance) such that it offers very close to an ideal cartridge which never exists.

One may have his own different experiences. I do no think one may also do a mistake via owning either cartridge.

Dear Number95,

I hope you enjoy your week-end with your music. Your system is very impressive. Just a remark : Tried JMF AUdio (french company) for Power Conditionner and PC Cable and the results is so amazing.
I get several Nordost ODIN, V2, Tyr2, Frey2 and sold many of them against their PC3 PC Cable because so musical and natural...
In parallel I have to do a choice because my money bag is limited... Life is so hard sometimes. I am joking for other readers...
Now I get Supreme Phantom II / Lyra Atlas. For the same amount of money : What is your advice : purchase Elite Phantom or Zyx Universe Premium ?
Many thanks in advanced,
All the best,
JIM

number95

May 14, 2014
Dear Number95,

I hope you enjoy your week-end with your music. Your system is very impressive. Just a remark : Tried JMF AUdio (french company) for Power Conditionner and PC Cable and the results is so amazing.
I get several Nordost ODIN, V2, Tyr2, Frey2 and sold many of them against their PC3 PC Cable because so musical and natural...
In parallel I have to do a choice because my money bag is limited... Life is so hard sometimes. I am joking for other readers...
Now I get Supreme Phantom II / Lyra Atlas. For the same amount of money : What is your advice : purchase Elite Phantom or Zyx Universe Premium ?
Many thanks in advanced,
All the best,
JIM

Jim,

As I said neither Lyra Atlas nor Zyx Uni Premium will disappoint. If budget is limiting you, I would first get best tonearm with either of these cartridges and if it is Elite vs Supreme II, decision is easy. Either Atlas or UniP will be happier with Elite and give more of their potential.

By the way I need to make a correction regarding my example that Kai had better mids against UniP. I recently upgraded my speakers and they make me hear even the tiniest changes in analog setup with a clear margin. That allowed me to revisit some settings. I realigned Zyx with Graham's own jig (found in previous setting approx 1.5mm short for overhang) and recently tried a bit of damping fluid with Graham. While realignment improved things, the real surprise to me was damping fluid. Contrary to my first trial when I first got the tonearm, this one made a dramatic impact on resolution, soundstage and now I get very special midrange and highs from Zyx I have not experienced before which at least par with Kai but faster dynamics and sheer realism. So it almost made my previous argument void such that it is almost a one for all cartridge for me :))

jmliner78

Dec 24, 2014
thanks for your advice and all the best from JIM

Jim,

As I said neither Lyra Atlas nor Zyx Uni Premium will disappoint. If budget is limiting you, I would first get best tonearm with either of these cartridges and if it is Elite vs Supreme II, decision is easy. Either Atlas or UniP will be happier with Elite and give more of their potential.

By the way I need to make a correction regarding my example that Kai had better mids against UniP. I recently upgraded my speakers and they make me hear even the tiniest changes in analog setup with a clear margin. That allowed me to revisit some settings. I realigned Zyx with Graham's own jig (found in previous setting approx 1.5mm short for overhang) and recently tried a bit of damping fluid with Graham. While realignment improved things, the real surprise to me was damping fluid. Contrary to my first trial when I first got the tonearm, this one made a dramatic impact on resolution, soundstage and now I get very special midrange and highs from Zyx I have not experienced before which at least par with Kai but faster dynamics and sheer realism. So it almost made my previous argument void such that it is almost a one for all cartridge for me :))

Dear Passionated Colleague,

Many thanks for your fast answer. I will update you asa I will take a decision.
Nice end of sunday,
All the best,
JIM

number95

May 14, 2014
How does the Universe 2 compare to this cartridge?

I did not have a chance to compare Uni II and Uni Premium. But I can easily say compared to Omega (non Premium version), Uni Premium is at a very different league which it should be given the cost differential.

Perhaps Mehran at Sorasounds can help more on Uni II vs Uni Premium.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
A recent ad on the Audio Asylum trader from SoraSound, tells of selling off the last of the ZYX R1000Airy3 SB cartridges for $1895 (was $3000).

This was about the same price that 2Juki sold them for, for years. Also now gone from his Ebay store.

Sad to see this expensive (but not absurd) gem go!

The Airy 3 had many fans, and good reviews.

The Airy 3 has been replaced by the Airy 3 Premium line, introduced over a year ago. The Premium is about $1000 more.

Oddly there have been no reviews, and very little user info on the premium line that I can find. Are these "new" premium models actually better??? What is up?

SoraSound seems to "push" their own, "Universe" versions instead.

The “Universe “ models have the exact same appearance as the non-universe models.

Could they be the same, with just a different label??? Would most users know the difference?
Is this a big scam?

number95

May 14, 2014
A recent ad on the Audio Asylum trader from SoraSound, tells of selling off the last of the ZYX R1000Airy3 SB cartridges for $1895 (was $3000).

This was about the same price that 2Juki sold them for, for years. Also now gone from his Ebay store.

Sad to see this expensive (but not absurd) gem go!

The Airy 3 had many fans, and good reviews.

The Airy 3 has been replaced by the Airy 3 Premium line, introduced over a year ago. The Premium is about $1000 more.

Oddly there have been no reviews, and very little user info on the premium line that I can find. Are these "new" premium models actually better??? What is up?

SoraSound seems to "push" their own, "Universe" versions instead.

The “Universe “ models have the exact same appearance as the non-universe models.

Could they be the same, with just a different label??? Would most users know the difference?
Is this a big scam?

I did not hear Airy or Premium Airy so can not comment. Having said, for Omega and Universe, the Premium versions are visually different. I also copy paste Premium Omega review which reviewer also compared it to Omega.

http://hifilivemagazine.com/zyx-premium-omega-gold-2/

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
I did not hear Airy or Premium Airy so can not comment. Having said, for Omega and Universe, the Premium versions are visually different. I also copy paste Premium Omega review which reviewer also compared it to Omega.

http://hifilivemagazine.com/zyx-premium-omega-gold-2/

Yes, the Premium versions are visually different from the older non-premium versions (white body on premium).

But, the SoraSound UNiverse versions are visually the same, as the non-Universe versions. The only difference is the Universe label on the front.

The SoraSound UNIverse versions could be a scam IMO.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing