Cost of shipping speakers from the US

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi anyone in UK or Europe had any speakers shipped over from the US, what was the cost of shipping and what was the weight? Who did the shipping?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi anyone in UK or Europe had any speakers shipped over from the US, what was the cost of shipping and what was the weight? Who did the shipping?

$2K for a pair of Wilson X1s (about 4-5 years ago). i forget the name but their name is very well known...it just escapes me at the moment. I have not shipped equipment for a few years. If someone mentions the name, i'll immediately recognize it. When i remember, i will post.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. Transglobal?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
$2K for a pair of Wilson X1s (about 4-5 years ago). i forget the name but their name is very well known...it just escapes me at the moment. I have not shipped equipment for a few years. If someone mentions the name, i'll immediately recognize it. When i remember, i will post.

Got it...they used TNT.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know this sounds crazy, but for certain things (like big Amps), i have used Fedex on their most economical rate, and i would do it again over UPS any day. I got a personal account and its the best thing. For some reason, the reliability with Fedex here is much higher than UPS (who for a week could not locate the item in their system and it scared the s-t out of me.) UPS have had this problem on 3 occassions...once where i used them and twice where others have used them to send me something. I dont use them here anymore myself.

By contrast, Fedex Economy tracked a 100kg shipment practically by the hour on their system, and it went thru customs no delay, delivered into the living room on the day, no issue. And the price was not that far different from UPS again for about 100kg (220lbs) shipped door to door.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
FedEx once lost friend's SACD player on the way from Poland to Krell factory in CT. It took them a month to find it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks, useful feedback. How do you run American amps here though

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

You mean without resorting to a step down transformer? I don't know how your laws go but over here I believe we're allowed to have certified electricians do 120v lines. Please correct me if I'm wrong folks but I've been told the line frequency doesn't matter for stuff without motors.

Personally, I would make most use of the advantages of having 230v and order an amp factory configured as such.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
My MD 109 was shipped from Canada by DHL Economy, 17.1 kgs for about £270.
It arrived in 7 days and the tracking worked well. I know that is smaller than speakers but the firm was fine.
They also shipped my YG Carmels by road from Croatia, Zagreb, at a good price and again they were fine. Took just over a week and tracking was fine but a bit delayed because they arrived in the UK on a public holiday weekend.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That Canada thing is expensive. Heard there is import duty even for used stuff

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had it shipped from US to the manufacturer for 2 reasons...first to be the honest arbiter that the equipment was in good shape. Bothe seller and I were happier this way. Second the manufacturer did the conversion. Worked out well. Great service and built great loyalty.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes you have to pay VAT on anything from outside the EU, but I still saved a lot and found a very rare used item.

VAT is different from import duty

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
VAT is different from import duty

The challenge is who completes this specific paper work and payment process, have had a nightmare in the past with Customs (but that is more work related rather than hifi/2nd hand gear).
I guess this is made more complicated if purchasing 2nd hand or new.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing