bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did you hear them with the Arions?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Ok, I haven't heard the 20.7s. Was the Omega stock or with Mike's Duelund mods?

Lloyd, I heard the Amphis in a 23ft * 15 ft room, placed on the short wall. I think 20ft would have been ok too. Thing is bass might get overwhelming in smaller rooms, so might have to tone down on amps etc - pure speculation on my part.

Not sure of the answer to your question. However, I do know Mike was running external crossovers on the Omega and they sounded great. The light bass could have been partially attributable to the Arion HS-500 Class D tube/solid state hybrid amps he was using.

http://www.arionaudio.com/products.html

Ken

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not sure of the answer to your question. However, I do know Mike was running external crossovers on the Omega and they sounded great. The light bass could have been partially attributable to the Arion HS-500 Class D tube/solid state hybrid amps he was using.

Ken

Yes, I thought so. Actually I asked you if they were the Arions in a follow up question. Mike makes the Arions himself, and while they are nice class D hybrids for other speakers, I don't think they suit the Analysis well.

As for the mods, the external crossover - Mike uses 3 types of crossovers, Jupiter, Miundorf, and Duelunds, the Duelunds being the most expensive. I think you probably heard them with those.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ok, I haven't heard the 20.7s. Was the Omega stock or with Mike's Duelund mods?

Lloyd, I heard the Amphis in a 23ft * 15 ft room, placed on the short wall. I think 20ft would have been ok too. Thing is bass might get overwhelming in smaller rooms, so might have to tone down on amps etc - pure speculation on my part.

Thanks...good to know.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Ken

You should then listen to it with a valve like the Lamm - if you already liked the midrange with the Arion, this will be another stratosphere. You will get that in NY. I heard Arions and Lamms back to back. Lamms much more involving and beautiful, much better soundstage, at a much higher price. You can replicate that at a much lower cost with NAT Audio amps from Serbia, though maintenance becomes an issue. The M2.2 being a hybrid produces more current and dynamics though. My midriff is still hurting from the punch received at the end of Gnomus in Mussorgsky's Pictures

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Bonzo, thanks for that advice, looks like there is a lot more I need to learn about these panels.
Ref to purchasing outside of Australia is not a good move, especially with shipping costs and insurance. Although the price of the product would be far less in the US no doubt, I would end up paying extra charges for shipping costs that would eventually end up probably more than what's on offer here...

This has happened to several people I know and regretting it very much. I really love the Omicron's and what it can do and I strongly feel it would fit just perfect in my smallish room (12ft across x 10ft high x 15ft length), and then it merges into a dining area with a kitchen. We live in a small unit where my Quads look bigger than the house!
Listening distance is only 9ft from the panels because the stats are around 5ft away from the front wall.

I think the omega would be far too big. My present cj will also easily drive the Omicron's to their best, and I don't listen loud at all nor do I listen to classical. I'm a jazz nut!

If the GT speakers were available here, then I would certainly be interested in them. I'm just looking at the map and as you can see, we are located way down under. Australia is quite far away from the US mate, hence we are somewhat limited to what's on offer.

Even purchases out of state are not cheap.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hey there,

I am using the KT120's from Tungsol. I did try a few others prior to these but so far the KT120's have been top notch so far in all areas. I have used KT90's before in my Manley Ref 350's and also the KT88, apart from the usual 6550C. Overall, the EL34 was a special tube with a wonderful mid-range and great sound-staging, however lacked the extra oomph.

Yes, the c-j combo would be a great match with the Omicron's!
Will let you know how it all goes.
Cheers and enjoy your stats!
RJ

Sorry i just noticed that RAJ J on Audio Review his also from Melbourne Australia so looks like Big Dog RJ and Raj j are the same one cool.:)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
RJ,

Really great to hear the AAs worked out as such a good fit and the enthusiasm is there, look forward to hearing how it works out. They do have such a beautiful mid range and if you could afford maybe a gat art to go with them that would be one extraordinarily rich and lush combo... sounds perfect.

Graham

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
RJ,

Really great to hear the AAs worked out as such a good fit and the enthusiasm is there, look forward to hearing how it works out. They do have such a beautiful mid range and if you could afford maybe a gat art to go with them that would be one extraordinarily rich and lush combo... sounds perfect.

Graham

For ( Me - Me - Me - ) at 14k NOTHING does the job like a Magnepan 20.7 nothing nothing nothing

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
C'mon Andre,

Its Christmas time so surely this is not really sposed to be just about you you you, in fact this thread is actually about RJ RJ RJ and his experience with the AAs and also there is another currently active thread on the subject of comparing various panels where this might be more thoughtfully placed.

G

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
For ( Me - Me - Me - ) at 14k NOTHING does the job like a Magnepan 20.7 nothing nothing nothing

Totally dependent on room, set up and accompanying gear. Speakers are only one part of the total equation.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
C'mon Andre,

Its Christmas time so surely this is not really sposed to be just about you you you, in fact this thread is actually about RJ RJ RJ and his experience with the AAs and also there is another currently active thread on the subject of comparing various panels where this might be more thoughtfully placed.

G

Ok i will quietly leave leaving leaving gone.:)

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey, thanks everyone for all your advice and tips. They are certainly most welcome and once again I am pleased with what I'm learning. You can't learn this stuff from text books or in a class room!

I have put the word out on selling my Quads, I don't know how long it would take for a pristine pair of stats to be sold here in Australia, but one thing for sure is I'm not dropping the price so low just for the sake of purchasing a new pair of Omicron's, when they're not even top of the line.

This is what the dealer is suggesting I do.
Forget that! These guys are smooth talkers sometimes they forget that the person they're trying to sell to happens to have a MBA as well as a BA in marketing. ..

If I cannot get the Quads to go at a decent price then I will not jump onto the Omicron.
Driven with top notch cj gear the Quads are still a fantastic system to enjoy.

I think as many of you probably recommend, it would be far wiser to wait a bit longer and save up, and then make a decision.

I think I got a bit carried away there for a moment with the AA's, forgetting my motto of being satisfied with what you have...

However, they are simply stunning panels with a remarkable sound.

Cheers to all, and keep enjoying your music!
Santa will have to wait. ..
RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey, thanks everyone for all your advice and tips. They are certainly most welcome and once again I am pleased with what I'm learning. You can't learn this stuff from text books or in a class room!

I have put the word out on selling my Quads, I don't know how long it would take for a pristine pair of stats to be sold here in Australia, but one thing for sure is I'm not dropping the price so low just for the sake of purchasing a new pair of Omicron's, when they're not even top of the line.

This is what the dealer is suggesting I do.
Forget that! These guys are smooth talkers sometimes they forget that the person they're trying to sell to happens to have a MBA as well as a BA in marketing. ..

If I cannot get the Quads to go at a decent price then I will not jump onto the Omicron.
Driven with top notch cj gear the Quads are still a fantastic system to enjoy.

I think as many of you probably recommend, it would be far wiser to wait a bit longer and save up, and then make a decision.

I think I got a bit carried away there for a moment with the AA's, forgetting my motto of being satisfied with what you have...

However, they are simply stunning panels with a remarkable sound.

Cheers to all, and keep enjoying your music!
Santa will have to wait. ..
RJ

Totally agree...there is ALWAYS another amp, another speaker, another, another...you have a truly great system comprised of [at least] 2 names that have a long storied history in great audio...CJ and Quad. Enjoy it. And if the time comes when you can exit the mighty Quads at price that allows you to consider your AA options...great. Until, then settle back and enjoy!! You've already got magic.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah, as of now, I am not buying, just comparing. Enough time to buy.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I've heard them with and without the Arion amps. I think any light bass you may have heard is attributable to the Arions. These speakers definitely do bass with the right amplification. I've also heard the Arions on other speakers and that light bass sound extended to them also, so I would point the finger at the amps.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Seasons greetings, hope everyone is enjoying the festive spirit, and Merry Christmas!

This one is for all you Stat lovers;

I thought I'd post this quick one since I discovered something new with my Quads. During the holidays, after visiting the chap with the Omega's and VTL's, with several trials of panel placement, angle toe-ins etc, we stumbled upon something quite intriguing with the Quads. I had them placed fairly straight with very slight toe-in and received that great stat depth and excellent sound-staging. However, it lacked impact and that slam I was craving for after listening to AA's ribbons.

We them placed the Quads directly angled into the listening position (simply as the owner's manual suggests) and nice one! Piano, strings, vocals including the rest of the spectrum had far greater impact with apparently the same depth and fantastic sound-staging! Now I can clearly compare them to the AA ribbons, and the main difference with the AA's is that all of this is produced with greater impact, along with faster transients and tighter bass. That's about it!

I also moved the Quads back a foot towards the back wall, so now instead of 5ft away, they're sitting 4ft away. This also gives me about a foot more of listening distance which enhanced the overall depth and bass. I am now beginning to enjoy my Quads once again, and realized just how good these stats are! For those with stats, I hope you have all thoughtfully placed them since I was too dam ignorant to read the owner's manual properly...

I think I might just keep the Quads after all, and have an AA ribbon as a second pair of reference speakers. The smaller Omicron's would be good enough, I wouldn't really need the big Omega's unless I was doing a complete overhaul.

Have a good one, and cheers to all you stat fans!
RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Seasons greetings, hope everyone is enjoying the festive spirit, and Merry Christmas!

This one is for all you Stat lovers;

I thought I'd post this quick one since I discovered something new with my Quads. During the holidays, after visiting the chap with the Omega's and VTL's, with several trials of panel placement, angle toe-ins etc, we stumbled upon something quite intriguing with the Quads. I had them placed fairly straight with very slight toe-in and received that great stat depth and excellent sound-staging. However, it lacked impact and that slam I was craving for after listening to AA's ribbons.

We them placed the Quads directly angled into the listening position (simply as the owner's manual suggests) and nice one! Piano, strings, vocals including the rest of the spectrum had far greater impact with apparently the same depth and fantastic sound-staging! Now I can clearly compare them to the AA ribbons, and the main difference with the AA's is that all of this is produced with greater impact, along with faster transients and tighter bass. That's about it!

I also moved the Quads back a foot towards the back wall, so now instead of 5ft away, they're sitting 4ft away. This also gives me about a foot more of listening distance which enhanced the overall depth and bass. I am now beginning to enjoy my Quads once again, and realized just how good these stats are! For those with stats, I hope you have all thoughtfully placed them since I was too dam ignorant to read the owner's manual properly...

I think I might just keep the Quads after all, and have an AA ribbon as a second pair of reference speakers. The smaller Omicron's would be good enough, I wouldn't really need the big Omega's unless I was doing a complete overhaul.

Have a good one, and cheers to all you stat fans!
RJ

Great audio equipment has a way of improving when things like what you did are carefully done. Congrats! And it was free!!! Even better. I am under the impression that one thing AA does well is build very robust frames which helps i suspect in the delivery of impact because the entire framework is more solid?

I think Quad did the same versus the original from many, many years ago. The question is whether any damping or isolation to further reduce vibration have any effect on the sound? Just curious...perhaps might be another 'tweak' to keep improving your already great Quads...enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing