Favorite Jazz Records of 2014

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Ambrose Akinmusire "The Imagined Savior is Far Easier To Paint" (Blue Note)

Excellent sophmore release by the trumpet prodigy. The vinyl is recorded at a low level but the sonics are fine.

Melissa Aldana & The Crash Trio (Concord)

Berklee graduate and winner of the 2013 Thelonious Monk competition:

Can't wait to see her in February at Jazz Alley.

JD Allen "Bloom" (Savant)

Another outstanding release by the tenor saxophonist; abandoning previous trio setting and working primarily in quartet form. Highlight is a solo "Stardust".

Otis Brown III "The Thought of You" Blue Note

This is an auspicious first album as a leader for the drummer best known from work with Esperanza Spaulding and Joe Lovano. Features an impressive roster of contributing guest artists.

Jimmy Greene "Beautiful Life" (Mack Avenue)

After his little girl was murdered at Sandy Hook, Greene created this beautiful elegy of "music to reflect the way that Ana lived," Greene says. He fulfills that mandate with an intense, cohesive, genre-spanning program--juxtaposing the hardcore instrumental jazz for which he is best known with traditional spirituals, contemporary Christian music, standard ballads and three original songs framing his own lyrics." Beautiful and life affirming. His cover of "Where is Love" (from Oliver) will have you reaching for the Kleenex.

The Hot Sardines (Decca)

Recreating the feeling of the 1920's with a high level of muscianship. Fronted by the lovely vocalist Elizabeth Bougerol, the rest of the band COOKS! One of the funnest releases of the year.

Sean Jones "Im*Pro*Vise: Never Before Seen" (Mack Avenue)

The guy can't make a bad LP. Excellent sonics on CD. [video]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0003/804/MI0003804715.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/video]

Frank Kimbrough Quartet (Palmetto)

****1/2 Performance
****1/2 Sonics
"Quartet is exceptional for its creative audacity. Throughout, the four players push themselves beyond the margins of safely and into free air. Kimbrough's tunes are slingshots that launch intense group action. He also writes ballads strung tight with tension. Quartet is a brilliant example of what is truly happening in jazz right now."
Thomas Conrad, Stereophile

Stanton Moore "Conversations" (Royal Potato Family)

Killer LP from Galactic's drummer. Trio outing with a New Orleans flavor. Well recorded vinyl.

Joshua Redman "Trios Live" (Nonesuch)

From The Guardian's Review "Joshua Redman, one of the most technically accomplished saxists in jazz today, parades his powers on this live set," writes the Guardian's John Fordham. "Redman performs with a skill that sometimes justifies comparison with early Sonny Rollins—notably on the old Rollins vehicle 'Moritat (Mack the Knife),'" such that "the crowd goes wild." Features Gregory Hutchinson on drums.

Trio 3 with Vijay Iyer (Intakt Records)

For their latest outing, Trio 3 (Oliver Lake, Reggie Workman and Andrew Cyrille) bring in pianist Vijay Iyer and the result is improvisational music of the highest caliber.

The Westerlies "Wish The Children Would Come On Home: The Music of Wayne Horvitz" (Songlines)

A tribute to their musical mentor by a quartet of Seattle's best young players. (You can read about them here: http://www.westerliesmusic.com/). See them at The Royal Room in Seattle in early January.

Hope everyone shares their favorites.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Ambrose Akinmusire "The Imagined Savior is Far Easier To Paint" (Blue Note)

Excellent sophmore release by the trumpet prodigy. The vinyl is recorded at a low level but the sonics are fine.

Melissa Aldana & The Crash Trio (Concord)

Berklee graduate and winner of the 2013 Thelonious Monk competition:

Can't wait to see her in February at Jazz Alley.

JD Allen "Bloom" (Savant)

Another outstanding release by the tenor saxophonist; abandoning previous trio setting and working primarily in quartet form. Highlight is a solo "Stardust".

Otis Brown III "The Thought of You" Blue Note

This is an auspicious first album as a leader for the drummer best known from work with Esperanza Spaulding and Joe Lovano. Features an impressive roster of contributing guest artists.

Jimmy Greene "Beautiful Life" (Mack Avenue)

After his little girl was murdered at Sandy Hook, Greene created this beautiful elegy of "music to reflect the way that Ana lived," Greene says. He fulfills that mandate with an intense, cohesive, genre-spanning program--juxtaposing the hardcore instrumental jazz for which he is best known with traditional spirituals, contemporary Christian music, standard ballads and three original songs framing his own lyrics." Beautiful and life affirming. His cover of "Where is Love" (from Oliver) will have you reaching for the Kleenex.

The Hot Sardines (Decca)

Recreating the feeling of the 1920's with a high level of muscianship. Fronted by the lovely vocalist Elizabeth Bougerol, the rest of the band COOKS! One of the funnest releases of the year.

Sean Jones "Im*Pro*Vise: Never Before Seen" (Mack Avenue)

The guy can't make a bad LP. Excellent sonics on CD. [video]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0003/804/MI0003804715.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/video]

Frank Kimbrough Quartet (Palmetto)

Stanton Moore "Conversations" (Royal Potato Family)

Killer LP from Galactic's drummer. Trio outing with a New Orleans flavor. Well recorded vinyl.

Joshua Redman "Trios Live" (Nonesuch)

From The Guardian's Review "Joshua Redman, one of the most technically accomplished saxists in jazz today, parades his powers on this live set," writes the Guardian's John Fordham. "Redman performs with a skill that sometimes justifies comparison with early Sonny Rollins—notably on the old Rollins vehicle 'Moritat (Mack the Knife),'" such that "the crowd goes wild." Features Gregory Hutchinson on drums.

Trio 3 with Vijay Iyer (Intakt Records)

For their latest outing, Trio 3 (Oliver Lake, Reggie Workman and Andrew Cyrille) bring in pianist Vijay Iyer and the result is improvisational music of the highest caliber.

The Westerlies "Wish The Children Would Come On Home: The Music of Wayne Horvitz" (Songlines)

A tribute to their musical mentor by a quartet of Seattle's best young players. (You can read about them here: http://www.westerliesmusic.com/). See them at The Royal Room in Seattle in early January.

Hope everyone shares their favorites.

Dammit doc..you stole my list!:D

In all seriousness..this is a golden age...

I would also throw in Brian Blade too..

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
My fav and best this year

Bring it Back - Kathryn Russell

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
My favorite jazz album of 2014 would be Kenny Barron and Dave Holland, The Art of Conversation. It sounds incredible in 96/24 WAV.

Ken

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
My favorite jazz album of 2014 would be Kenny Barron and Dave Holland, The Art of Conversation. It sounds incredible in 96/24 WAV.

Ken

Heard good buzz about that one...will pick it up soon.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Batik; The Old Man and the Sea

So many good suggestions here.
If I had to choose just one my favorite would be the Batik download ''the old Man and the Sea''
It is European jazz at it's best, lyrical but in this case also telling a story, and if sound quality is of importance this one is truly hard to beat.
BatikHoes300shad.jpg

http://www.soundliaison.com/studio-showcase-series/5-batik-wav

This recording really shows what is possible these days in terms of creating a truly wonderful soundstage.
And finally we have a band daring to to compose a suite or a concept album, really telling a story without words but expertly creating the intended images in your head.
Hats off to Sound Liaison for yet another stunning sounding album.

Enoch Root

Oct 8, 2014
Tiverton, RI
303 by Rudy Royston stands out. Maybe not the last word in sonics but excellent tunes and playing.
It's firmly in the jazz tradition but not in a nostalgic way; it's a contemporary expression of the lineage.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
DH_cover-400x400.jpg

Dylan Howe - Subterranean : New Designs on Bowie's Berlin ( get the vinyl version )

Kefas

May 21, 2014

Kefas

May 21, 2014
New talent

I do not find this the best new album of 2014, but she is for sure a great new addition to Jazz.
I listen to this album with great pleasure, sound is a bit too dry for my taste, but she is one helluva' saxophonist.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

I do not find this the best new album of 2014, but she is for sure a great new addition to Jazz.
I listen to this album with great pleasure, sound is a bit too dry for my taste, but she is one helluva' saxophonist.

My son who is a saxophone student at Berklee (her alma mater) says that her tone is a little 'breathy' for his taste. My response: YOU win the Monk competition and THEN critique her playing!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I really appreciate you posting...some of these artists I am not familiar with...I'll give a few lps a try! Thanks

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Avishai Cohen "Dark Nights"

Great sounding CD with a 'noir' musical vibe. Outstanding release.

Dark_Nights_Cover-thumb.jpg

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
So many good suggestions here.
If I had to choose just one my favorite would be the Batik download ''the old Man and the Sea''
It is European jazz at it's best, lyrical but in this case also telling a story, and if sound quality is of importance this one is truly hard to beat.
BatikHoes300shad.jpg

http://www.soundliaison.com/

This album for sure gets ''The Best Sound Award'' but it is not JAZZ jazz. Is it jazz? Sounds almost like a movie sound track. Don't get me wrong I like the album, but is it Jazz?

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
My son who is a saxophone student at Berklee (her alma mater) says that her tone is a little 'breathy' for his taste. My response: YOU win the Monk competition and THEN critique her playing!

Check Michael Moore's entry at 00.46, that's ''breathy"!

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Thank you so very much for your wonderful jazz music list.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
You're welcome. This album is one of my personal favorites. Recording quality is outstanding. Kenny Barron is one of the greatest old school jazz pianists. But some of the best songs on this album are written by Dave Holland, the bass player.

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing