CLX subwoofer intergration!!!!

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The bane of electrostatics is getting good bass

CLX go down to 50 hz little below

They have a lot of mid bass in 60-90 zone

With i think a resonate mode at 70

Getting deep bass to integrate is hard, as you fill in the bass with subwoofers the 70 hz peak seems to thicken the otherwise lithe bass/midbass

Thanks to this site, Nyal and Earl Geddes:-

I have experimented with four subwoofers

In my largish room 13 metres by 6.5 metres by 2.5 metres

I run a idescent with clx cross over at 30

This is run from an external digital crossover with super tweeter cutting at 16khz as an ambience driver

using peq i cut the 70 hx peak by 10 db 1/10 octave

i run delay of 12 msec which i tuned by ear

three other subwoofers slave off this

one centrally running back at the idescent which is in plane of clx speakers

and two others on rear walls running destructively one for each panel in stereo straight back at them(clx)

Measurements show bass between peaks from room modes filled in and peaks smoothed

The clarity and depth and speed of bass is wonderful and beautifully integrated

Very happy :)

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
only taken ten months to figure it out lol

once i read what Nyal and Earl wrote it only took 2 days!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
congrats...one of the all time great joys in audio is superb bass. When you've got that coupled with a panel, that is rare magic indeed. Enjoy!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, can you point out what they wrote?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Way to go! Congratulations!

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
It's a beautiful thing when you have your highs, mids and bass set with proper contrast especially for panels. BIG CONGRATS! :)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes It is quite magnificent

Being able to here subtle bass lines in complex string passages

The explosive plucking in "this ones for Blaton"

I have been amazed and amused

Also a natural ease despite the powerful dynamics

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
If your subs are opposing to drive a mode destructively, you'll need more than one delay.

Did you use REW?

The bane of electrostatics is getting good bass

CLX go down to 50 hz little below

They have a lot of mid bass in 60-90 zone

With i think a resonate mode at 70

Getting deep bass to integrate is hard, as you fill in the bass with subwoofers the 70 hz peak seems to thicken the otherwise lithe bass/midbass

I have experimented with four subwoofers

In my largish room 13 metres by 6.5 metres by 2.5 metres

I run a idescent with clx cross over at 30

This is run from an external digital crossover with super tweeter cutting at 16khz as an ambience driver

using peq i cut the 70 hx peak by 10 db 1/10 octave

i run delay of 12 msec which i tuned by ear

three other subwoofers slave off this

one centrally running back at the idescent which is in plane of clx speakers

and two others on rear walls running destructively one for each panel in stereo straight back at them(clx)

Measurements show bass between peaks from room modes filled in and peaks smoothed

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas

I have experimented with four subwoofers...

Earl Geddes was my mentor when it comes to subwoofer systems.

I had spent years trying to come up with a subwoofer that could "keep up" with a good dipole and have good impact. Sealed, EBS vented, aperiodic, equalized dipole, isobaric, transmission line. None of them delivered the goods.

Then one day Earl described to me his asymmetrical multi-sub configuration. The lightbulb went off in my head. I asked him if I could license his idea. He said I was free to use it, and I have been doing so ever since.

It just so happens that, at the same time Earl was developing his asymmetrical multisub concept, Todd Welti of Harmon International was developing a symmetrical multisub concept. Neither was aware of the other's work until after they had both finished.

Smooth bass = fast bass, subjectively. The ear has poor time-domain resolution at low frequencies, but it can still hear a bass peak as "boom" or "mud". Once the in-room response has been smoothed by multiple subs intelligently distributed, it is much easier to get a good blend with a good pair of dipoles.

Earl once posted that, as a reasonable approximation, the in-room bass smoothness increases as the number of independent bass sources within the room increases. So two subs is "twice as smooth" as one sub, and four subs is "twice as smooth" as two subs. The subjective improvement is even better than a statistical analysis of the new smoother curve would predict: You see, a distributed multisub system not only has smaller peaks and dips, they are also more numerous and therefore bunched up closer together, and the ear/brain system tends to average out peaks and dips that occur within 1/3 octave of each other at bass frequencies.

According to research by James M. Kates, dipoles are smoother in-room than monopoles. Four distributed subs can approximate the in-room smoothness of a good pair of dipoles, but they can do so with the impact that eludes dipoles.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Earl Geddes was my mentor when it comes to subwoofer systems.

I had spent years trying to come up with a subwoofer that could "keep up" with a good dipole and have good impact. Sealed, EBS vented, aperiodic, equalized dipole, isobaric, transmission line. None of them delivered the goods.

Then one day Earl described to me his asymmetrical multi-sub configuration. The lightbulb went off in my head. I asked him if I could license his idea. He said I was free to use it, and I have been doing so ever since.

It just so happens that, at the same time Earl was developing his asymmetrical multisub concept, Todd Welti of Harmon International was developing a symmetrical multisub concept. Neither was aware of the other's work until after they had both finished.

Smooth bass = fast bass, subjectively. The ear has poor time-domain resolution at low frequencies, but it can still hear a bass peak as "boom" or "mud". Once the in-room response has been smoothed by multiple subs intelligently distributed, it is much easier to get a good blend with a good pair of dipoles.

Earl once posted that, as a reasonable approximation, the in-room bass smoothness increases as the number of independent bass sources within the room increases. So two subs is "twice as smooth" as one sub, and four subs is "twice as smooth" as two subs. The subjective improvement is even better than a statistical analysis of the new smoother curve would predict: You see, a distributed multisub system not only has smaller peaks and dips, they are also more numerous and therefore bunched up closer together, and the ear/brain system tends to average out peaks and dips that occur within 1/3 octave of each other at bass frequencies.

According to research by James M. Kates, dipoles are smoother in-room than monopoles. Four distributed subs can approximate the in-room smoothness of a good pair of dipoles, but they can do so with the impact that eludes dipoles.

Enthusiastic + 1 ..

Back in the days about 2008~09. I did it the same with dipoles and have never heard better bass in my system of then (Maggies MG 20.1 based) or any other system for that matter. Subs weren't at times of different brands ( Carver, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Velodyne, etc) . Was looking forward to build an infinite baffle with 8 on TC Sound LM18 inches or Aura 18 inch or Blueprints .. this never materialized ... another story ... What I remember and have been advocating since for is what multi-subs bring to the equation. The increase in performance is not subtle.. even further up the spectrum where the increase in clarity in bass seems to do the same subjectively everywhere else and especially in the treble ... a strange subjective perception.
The audiophile world is not warm to the idea of multiple Low-bass source. We are still mired in the bass (towers) flanking the main speakers and still want tenaciously to believe in "stereo" bass under 50 Hz. There are some changes coming around , lately from Von Shcweikert using DSP and distributed subwoofers. Two of these in the back of the listener and using DSP... another concept many audiophiles find unpalatable... Anyway multi-subs is the way to go and work with most any speakers if care is taken.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
A very interesting, but somewhat scary thread for the audiophile with some OCD traits because there is no limit to where we can go in search of the holy grail, more accurate well blended bass.

Multiple asymmetrical woofers seems logical to help with pressurization of asymmetrical spaces, a necessity for ideal bass integration with dipoles. I guess that as I age, I am moving more toward trying to find and accept the point of diminishing returns, rather than absolute perfection. It is interesting that as I move in this direction, I am less and less of an audio night bird and actually listen to music more than i play with my system.

As a ML owner who loves bass, a pair of JL 113's with Shunyata PC's very carefully set up and in the same plane as my ML's get me to a very pleasing point.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The audiophile world is not warm to the idea of multiple Low-bass source. We are still mired in the bass (towers) flanking the main speakers and still want tenaciously to believe in "stereo" bass under 50 Hz. There are some changes coming around , lately from Von Shcweikert using DSP and distributed subwoofers. Two of these in the back of the listener and using DSP... another concept many audiophiles find unpalatable... Anyway multi-subs is the way to go and work with most any speakers if care is taken.

The audiophile world is particularly warm to idea that one of the most critical parts of high-end systems is proper integration of added bass sources with the main speakers. And that the rules for this match are still an obscure affair - otherwise we would all use mini-monitors with multi-subs. Recipes that are of great value for money are not the same as those for excellence systems. BTW, the official industry stereo bass cut off is 80 Hz, not 50 Hz. See Earl Guedes and Harman on this subject.

High-end is an open minded community but likes to ear, sorry, to read before they believe. ;) And as, people say, one swallow does not make a spring. But yes, we would love to learn in detail from your 2008-9 experience. I unsuccessfully tried it with SoundLabs and it was a disaster. Building a giant bass trap on the front wall did not show a noticeable improvement in measurements but resulted in a much better subjective result.

Just to show things are not so clear as you seem to think, I am attaching two snap shots of a paper on stereo bass. Anyone should read the whole paper - just looking at these images can create a distorted view of the subject.

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 114
  • a2.JPG
    a2.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 111

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
microstrip

You seem to have made it a mission in your life to take the counter-position of whatever I post. it is all good. it makes it a challenge. Your paper seems however to support my point that there is no stereo bass under 50 Hz or since you like to so much to split hair under 45 Hz :) ...

It is not a matter of value for the money but of excellence in reproduction. On that multiple subwoofers wouldn't be the first choice for lowest cost, especially with already expensive full range main speakers... Integration is not an "obscure affair". Multiple subwoofer integration has been thoroughly studied and advocated by the likes off Todd Welti, DeVantier, Floyd Toole and Earl Geddes . Do you have any study proving the contrary? Would like to see those?
As for your interesting claim , that of the High End Community being an "open mind" ... It could well be true ...when people are willing to acept that a few dots on a wall make a "huge" difference.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
microstrip

You seem to have made it a mission in your life to take the counter-position of whatever I post. it is all good. it makes it a challenge. Your paper seems however to support my point that there is no stereo bass under 50 Hz or since you like to so much to split hair under 45 Hz :) ...

It is not a matter of value for the money but of excellence in reproduction. On that multiple subwoofers wouldn't be the first choice for lowest cost, especially with already expensive full range main speakers... Integration is not an "obscure affair". Multiple subwoofer integration has been thoroughly studied and advocated by the likes off Todd Welti, DeVantier, Floyd Toole and Earl Geddes . Do you have any study proving the contrary? Would like to see those?
As for your interesting claim , that of the High End Community being an "open mind" ... It could well be true ...when people are willing to acept that a few dots on a wall make a "huge" difference.

Well, some people could consider you suffer from the persecutory delusion. :D I post very often to WBF, my target is not your posts, but sometimes the posts from people who try to characterize audiophile behavior in general, admitting all of them suffer from the poster youth sins. Yes, I admit that the style of the repented sinner who suddenly saw the light is not my favorite and triggers my attention ... Let go to the welcome challenge. ;)

First a question of vocabulary - in my post integration means blending the subs with the main system - something that was never debated by the people you refer, specially at 50 Hz. They all admit the 80 Hz crossover is good enough and do not debate the transition, except for frequency response. Secondly, the aim of the likes off Todd Welti, DeVantier and Floyd Toole (several authors but the same studies in general) is multichannel bass reproduction with adequate quality over an area that is significant versus total area of the room. F. Toole explicitly refers in his papers that for typical audiophile conditions (a small seat area) other methods are enough. Earl Geddes method is strongly dependent on a small area listening position and is nowhere related with the other authors - as far as I know it is really original work from another great researcher, scholar and designer. As people know I dislike when people who have not read the papers try to mix everything in a common bowl.

BTW, as Amir has posted sometime ago, the old multi-sub techniques of the Harman group have been overtaken by their modern self adjust systems using individual equalization of each sub. The current JBL Synthesis bass management system is really something fantastic, but unfortunately proprietary and not at the reach of amateurs.

For what is worth, I have been playing with two Descent I subs in my system. Still too early to post about it. Again, audiophiles opinion is created by their experiences and also detailed and believable reports, not sensationalist comments on dots.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Well, some people could consider you suffer from the persecutory delusion. :D I post very often to WBF, my target is not your posts, but sometimes the posts from people who try to characterize audiophile behavior in general, admitting all of them suffer from the poster youth sins. Yes, I admit that the style of the repented sinner who suddenly saw the light is not my favorite and triggers my attention ... Let go to the welcome challenge. ;)

First a question of vocabulary - in my post integration means blending the subs with the main system - something that was never debated by the people you refer, specially at 50 Hz. They all admit the 80 Hz crossover is good enough and do not debate the transition, except for frequency response. Secondly, the aim of the likes off Todd Welti, DeVantier and Floyd Toole (several authors but the same studies in general) is multichannel bass reproduction with adequate quality over an area that is significant versus total area of the room. F. Toole explicitly refers in his papers that for typical audiophile conditions (a small seat area) other methods are enough. Earl Geddes method is strongly dependent on a small area listening position and is nowhere related with the other authors - as far as I know it is really original work from another great researcher, scholar and designer. As people know I dislike when people who have not read the papers try to mix everything in a common bowl.

BTW, as Amir has posted sometime ago, the old multi-sub techniques of the Harman group have been overtaken by their modern self adjust systems using individual equalization of each sub. The current JBL Synthesis bass management system is really something fantastic, but unfortunately proprietary and not at the reach of amateurs.

For what is worth, I have been playing with two Descent I subs in my system. Still too early to post about it. Again, audiophiles opinion is created by their experiences and also detailed and believable reports, not sensationalist comments on dots.

I admit being lost in your second paragraph. The first can be safely ignored ;)

Also waiting for your results on the Descent.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Earl Geddes method is strongly dependent on a small area listening position and is nowhere related with the other authors...

Earl's asymmetrical approach has the same goals and same general results as Welti et al, including a significant reduction in spatial variation (differences in frequency response from one location to another within the room).

Earl offers a custom DSP-programming service that can be optimized for a small or large listening area, but the principles he embraces are by no means dependent on a small listening area.

One advantage of this reduced spatial variation is, if a multisub system still has a significant frequency response anomaly, it is likely to be a global rather than a local phenomenon, and therefore a good candidate for correction via equalization. That being said, to the best of my knowledge none of my multisub system customers have needed to use the parametric EQ section of their amplifier for room correction.

In my opinion the symmetrical approach has a theoretical disadvantage, which is, there is probably no such thing as a symmetrical room at low frequencies. If an otherwise symmetrical room has openings, doors, windows, closets, or any other feature that results in a physically weakened area of the room, the effective room dimensions at low frequencies are changed. This is true even with studio-quality doors (according to Toole in "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms"). And rooms with neither doors nor other openings are of limited utility.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing