Favorite 2014 Records

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This year was a bit of a let down after the flood of great releases the past couple of years. These are my favorite releases from 2014 in no particular order with a few comments about sound quality...

Roseanne Cash "The River and The Thread" (Blue Note/Universal)

Roseanne Cash understands that this LP is a career highlight noting on the album cover “If I never make another album I will be content, because I made this one." Beautiful songs, lovingly performed and extremely well recorded on 180 gm vinyl. You'll be hearing this one at audio shows for years. Easy choice for album of the year.

Leonard Cohen "Popular Problems" (Columbia)

In a year he celebrated his 80th birthday, the great singer/songwriter released the follow up to a masterpiece, "Old Ideas". While not quite up to that lofty standard, this is a really great record. A few ticks on side one mar an otherwise excellent pressing.

Opusoid "Doon Wop" (Feedbands)

From the Feedbands website: "Doon Womp is a compilation of songs from Opusoid, AKA Age A, AKA A.J. Leone...We hesitate to even attempt to assign Opusoid a genre. Even A.J. himself struggles, saying the best word to describe his sound would be "playful." Combining Afro-Latin influences, jazz improvisations, live percussion loops, and completely organic sounds, Opusoid creates a genuinely interesting and inimitable overall sound. By relying on the natural rhythms of live performance, the artist is able to weave together compositions that take you on a ride, never staying in one place for long....You'll hear brassy horns, clapping hands, electric guitar fuzz, heavy bass lines, a whole slew of various percussion from beatboxing to bongos, and even some dubstep wub-wub. All we can say is you'll have to hear it for yourself, so hang on tight—this one-of-a-kind listening experience is about to blow your mind." A good sounding recording. You can download tracks for free on the website: http://www.opusoid.com/

Dum Dum Girls "Too True" (Sub Pop)

Follow to 2011's "Only In Dreams" finds Dee Dee and the girls taking a slightly more pop approach to great effect. "Rimbaud Eyes" is one of the years best singles. A very good live band.

Opeth "Pale Communion" (Roadrunner Records)

I admit to having a love/hate relationship with this LP. It's not the beautiful acoustic set of "Damnation" or the metal LP of 'classic Opeth'. Mikael Alkerfedt takes the band in a prog direction which has been a source of controversy (check out the threads on Steve Hoffman's Forum). I really got into this LP, once I got past my expectations based on prior releases. Well recorded.

Mark Lanegan "Phantom Radio" (Flooded Soil)

Another great record from one of my favorite artists (Gutter Twins, The Screaming Trees, etc), although not quite as consistent as the recent "Blues Funeral". Following on the heels of last year's "Imitations" (a fabulous LP of standards), Lanegan is back to his roots. "Floor of the Ocean" is one of the year's best singles.

Real Estate "Atlas" (Domino)

Another fine collection of catchy guitar driven pop tunes. No track stands out in this collection of well crafted songs. Sound quality is pretty good.

James Apollo "Angelorum" (Mattery Records)

A Seattle transplant via Arkansas, this powerhouse live performer's latest release is consistently excellent with strong songwriting and good sonics on CD. Awaiting the vinyl release.

Gary Clark "Live" (Warner Brothers)

Much stronger than his inconsistent, but promising debut. This LP really let's Clark show off his guitar chops. Vinyl sound quality is iffy but the quality of the music and smoking performances win out.

Prince "Art Official Age" (Warner Brothers)

Prince and his original label have patched up their differences and the first new release is an excellent Prince record. While not as hard driving as his 1980's peak, this is a fun LP and is very well recorded.

The Acid House "Number 1a" (Feedbands)

Don't let the band name fool you, the music is definitely not 'acid house' rather it is an impressive debut record of guitar driven songs.

Mike Dillon "Band of Outsiders" (Royal Potato Family)

From a review: "The new album is the perfect storm of Mike Dillon’s creativity: a blend of “deep, funky go-go, experimental hip-hop, snarling punk rock assaults, and ska grooves.” Perfect LP for a boring drive or a high impact workout. Sound quality is mediocre at best.

Ultimate Painting "Ultimate Painting" (Trouble In Mind)

Jack Cooper (Mazes) and James Hoare (Veronica Falls) each contributed 5 songs to this side project. Although breaking no new musical boundries, this is a fun LP of catchy melodies. Worth seeking out.

Sharon Jones "Give The People What They Want" Daptone

After being treated for gallbladder cancer, the hardest working woman in show business roars back with her band the Dap-Kings. From a review "The ten tracks they've delivered are what you've come to expect, even need, from the 11-piece band: the classic songwriting of We Get Along, the impressive energy of Retreat, and, solidified in Stranger To My Happiness; that kind of studio expertise that defines the band and their sound. It's those sharp, danceable funk grooves that stick to your bones; the fervent, impassioned singing that goes straight to your heart; and those sweet soul hooks that stay in your head for days on end. Give the people what they want, indeed." A fun record with typical Daptone production values.

The Smoke Fairies "Smoke Fairies/Wild Winter" (Full Time Hobby)

I combined these two 2014 releases by one of my favorite groups. The eponymous release from earlier this year is filled with typically excellent compositions but marred by one of the worst vinyl pressings I can remember. Buy the CD! Just received "Wild Winter", a collection of seasonal, somewhat darkly themed music on a quality pressing that mitigates the earlier sonic disappointment.

Jack White "Lazaretto" (Third Man Records)

Follow up to the killer LP "Blunderbuss". After you get past the backward recorded track, the hologram and other gimmicks, you are left with another fun release by the White Stripes' frontman. Not as consistent as Blunderbuss but has some great tracks including "High Ball Stepper" and "I Think I Found The Culprit".

Joan As Police Woman "The Classic" (Play It Again Sam)

With vocals a bit reminiscent of Amy Winehouse, vocalist/violinist takes on a more R&B flavor with great results. Sound quality a bit inconsistent but worth seeking out the vinyl IMO.

Other releases I enjoyed...

First Aid Kit "Stay Gold" (Columbia)
Damien Jurado "Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son" (Simply Canadian)
Lake Street Dive "Bad Self Portraits" (Signature Sounds)
Little Hurricane "Gold Fever" (Death Valley Reocrds)
St. Paul and The Broken Bones "Half The City" (Single Lock)
The Sweep "Starlight City Moans" (Feedbands)

Best reissue...The Beatles "In Mono"...like it could be anything else!

Best NOS purchase...The Rolling Stones "Beggar's Banquet" (Decca, mono unboxed). Completely different mix of "Sympathy For The Devil" is revelatory (although still recorded at the wrong speed). Although the remaining tracks are fold downs, the sound quality is excellent.

Hope people jump aboard and add their favorites.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
This year was a bit of a let down after the flood of great releases the past couple of years. These are my favorite releases from 2014 in no particular order with a few comments about sound quality...

Roseanne Cash "The River and The Thread" (Blue Note/Universal)

Roseanne Cash understands that this LP is a career highlight noting on the album cover “If I never make another album I will be content, because I made this one." Beautiful songs, lovingly performed and extremely well recorded on 180 gm vinyl. You'll be hearing this one at audio shows for years. Easy choice for album of the year.

In a year he celebrated his 80th birthday, the great singer/songwriter released the follow up to a masterpiece, "Old Ideas". While not quite up to that lofty standard, this is a really great record. A few ticks on side one mar an otherwise excellent pressing.

Opusoid "Doon Wop" (Feedbands)

From the Feedbands website: "Doon Womp is a compilation of songs from Opusoid, AKA Age A, AKA A.J. Leone...We hesitate to even attempt to assign Opusoid a genre. Even A.J. himself struggles, saying the best word to describe his sound would be "playful." Combining Afro-Latin influences, jazz improvisations, live percussion loops, and completely organic sounds, Opusoid creates a genuinely interesting and inimitable overall sound. By relying on the natural rhythms of live performance, the artist is able to weave together compositions that take you on a ride, never staying in one place for long....You'll hear brassy horns, clapping hands, electric guitar fuzz, heavy bass lines, a whole slew of various percussion from beatboxing to bongos, and even some dubstep wub-wub. All we can say is you'll have to hear it for yourself, so hang on tight—this one-of-a-kind listening experience is about to blow your mind." A good sounding recording. You can download tracks for free on the website: http://www.opusoid.com/

Dum Dum Girls "Too True" (Sub Pop)

Follow to 2011's "Only In Dreams" finds Dee Dee and the girls taking a slightly more pop approach to great effect. "Rimbaud Eyes" is one of the years best singles. A very good live band.

Opeth "Pale Communion" (Roadrunner Records)

I admit to having a love/hate relationship with this LP. It's not the beautiful acoustic set of "Damnation" or the metal LP of 'classic Opeth'. Mikael Alkerfedt takes the band in a prog direction which has been a source of controversy (check out the threads on Steve Hoffman's Forum). I really got into this LP, once I got past my expectations based on prior releases. Well recorded.

Mark Lanegan "Phantom Radio" (Flooded Soil)

Another great record from one of my favorite artists (Gutter Twins, The Screaming Trees, etc), although not quite as consistent as the recent "Blues Funeral". Following on the heels of last year's "Imitations" (a fabulous LP of standards), Lanegan is back to his roots. "Floor of the Ocean" is one of the year's best singles.

Real Estate "Atlas" (Domino)

Another fine collection of catchy guitar driven pop tunes. No track stands out in this collection of well crafted songs. Sound quality is pretty good.

James Apollo "Angelorum" (Mattery Records)

A Seattle transplant via Arkansas, this powerhouse live performer's latest release is consistently excellent with strong songwriting and good sonics on CD. Awaiting the vinyl release.

Gary Clark "Live" (Warner Brothers)

Much stronger than his inconsistent, but promising debut. This LP really let's Clark show off his guitar chops. Vinyl sound quality is iffy but the quality of the music and smoking performances win out.

Prince "Art Official Age" (Warner Brothers)

Prince and his original label have patched up their differences and the first new release is an excellent Prince record. While not as hard driving as his 1980's peak, this is a fun LP and is very well recorded.

The Acid House "Number 1a" (Feedbands)

Don't let the band name fool you, the music is definitely not 'acid house' rather it is an impressive debut record of guitar driven songs.

Mike Dillon "Band of Outsiders" (Royal Potato Family)

From a review: "The new album is the perfect storm of Mike Dillon’s creativity: a blend of “deep, funky go-go, experimental hip-hop, snarling punk rock assaults, and ska grooves.” Perfect LP for a boring drive or a high impact workout. Sound quality is mediocre at best.

Ultimate Painting "Ultimate Painting" (Trouble In Mind)

Jack Cooper (Mazes) and James Hoare (Veronica Falls) each contributed 5 songs to this side project. Although breaking no new musical boundries, this is a fun LP of catchy melodies. Worth seeking out.

Sharon Jones "Give The People What They Want" Daptone

After being treated for gallbladder cancer, the hardest working woman in show business roars back with her band the Dap-Kings. From a review "The ten tracks they've delivered are what you've come to expect, even need, from the 11-piece band: the classic songwriting of We Get Along, the impressive energy of Retreat, and, solidified in Stranger To My Happiness; that kind of studio expertise that defines the band and their sound. It's those sharp, danceable funk grooves that stick to your bones; the fervent, impassioned singing that goes straight to your heart; and those sweet soul hooks that stay in your head for days on end. Give the people what they want, indeed." A fun record with typical Daptone production values.

The Smoke Fairies "Smoke Fairies/Wild Winter" (Full Time Hobby)

I combined these two 2014 releases by one of my favorite groups. The eponymous release from earlier this year is filled with typically excellent compositions but marred by one of the worst vinyl pressings I can remember. Buy the CD! Just received "Wild Winter", a collection of seasonal, somewhat darkly themed music on a quality pressing that mitigates the earlier sonic disappointment.

Jack White "Lazaretto" (Third Man Records)

Follow up to the killer LP "Blunderbuss". After you get past the backward recorded track, the hologram and other gimmicks, you are left with another fun release by the White Stripes' frontman. Not as consistent as Blunderbuss but has some great tracks including "High Ball Stepper" and "I Think I Found The Culprit".

Other releases I enjoyed...

First Aid Kit "Stay Gold" (Columbia)
Damien Jurado "Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son" (Simply Canadian)
Lake Street Dive "Bad Self Portraits" (Signature Sounds)
Little Hurricane "Gold Fever" (Death Valley Reocrds)
St. Paul and The Broken Bones "Half The City" (Single Lock)
The Sweep "Starlight City Moans" (Feedbands)

Best reissue...The Beatles "In Mono"...like it could be anything else!

Best NOS purchase...The Rolling Stones "Beggar's Banquet" (Decca, mono unboxed). Completely different mix of "Sympathy For The Devil" is revelatory (although still recorded at the wrong speed). Although the remaining tracks are fold downs, the sound quality is excellent.

Hope people jump aboard and add their favorites.

An absolutely, primo, top shelf, sublime list. I also own most of these.

Hard to call 2014 disappointing with this roll call!

There are more records that could have been included but certainly let the cream rise to the top.

Let me take the liberty of throwing in Damien Rice's sublime "My Favorite Faded Fantasy" and U2's "Songs Of Innocence". Ok..and Ben Howard.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I thought 2014 was a very good year for fine albums. Not everyone of them was a new release but new to me.

Best Albums I Picked Up This Year (No particular order)

Sean Rowe – The Salesman and the Shark
Sean Rowe - Madman
First Aid Kit – Stay Gold
Barr Brothers – Sleeping Operator
Gina Chavez - Up Rooted
Govi – Pure At Heart
Paolo Nutini – Caustic Love
Sam Smith – In The Lonely Hour
Rufus Wainwright – Live At The Artists Den
Sam Brookes –Kairos
Mary Chapin Carpenter – Songs From The Movie
Leonard Cohen– Popular Problems
Shelby Lynne– Revelation Road
Hozier – Hozier
Natalie Merchant – Motherland
Angus & Julia Stone – Angus & Julia Stone
Roy Bittan – Out Of The Box
The New Basement Tapes - Lost On The River
Joan Shelley - Ginko

Soundtrack –Departures
Soundtrack –La Mula
Soundtrack – Winters Tale

These selections are based on content that interests me and not SQ.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I thought 2014 was a very good year for fine albums. Not everyone of them was a new release but new to me.

Best Albums I Picked Up This Year (No particular order)

Sean Lowe – The Salesman and the Shark
Sean Lowe - Madman
First Aid Kit – Stay Gold
Barr Brothers – Sleeping Operator
Gina Chavez - Up Rooted
Govi – Pure At Heart
Paolo Nutini – Caustic Love
Sam Smith – In The Lonely Hour
Rufus Wainwright – Live At The Artists Den
Sam Brookes –Kairos
Mary Chapin Carpenter – Songs From The Movie
Leonard Cohen– Popular Problems
Shelby Lynne– Revelation Road
Hozier – Hozier
Natalie Merchant – Motherland
Angus & Julia Stone – Angus & Julia Stone
Roy Bittan – Out Of The Box
The New Basement Tapes - Lost On The River
Joan Shelley - Ginko

Soundtrack –Departures
Soundtrack –La Mula
Soundtrack – Winters Tale

These selections are based on content that interests me and not SQ.

You son of a gun..I need to buy you a frosty one...

The New Basement Tape is simply....incredible...Paolo Nutini? Yes man...we were separated at birth! Saw him live a few months ago..fogged about it...Hozier is just insane..from out of no where...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
You son of a gun..I need to buy you a frosty one...

The New Basement Tape is simply....incredible...Paolo Nutini? Yes man...we were separated at birth! Saw him live a few months ago..fogged about it...Hozier is just insane..from out of no where...

I looks like Marcus Mumford and Rhiannon Giddens can do just about anything. If you haven't heard Sean Rowe give him a try. (His name was misspelled in my original post.)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I looks like Marcus Mumford and Rhiannon Giddens can do just about anything. If you haven't heard Sean Rowe give him a try. (His name was misspelled in my original post.)

I wait with great anticipation for Rhiannon's first solo album, out early next year.

I would impose you to try to catch the Showtime documentary on the NBT.

Thanks for the tip on Sean Rowe!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I wait with great anticipation for Rhiannon's first solo album, out early next year.

I would impose you to try to catch the Showtime documentary on the NBT.

Thanks for the tip on Sean Rowe!

I have seen the special. Nicely done.

I was hoping for a Gidden's solo CD. Thanks for the heads up.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Good News: Blues & Soul
Ronnie Earl & Friends

This release by the Earl also has a few vocals and they are superb.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Thanks guys! Keep your recommendations coming. Fixed an accidental omission: Joan As Police Woman. "The Classic"

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Beck's new album 'Morning Phase' is his best in years and the hirez download is worth it.

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
Sturgill Simpson: Metamodern Sounds...
Hurray For The Riff-Raff – Small Town Heroes
Damon Albarn: Everyday Robots
Angel Olsen: Burn Your Fire...
Bryan Ferry: Avonmore
Sun Kil Moon: Benji
Elbow: The Take Off...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
+1 elbow album is phenomenonal

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Thanks for this recommendation :). It is in my HDTRACKs downloader as we speak :). It says the digital recording was originally at 48 Khz but this version is upsampled to 96 KHz???

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing