Please welcome Bob of Yarlung Records (DSD64/DSD128/DSD256/LP/CD/Tape)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hello Forum members:

I invited Bob Attiyeh of Yarlung Records to join this forum.

Yarlung Records is an audiophile's dream label. They offer LPs, CDs High Rez PCM downloads, DSD downloads,
and tape. Yes tape!

I am very much interested in helping spread the word about Bob's recordings because they
really do take your breath away. (Disclaimer: I have no financial or professional affiliation).

Yarlung has been mentioned by great mastering engineers like Steve Hoffman as a label that just gets it right.

I am posting an introductory thread about the label, and Bob will join in and participate.
His affiliated site, NativeDSD.com is also one that is fantastic.

BTW, I heard for the first time, *QUAD DSD* there..that is music recorded in the DSD format at, get this, 256 times the sampling
rate of CD..at 1 bit!

Bob is interested in offering special discounts and promotions to forum members. I for one want to get hold of some tape!

It would be great to get your support.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
This is Bob's post from another forum he asked to paste in:

Dr. David W. Robinson from PFO twisted our arms, and thanks to his encouragement and help, Yarlung just released our first high resolution DSD albums, generously sponsored by exaSound.com.*

The exaSound Quartet (http://goo.gl/xUvyGU) includes:

Sophisticated Lady Jazz Quartet** http://goo.gl/Ek4lhl
(here is Bill Milkowski’s review in The Absolute Sound http://goo.gl/BkHszp)

Mahler’s Symphony No. 5 conducted by Gerard Schwarz http://goo.gl/6x0Odw
(here is Jim Svejda’s review for Fanfare and KUSC-FM http://goo.gl/tpq1ap)

Suryodaya*** with Badal Roy on tabla and Robert Gupta playing the Nathan Milstein strad http://goo.gl/60ISaV

...and our latest percussion album Smoke & Mirrors: Vanish.**** http://goo.gl/BE9ZZw You won’t be able to sit still!

Free DSD downloads are here: goo.gl/UCqi1b (Yarlung's track are numbers 9 and 10).

Thanks!

Bob Attiyeh, producer
Yarlung Records

www.yarlungrecords.com

* George Klissarov is the superb engineer behind exaSound. George’s e22 (stereo) and e28 (surround sound) DACs exaSound.com play MP3s, CD audio, high resolution PCM downloads, and DSD all the way up to 256fs (or “Quad DSD” as David Robinson calls it) without breaking a sweat. In secret, George is an analog music guy, which may be why his DAC is so musical. Our first four DSD releases come from analog tape, part of the SonoruS Series (http://goo.gl/A8FkjD) of analog tapes underwritten by Arian Jansen. We couldn’t do much at Yarlung without support from titans like George, Arian and David. Thank you!

Join us in making more of these recordings available. Here is Jeff Wilson’s discussion with Yarlung in The Absolute Sound. (http://goo.gl/f6cu7u)

** Recorded in the Brain and Creativity Institute’s Cammilleri Hall at USC (http://goo.gl/gGfel8), built by Antonio Damasio and designed by Yasuhisa Toyota who also designed Walt Disney Concert Hall and Radio Symphony Hall Helsinki.

*** Robert Gupta plays the Nathan Millstein Strad with his cousin Badal Roy on tabla, recorded in Walt Disney Concert Hall. Jazz fans will remember Badal Roy from his legendary recordings with Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman.

**** "Vanish is the engaging and highly innovative follow-up to Yarlung’s original and equally compelling Smoke & Mirrors release, presenting a wide tapestry of rhythms and harmonics skillfully arrayed across a broad and deep soundstage. There’s an immediacy, clarity, and transparency to this modern classical percussion recording that seemingly brings the performers to your living room." Jim Hannon, Publisher & Senior Writer, The Absolute Sound, November 2013

Yarlung Records

Industry Expert
Dec 21, 2014
Steve and Andre, thanks so much for your generous and warm introduction. It is great to be a part of your forum. So far these DSD releases have gone very well. NativeDSD.com is the company we are partnering with to make these high resolution albums available. Jared has done a terrific job building the site and working with his partners at other record labels (like Yarlung, Reference Recordings, Harmonia Mundi, and so forth) while continuing to work round the clock as recording engineer and producer for Channel Classics, his label in The Netherlands. Jared has a giant's amount of energy and uses it generously for our benefit.

We are working on a special promotion discount for members of What's Best, but in the meantime, there is a special Christmas discount going on right now (not just for Yarlung's albums) and an introduction to our second quartet of DSD releases: goo.gl/XMn787 (scroll down to the discount for Sophisticated Lady jazz quartet among others)

And here is an eBlast with some of my recommendations with discounts from other labels as well, and links for our new 180 Gram vinyl pressings (lacquers cut by Bernie Grundman): goo.gl/UdTld9

Thanks! It is great to be here.

Bob Attiyeh, producer
Yarlung Records
www.yarlungrecords.com

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Welcome Bob! This is the best audio forum on the Internet with a diverse group of enthusiasts.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The Smoke And Mirrors Quad DSD download is among the most realistic, mind blowing recordings I have ever experienced.

The only issue is there are not too many Quad DSD capable DACs available!

Yarlung Records

Industry Expert
Dec 21, 2014
The Smoke And Mirrors Quad DSD download is among the most realistic, mind blowing recordings I have ever experienced.

The only issue is there are not too many Quad DSD capable DACs available!

Thanks so much Andre. I have been using the exaSound e22, which is mid price but high quality for sound. I enjoy using this DAC, in addition to the fact that George Klissarov underwrote our first four albums, including the one with Smoke & Mirrors to which you lavishly refer, so I am doubly grateful.

I spent an hour on the phone with Ted Brady this afternoon, fine-tuning J River to work its best with exaSound. Ted is a master and the system is now switching effortlessly between PCM and DSD files.

But to your point, Andre, Yarlung will continue to release 256fs files (Quad DSD) and the numbers of albums in this resolution from other labels in increasing quickly. Thank you for your support and for encouraging us. We are like pioneers heading across the great plains, full of the spirit of adventure but without the risks faced by those hearty forefathers and foremothers.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Bob,

Welcome to WBF. Glad you are participating here. For WBF members who haven't experienced Bob's work, the Native DSD website should be a great place to get top quality introduction. Better yet, if you have high quality R2R in your system is to get Bob's tapes. I have 12 of them (I think that is all that have been released so far). Arian Jansen of Sonorus has been helping to underwrite the releases and they are wonderful tapes and at a relative bargain price - especially if you buy them in the four pack. There are also vinyl releases, if you are so inclined.

Larry

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Warm welcome indeed. We very much appreciate industry participation in our forum.

Sad to say I don't have any of your music :). If I were to sample one album in PCM, which would you recommend with respect to fidelity?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Bob. Please allow me to offer you yet another warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. As with everybody, we hope you enjoy the time you spend here on the forum and we do look forward to you participating. I personally look forward to hearing some well recorded music from you.

Oh, my manners. Thank you, Mr. Andre Marc for referring him to us! :)

Tom

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks so much Andre. I have been using the exaSound e22, which is mid price but high quality for sound. I enjoy using this DAC, in addition to the fact that George Klissarov underwrote our first four albums, including the one with Smoke & Mirrors to which you lavishly refer, so I am doubly grateful.

I spent an hour on the phone with Ted Brady this afternoon, fine-tuning J River to work its best with exaSound. Ted is a master and the system is now switching effortlessly between PCM and DSD files.

But to your point, Andre, Yarlung will continue to release 256fs files (Quad DSD) and the numbers of albums in this resolution from other labels in increasing quickly. Thank you for your support and for encouraging us. We are like pioneers heading across the great plains, full of the spirit of adventure but without the risks faced by those hearty forefathers and foremothers.

The exaSound products are excellent, and as you, say, very fairly priced.

I actually using the iFi Micro iDSD for quad DSD, and a Marantz HD DAC1 for double DSD.

You certainly are a pioneer. I think that anyone one under the illusion that you are getting rich running an audiophile label..is well...misinformed.

This is a passion.

What appeals to me about Yarlung, besides good music and high quality recordings, is you guys service every format.

I personally want to try one of the 7.5 ips tapes. I have a B77 on its way back home from the shop.:D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hello Bob. Please allow me to offer you yet another warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. As with everybody, we hope you enjoy the time you spend here on the forum and we do look forward to you participating. I personally look forward to hearing some well recorded music from you.

Oh, my manners. Thank you, Mr. Andre Marc for referring him to us! :)

Tom

Thank you for the shout out sir! Along with exposing Bob's recordings to the members here, Bob can be a resource and a sounding board for questions about the recording chain, production,
and different formats. He has lots of knowledge to share.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Welcome Bob and Yarlung! While I have only to date, purchased two tapes produced by Bob, They are giving me some of the most superb playback I have ever had in my listening room. I have no doubt I will be acquiring more tape and maybe even sticking my toe in the Yarlung High Res waters as well.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Suryodaya! I can't wait to do a slam down between the tape and DSD.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Dumb question here. Does anyone know what DSD playback the OPPO 105 can handle? There are 64, 128 and 256 plus DXD available.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
FYI: For WBF membrers: the whole Yarlung catalog (any combination of albums), through Jan 2nd, 15% discount, coupon code: What'sBest

Yarlung Records

Industry Expert
Dec 21, 2014
Warm welcome indeed. We very much appreciate industry participation in our forum.

Sad to say I don't have any of your music :). If I were to sample one album in PCM, which would you recommend with respect to fidelity?

Amir, thanks so much for your note and for your question. Most of our albums are available in high resolution PCM on HD Tracks, and here is the link: http://www.hdtracks.com/music/label/view/id/222/

The fidelity, per se, is similar on all of our albums because we tend to use the same equipment (with various interconnect cables and microphones) for all of our recordings. The largest acoustic differences, therefore, are in the various concert halls we use for these recordings.

The smallest space we have used is Cammilleri Hall which seats just over 100 people (Sophisticated Lady jazz quartet and Nigel Armstrong on violin). The largest acoustic spaces are Walt Disney Concert Hall and Royce Hall. (Suryodaya and Martin Chalifour are good examples). Zipper Hall (400 seats) is one of my absolute favorites, and we have made over half of our recordings in this space. You could try Smoke and Mirrors: Vanish if you like exciting new percussion music.

We also have a sampler album on HD Tracks, which is called Yarlung Records: The First Seven Years. This is 44.1, however, not 88.2. Still 24 bit though!

If you let us know what sort of music you most enjoy hearing I can narrow the recommendation further and I hope your new year is going well.

Thanks for your support and for your enthusiasm.

Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing