Spectral owner new to the forum

Hourwerk

Dec 17, 2014
UK
Hi Guys,

Recently joined the forum as it has a dedicated Spectral section.

I live in the UK and am the proud owner of a DMC-15/DMA-250 combo. Front end is an Accuphase DP-85 SACD/CD player, soon to be upgraded to a new DP-410.
Speakers are Focal 1028 be. Interconnects are MIT Matrix 12

I am very happy with my set up apart from the sad fact that Spectral no longer have a presence in the UK. About 3 years ago their UK distributor retired & has not been replaced. Both my pre/power were returned to the factory this year for repair, so they are still looking after me. However it's very frustrating not to be able to upgrade to a DMC-15SS or even a 30SS! Voltage in the UK is 240 so imports are out.

My dealer, who was very supportive of Spectral, has had no choice but to offer his customers alternatives from the likes of Accuphase, Nagra.

I understand officially that the DMA-250 cannot be used with any other preamp but Spectral. I just wondered if this is set in stone?

Appreciate any feedback

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I don’t think that is true. All I know is that Spectral non Universal power amps must be used with Spectral / MIT cables.
So models like DMA 160S Universal can be used with any cable but DMA 250 must use Spectral / MIT cables to keep your warrantee intact.

I too am in the UK yes it’s a shame Spectral are no longer in the UK, we just have to look to Europe I guess.

Hourwerk

Dec 17, 2014
UK
I don’t think that is true. All I know is that Spectral non Universal power amps must be used with Spectral / MIT cables.
So models like DMA 160S Universal can be used with any cable but DMA 250 must use Spectral / MIT cables to keep your warrantee intact.

I too am in the UK yes it’s a shame Spectral are no longer in the UK, we just have to look to Europe I guess.

That's interesting. Which Spectral dealers in Europe can you recommend? Problem is UK voltage is 240v & Europe mainly 220v. Spectral kit is very sensitive to mains fluctuations. I had to return my preamp to the factory after a mains spike fried it! I now use a surge protector, which is not great for sound quality, but its better than wrecking ones equipment.

Happy New Year

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
That's interesting. Which Spectral dealers in Europe can you recommend? Problem is UK voltage is 240v & Europe mainly 220v. Spectral kit is very sensitive to mains fluctuations. I had to return my preamp to the factory after a mains spike fried it! I now use a surge protector, which is not great for sound quality, but its better than wrecking ones equipment.

Happy New Year

Welcome to WBF , isn't gear generally set to handle the 220v - 240 v range , rather than strictly confirm to 220 or 240v . That's my understanding .

Hourwerk

Dec 17, 2014
UK
Spectral kit originally sold by their UK distributor was indeed 220v but due to power supply failures they uprated it to 240v, which cured the problem. This is going back 8 years ago.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
For pre-amps, the power requirement is very low so a step down transformer from 240 to 120 should be fine. If anything, it will provide some level of filtering. So I would not rule out importing of DMC-15SS and such.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Hi not sure who to recommend, I did use a dealer from Holland when I was looking for cable upgrade but can’t remember which one.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Unrelated, but I must ask: what's up with the forum consolidations? Spectral, Cables and CD Transports? Pass and Speakers forum??? :confused:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Unrelated, but I must ask: what's up with the forum consolidations? Spectral, Cables and CD Transports? Pass and Speakers forum??? :confused:
There shouldn't be any consolidation. I simply made the titles of all the forums more descriptive and included the gear the company makes. Let me know if I got any of them wrong :).

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Apologies are in order! No one talks about Pass speakers, people don't think about cables when talking about Spectral, etc... so, I guess I was utterly confused. Sorry. But at the same time, Spectral is also more about "digital" products rather than just transports (though I grant you, the replacement DAC to the 2000 - dubbed the 5000 - is a little overdue, by 15 years, or just a tiny miniscule fraction given the age of the universe) :D

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have a pair of DMA 360 series 2 which I have paired with an Audio Research SP3 and also paired with the Klyne SK7. In both cases, everything went on smoothly. I have a hunch that the Spectral team want their clients to experience their gear as they intended and the warnings on only using approved associated equipment and cables are to scare their clients from wandering away from the experience that they intended.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have a pair of DMA 360 series 2 which I have paired with an Audio Research SP3 and also paired with the Klyne SK7. In both cases, everything went on smoothly. I have a hunch that the Spectral team want their clients to experience their gear as they intended and the warnings on only using approved associated equipment and cables are to scare their clients from wandering away from the experience that they intended.

Marty uses Spectral 400 with VTL 7.5. His is probably the best room I have been in. The speed and thump of the Spectrals and the soundstaging of the system with the Pipedreams and JL audio 212 is brilliant. He uses MIT ICs.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-400s-arrive-in-New-Jersey&highlight=spectral

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-in-New-Jersey&p=227662&viewfull=1#post227662

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Apologies are in order! No one talks about Pass speakers, people don't think about cables when talking about Spectral, etc... so, I guess I was utterly confused. Sorry. But at the same time, Spectral is also more about "digital" products rather than just transports (though I grant you, the replacement DAC to the 2000 - dubbed the 5000 - is a little overdue, by 15 years, or just a tiny miniscule fraction given the age of the universe) :D
Sorry I missed following up on this (and for the side conversation to the thread :) ). What should the forum title be so that it is short but all inclusive of what they build?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think somebody needs to do a shootout between spectral and lamm hybrid 220w M2.2 on a lower sensitivity speaker like a panel

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

This is very interesting. Some years ago, the great HP reported he used a Spectral amp with (I believe) an ARC SP-3 pre-amp. To the dismay of the Spectral folks, nothing blew up as he was told it might. As far as I know, Spectral has flip-flopped on this issue more than once. Many years ago, they did in fact insist that their amps had to be used with their pre-amps. Then at some point, which is unclear, they appeared to allow for some greater flexibility. In fact, my RS400 owner's manual does not specifically state that the amps must be used with a Spectral pre-amp. Rather, the manual clearly states it must be used with a pre-amp of suitably low impedance in order to properly drive the amps. (The request for insisting that a low-impedance pre-amp be used appears to be a reasonable one since the output impedance of all Spectral pre-amp is 100 ohms. Two other tube preamps that I know are being used successfully with Spectral amps that have a low output impedance are VTL and BAT.) Thus I am pleased to learn that you have had good success with the SP-3, since it clearly does not have a very low output impedance! (Although perhaps I shouldn't be surprised as HP didn't have any apparent problems either). However, the plot thickens. I recently learned from Goodwin's, that Spectral is once again insisting that only Spectral pre-amps can be used with Spectral amps. They, and other Spectral dealers are therefore prohibited from selling Spectral amps to owners who do not have a Spectral pre-amp. I'm not sure where this saga will end, but two things are clear. First, if you are concerned about being scared shitless by Spectral's draconian approach, I guess you could always say that you have a Spectral preamp if you really want to buy a Spectral amp. I mean really, I presume Rick Fryer has better things to do with his time then check you out with a personal visit to make sure you aren't violating their policy. Then again, the old adage comes to mind: let the buyer beware. Second, to be clear, this discussion is independent of Spectral's mandate for the use of MIT signal and speaker cables with their amplifiers. Under no circumstances do I, or anyone who is sane, think it is reasonable to use any other cables but MIT on a Spectral amp. Unlike the pre-amp pairing situation, the MIT cable mandate is there for a very good reason. You have to consider the band-width limiting approach of the MIT/Spectral pairing as essential to Keith Johnson's amplifier design. As far as I can see, there is no reason to try and disprove it. It is a pairing that works extremely well as attested and confirmed by the experience of many happy Spectral users.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Just a correction. The output impedance of spectral pre amps would be 100 ohms. The input impedance of the amplifiers is 10k ohms. I think Spectral is looking for a robust signal for their amps. The 100 ohm output impedance of the preamp is just one piece of the puzzle.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just a correction. The output impedance of spectral pre amps would be 100 ohms. The input impedance of the amplifiers is 10k ohms. I think Spectral is looking for a robust signal for their amps. The 100 ohm output impedance of the preamp is just one piece of the puzzle.

The best pre I know is a valve pre named NAT Audio from Serbia, problem for you being that if you wanted it at a lower cost it will be from Serbia, while in the US Triangle Art guy distributes it but that will be a higher cost. Their bottom end entry level was rated above AR Ref 5SE in Germany, and their top end pre has been preferred to Kondo top end by someone I know who has owned both. Also, a guy in Netherlands who owned both high end VTL and Lamm replaced his stuff with NAT.

The output impedance is less than 300 ohms. http://www.nataudio.com/products/al...e-hybrid-line-stages/item/23-magnetostat.html

It is more transparent but less airy than AR or Jadis, with far lower distortion, and much more dynamic, real, and great bass and separation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing