General question about Turntables and Tonearms.

Which is your preferred purchase option?

• Total voters

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
AGON occasionally has new VPI Classic 3 tables for $4800, supposedly taken from dealers going out of business. I once purchased one of these, and had great luck - was perfectly new. Not sure what the warranty issue would be, but I used the table for a year and sold it for a couple of hundred less than I paid for it- not a bad deal IMHO. I have also had a Well Tempered Amadeus, and sounded incredible. My only issue was the occasional tweaking needed for the tonearm, as the golf ball would occasionally move in the bath. I would also check out Sota, which you can order directly from Sota. Donna and Kirk can lead you in the assembly of a great tt-arm set up, and they offer a turnkey package of set up if you don't have a dealer to work with. I'm on my second Sota, this time a Nova, and they are built like tanks. Good luck, and share your final decision and impressions once you're listening.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
AGON occasionally has new VPI Classic 3 tables for $4800, supposedly taken from dealers going out of business. I once purchased one of these, and had great luck - was perfectly new. Not sure what the warranty issue would be, but I used the table for a year and sold it for a couple of hundred less than I paid for it- not a bad deal IMHO. I have also had a Well Tempered Amadeus, and sounded incredible. My only issue was the occasional tweaking needed for the tonearm, as the golf ball would occasionally move in the bath. I would also check out Sota, which you can order directly from Sota. Donna and Kirk can lead you in the assembly of a great tt-arm set up, and they offer a turnkey package of set up if you don't have a dealer to work with. I'm on my second Sota, this time a Nova, and they are built like tanks. Good luck, and share your final decision and impressions once you're listening.

Thanks scouter! I've looked at the SOTA tables, but merely via a glance. If there is anyone else out there with experience or an opinion on the SOTA tables I would welcome your thoughts.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi XV-1,

I've received more information on the Hanss and it is now out of the equation! Thank you for also confirming the quality (or lack thereof)!

Pleasure Johhny

there are more than enough lovely made in USA or western Europe turntables that sound wonderful and don't cost a small car. :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Pleasure Johhny

there are more than enough lovely made in USA or western Europe turntables that sound wonderful and don't cost a small car. :D

There are indeed my friend! We're pretty luck actually and I know I'll find something.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
There are indeed my friend! We're pretty luck actually and I know I'll find something.

I must admit, at your price range I would have to choose between the VPI Prime and Classic 1 or 2. Probably I would go the Prime as it looks better, with better feet. Both could be upgraded with a SDS at a later stage.

cheers

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing