Analysis Planar Ribbon Loudspeakers

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Oh! My golly gentlemen.

I thought I must start a new thread on this because I just came back from probably the best demo I have ever heard with ref to planar ribbons!

First of all, the dealer, from Melbourne Hifi, Con Dikios, clearly stated that there are no cross over boxes or anything in the chain. Just the plain panels itself, and all models are that way upto the Omega's. Not too sure about the Apmhy's though, if you wanted to bi-amp or do some other hook up by adding multiple amplification, then perhaps a cross over is required. Other than that I didn't see any cross over, and Con was so confused as to why there should be a cross over, when they're already built into the panels.

Each panel as two sets of connections for bi-amplification. Con didn't have the Omega's nor the other series on demo, only the Omicron's were set up. Amplification was all Naim gear top-of-the-line Statement amps, and pre. Source was digital through Naim unit as well. These amps are huge tower looking designs operate in Class D mode, and solid state. That's it, no other bells or whistles or gizmo's...

The Omicron's were medium in size, about the size of the Quad 2805. They were in drop dead gorgeous white lacquer and had the Ananlysis logo very nicely displayed just like the Omega's I listened to. Now I must say that the Omega's were driven by 750 watt VTL tube amps, and so I thought this Omicron was going to be a waste of time.

Christ was I wrong! The sound was absolutely stunning! Effortless drive, excellent bass, ultra lighting quick and yes they are, I thought I'd never live to say this but they are better than my current Quads... very sad, I will now lye over the tracks and allow the next train to run me over...

I don't know what it is, but those huge VTL's were outstanding, however these Naim Statements were extra-ordinary! I also strongly believe that my Conrad Johnson will easily drive these ribbons, as they are far easier to drive than Apogee's. I just love the Omicron's, and wanted to leave with the pair since he offered me an excellent price. However, being true to myself for not upgrading until my daughter finishes high school, I had to literally bite my hand!

I do know for a fact though that the Omega's would require a LOT more power to get them going, and as you go up the chain in Analysis ribbons, they so breath taking. having said that, I could happily live with the Omicron's not wanting anything more from these wonderful ribbons. I think these chaps are onto something here, seriously this stuff hasn't been reviewed enough to make a noise.

The only area that my Quads can do better is the depth of soundstage and imaging, mostly due to its dispersion pattern. I can also get the Quads to go pretty loud and present a great launch of dynamics but the Omicron's driven with top amplification can launch a great deal of dynamics within just a few watts. Effortless drive and something that I must say to all audiophiles to give these ribbons a listen if you are keen to be truly immersed in endless hours of musicality.

I really didn't want to leave the place without these, and I just love my Quads too. I think I will get a pair of these gems later on just as a second speaker system to enjoy on special occasions.

Ok Bonzo, you win mate, these are definitely wonderful panels, and I was VERY impressed with the way the Omicron's handled complex and demanding musical passages.
They are simply awesome.
Cheers mate, I actually enjoyed that demo after nearly a decade...
RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Awesome that you had such a great experience and thanks for posting this...

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Oh! My golly gentlemen.

I thought I must start a new thread on this because I just came back from probably the best demo I have ever heard with ref to planar ribbons!

First of all, the dealer, from Melbourne Hifi, Con Dikios, clearly stated that there are no cross over boxes or anything in the chain. Just the plain panels itself, and all models are that way upto the Omega's. Not too sure about the Apmhy's though, if you wanted to bi-amp or do some other hook up by adding multiple amplification, then perhaps a cross over is required. Other than that I didn't see any cross over, and Con was so confused as to why there should be a cross over, when they're already built into the panels.

Each panel as two sets of connections for bi-amplification. Con didn't have the Omega's nor the other series on demo, only the Omicron's were set up. Amplification was all Naim gear top-of-the-line Statement amps, and pre. Source was digital through Naim unit as well. These amps are huge tower looking designs operate in Class D mode, and solid state. That's it, no other bells or whistles or gizmo's...

The Omicron's were medium in size, about the size of the Quad 2805. They were in drop dead gorgeous white lacquer and had the Ananlysis logo very nicely displayed just like the Omega's I listened to. Now I must say that the Omega's were driven by 750 watt VTL tube amps, and so I thought this Omicron was going to be a waste of time.

Christ was I wrong! The sound was absolutely stunning! Effortless drive, excellent bass, ultra lighting quick and yes they are, I thought I'd never live to say this but they are better than my current Quads... very sad, I will now lye over the tracks and allow the next train to run me over...

I don't know what it is, but those huge VTL's were outstanding, however these Naim Statements were extra-ordinary! I also strongly believe that my Conrad Johnson will easily drive these ribbons, as they are far easier to drive than Apogee's. I just love the Omicron's, and wanted to leave with the pair since he offered me an excellent price. However, being true to myself for not upgrading until my daughter finishes high school, I had to literally bite my hand!

I do know for a fact though that the Omega's would require a LOT more power to get them going, and as you go up the chain in Analysis ribbons, they so breath taking. having said that, I could happily live with the Omicron's not wanting anything more from these wonderful ribbons. I think these chaps are onto something here, seriously this stuff hasn't been reviewed enough to make a noise.

The only area that my Quads can do better is the depth of soundstage and imaging, mostly due to its dispersion pattern. I can also get the Quads to go pretty loud and present a great launch of dynamics but the Omicron's driven with top amplification can launch a great deal of dynamics within just a few watts. Effortless drive and something that I must say to all audiophiles to give these ribbons a listen if you are keen to be truly immersed in endless hours of musicality.

I really didn't want to leave the place without these, and I just love my Quads too. I think I will get a pair of these gems later on just as a second speaker system to enjoy on special occasions.

Ok Bonzo, you win mate, these are definitely wonderful panels, and I was VERY impressed with the way the Omicron's handled complex and demanding musical passages.
They are simply awesome.
RJ

RJ,

I auditioned the Analysis Omega's back in 2012 and I was extremely impressed with them. I preferred their sound to Magnepan and Quad, which I also auditioned around the same time. I believe Analysis offers the option of inboard or outboard crossovers. I heard the outboard crossover and the sound was addictive.

Ken

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
You're most welcome Loyd!

They were truly amazing, something I didn't expect at all, having owned so many ribbon types before, including electro-stats, now I clearly understand why Bonzo sold off his Martin Logan's.

These things are in a totally different league!

Martin Logan, Quad, Apogee, Maggies, Sanders, Inner-sound, Sound Lab, Jensen, Acustat, etc, I've heard them extensively, and owned nearly all of them, and currently I have the dam top of the line Quad ESL 2905. But these little Omicron's beat the hell out of all these systems.

I can only imagine what a pair of top line Omega's or Amphy's would sound like driven with top notch amplification, similar to say your Gryphon or Vitus Audio, something in pure Class A would probably be the best true audiophile system of the decade!
Since I'm a tube fan, I am going to arrange for a demo with my little power house, the c-j MV60SE for a spin. If all goes well, then I will sell my Quads, and only then will I purchase these. That way I don't have to put out any extra cash, more or less like a trade-in deal.

Oh! I forgot, the main reason I wanted to let you know something in ref to your QX4.

I remember you saying that the QX 4 is first plugged into the AC mains, and from there onto a power isolator and so on... correct? And this is the way most of us have configured our QX4 units.

I did some extensive research on this and came across optimal placements in my system, and found that the following improved the overall soundstage dramatically!
1. Un-plug the QX4 from the mains, and connect the power isolator or power conditioning systems directly instead, followed by the rest of your gear.
2. Plug your source component/equipment directly into the QX4; SACD player, Dac, transport, turntable whatever is your main source
3. Plug the QX4 into the power strip where the rest of the components are plugged into.
4. Turn on and enjoy the ride!

Also, you have to ensure that the QX4 unit is placed directly on a shelf, preferably at close to ear level when seated, and between the speakers. This lifts the soundstage by a foot or so, and the scale is so captivating that the full 3-D effect is right there in front of you. Vocals are presented with precision and finesse, and each instrument has pin-point layering that fills the soundstage with far less distortion and virtually zero noise floor.

I don't know if it worked for you before but try this config instead and do let me know.

I also came across this config in the QRT layout, where it shows components are plugged directly into the QX2, and so on... But I strongly believe that in an already highly transparent system that just one QX4 should do.

Cheers to all, RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Big Dog RJ,

Now THAT's a plan!!! I like it...sell the Quads, enjoy the AA panels now...life is short. I like that plan...so good luck with the sale. TBH, i have always liked panels, and still remember my weeks contemplating a second hand pair of Apogee Stages many, many years ago...i can honestly say if i'd had the money way back when, i think i would have foregone the SF Guarneris and maybe even the Strads...particularly since i was planning on a sub with them.

I have to give the AA a listen.

As for QX4...thanks for the tip! Yes, i have the wall into the QX4...and will try your suggestion: Wall to PC, and then Zanden straight to QX4 into the PC. As for moving the Qx4, that is a tougher one...let me think about how to get that one to work given our configuration here...

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
RJ,

I auditioned the Analysis Omega's back in 2012 and I was extremely impressed with them. I preferred their sound to Magnepan and Quad, which I also auditioned around the same time. I believe Analysis offers the option of inboard or outboard crossovers. I heard the outboard crossover and the sound was addictive.

Ken

G'day Ken,

Yes! these things are outstanding. I really didn't expect them to deliver such an effortless performance, and one that tops every demo I have heard within the past decade.
The Omega's are superb but I cannot afford that purchase right now, they are nearly 30 grand for the pair. The Omicron's are just fine for me at the moment and will also suit my current room. It will be very hard to part with the Quads, although I would have preferred to have both types of systems. Cannot have all the cake at once can we...

Cheers mate, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Big Dog RJ,

Now THAT's a plan!!! I like it...sell the Quads, enjoy the AA panels now...life is short. I like that plan...so good luck with the sale. TBH, i have always liked panels, and still remember my weeks contemplating a second hand pair of Apogee Stages many, many years ago...i can honestly say if i'd had the money way back when, i think i would have foregone the SF Guarneris and maybe even the Strads...particularly since i was planning on a sub with them.

I have to give the AA a listen.

As for QX4...thanks for the tip! Yes, i have the wall into the QX4...and will try your suggestion: Wall to PC, and then Zanden straight to QX4 into the PC. As for moving the Qx4, that is a tougher one...let me think about how to get that one to work given our configuration here...

Hey mate,

I was so taken up by the AA ribbons, couldn't listen enjoyably to the Quads any more... I was only enjoying the expansive depth in soundstage, that's about it. Even the legendary Quad mid-range was beaten! Especially on piano, wow! Looks like I'm going to make that deal after all, what the hec I am a sinner.

Ref to your Gryphon and CJ Gat, that would be one AWESOME sound with AA's, I could imagine this one indeed... You might have to leave the Wilson's out on the front lawn!

Con, couldn't demo the Omega's or bigger panels because they are in storage, and cost a hell of a lot more. People here in Melbourne are not too geared to lofty prices for audio systems but they would spend the moon on fancy cars. Audi, BMW, Merc, Lexus, Ferrari, Porsche, Mazarati, you name it they sell like hot cakes!
I drive a 1998 Mitsubishi Verada, whenever I see a "Fancy" car drive by I pass gas because I know I'm coming home to something far more pleasurable. Family and music! What more do you really need eh?
A true music lover would only understand what such systems are all about, and the simple pleasures they deliver.

Ref to the QX4, if you cannot get it positioned close to ear level, at least on a shelf would be fine. I don't know what it really does but placing in between the speakers definitely improves something. It is far more noticeable when you switch the QX4 off, and listen to one track without it. Turn the QX4 back on and you'll realize the difference straight away.

Have a good one!
Cheers, RJ

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Oh! My golly gentlemen.

They are simply awesome.
RJ

Hi Big Dog if you liked what you heard with Naim wait till you hear them with your Conrad, by the way are you using KT-120s in your Conrad or stocked 6550s ????? thank's for the answer and i wish you a nice pair of Omicron's for the new year.:)

http://forums.audioreview.com/amps-preamps/kt120-vacuum-tube-tung-sol-36417.html

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
G'day Ken,

Yes! these things are outstanding. I really didn't expect them to deliver such an effortless performance, and one that tops every demo I have heard within the past decade.
The Omega's are superb but I cannot afford that purchase right now, they are nearly 30 grand for the pair. The Omicron's are just fine for me at the moment and will also suit my current room. It will be very hard to part with the Quads, although I would have preferred to have both types of systems. Cannot have all the cake at once can we...

Cheers mate, RJ

Hi RJ,

Yes, definitely buy the ones that fit your room and your budget. The Omicron is a great speaker and all the Analysis models are superbly built, far above the build quality of Apogees (I used to own Duetta Signatures). The beauty of these speakers is they produce vocals and piano that are more lifelike than virtually any other speaker. Bass can tend to be a little on the light side so proper amp and cable matching, as well as speaker placement, are important.

Best of Luck,
Ken

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi Big Dog if you liked what you heard with Naim wait till you hear them with your Conrad, by the way are you using KT-120s in your Conrad or stocked 6550s ????? thank's for the answer and i wish you a nice pair of Omicron's for the new year.:)

http://forums.audioreview.com/amps-preamps/kt120-vacuum-tube-tung-sol-36417.html

Hey there,

I am using the KT120's from Tungsol. I did try a few others prior to these but so far the KT120's have been top notch so far in all areas. I have used KT90's before in my Manley Ref 350's and also the KT88, apart from the usual 6550C. Overall, the EL34 was a special tube with a wonderful mid-range and great sound-staging, however lacked the extra oomph.

Yes, the c-j combo would be a great match with the Omicron's!
Will let you know how it all goes.
Cheers and enjoy your stats!
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi RJ,

Yes, definitely buy the ones that fit your room and your budget. The Omicron is a great speaker and all the Analysis models are superbly built, far above the build quality of Apogees (I used to own Duetta Signatures). The beauty of these speakers is they produce vocals and piano that are more lifelike than virtually any other speaker. Bass can tend to be a little on the light side so proper amp and cable matching, as well as speaker placement, are important.

Best of Luck,
Ken

Yes, absolutely! That's the first thing I noticed, presentation of piano and vocals, and a superb mid-range with well balanced highs. Very smooth and powerful!

The bass was also superbly delivered, gutty and well defined, more so than my Quads. Driven by Naim Class D monobloks, the bass was very fast, high impact and tremendous control. The agility of the bass was awesome. I do get all of this with the Quads but not at this level. The other thing is if you required more bass power, then the larger panels would suit better, however would require a much larger room.

The room size I currently have would fit the Omicron's perfectly, more so than the big Quads that take up quite a large floor space.
This is all very exciting stuff, and I am learning new things from these panels. Do hope to have them some day soon, patience is virtue...

Cheers! RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMO Analysis is the best speaker for piano. For doing orchestral, you really need the Omega or the Amhitryon. Btw, these two speakers are easier to drive then their smaller siblings. The bigger the panel gets the easier it gets to drive. The Amphi can be driven by 50w SETs.

What is your room size. Used Omegas are available in Europe for 7kish EUR often. I have heard them with Lamm hybrids, NAT Audio 120w SET monos, AR Ref 110 (with KT 120), and the Crown digital 500w amp that costs only 500 quid. If you are strapped for duns, I would advise getting an used Omega and the Crown amp, and playing on till you can upgrade amps, and the Crown is pretty good, as its pro gear, so you will really need to go high up. I wouldn't advise upgrading to my AR Ref 110, not worth the money.

There are other ways to keep the whole set up cheap. If you buy a Deqx, it can be used as a source and pre, and songs digitally fed into it. The deqx does a brilliant job as an active crossover, so use the crown for the bass and your existing CJ for the mids, or sell *** CJ and get two crowns, and you have your whole Omega speaker system for less than 10k EUR. Then upgrade as you get more cash to burn.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi RJ,

Best of Luck,
Ken

Hi are you referring to bass from Omega and Amphi? I thought it was excessive in Amphi for small rooms, though for big rooms its ideal. The orchestral slam was also excellent. But then I heard both with modded crossovers, and the NAT audio is definitely bassy. Not sure if the Lamm is bassy or not. Cables with NAT were LFD audio (not expensive in hifi terms), and with Lamm were JPS Labs

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also Big Dog if you are that keen to buy think of that US$6k Planar hybrid from NJ I wrote about on the other thread. It is nearly Omega

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey mate,

I was so taken up by the AA ribbons, couldn't listen enjoyably to the Quads any more... I was only enjoying the expansive depth in soundstage, that's about it. Even the legendary Quad mid-range was beaten! Especially on piano, wow! Looks like I'm going to make that deal after all, what the hec I am a sinner.

Ref to your Gryphon and CJ Gat, that would be one AWESOME sound with AA's, I could imagine this one indeed... You might have to leave the Wilson's out on the front lawn!

Con, couldn't demo the Omega's or bigger panels because they are in storage, and cost a hell of a lot more. People here in Melbourne are not too geared to lofty prices for audio systems but they would spend the moon on fancy cars. Audi, BMW, Merc, Lexus, Ferrari, Porsche, Mazarati, you name it they sell like hot cakes!
I drive a 1998 Mitsubishi Verada, whenever I see a "Fancy" car drive by I pass gas because I know I'm coming home to something far more pleasurable. Family and music! What more do you really need eh?
A true music lover would only understand what such systems are all about, and the simple pleasures they deliver.

Ref to the QX4, if you cannot get it positioned close to ear level, at least on a shelf would be fine. I don't know what it really does but placing in between the speakers definitely improves something. It is far more noticeable when you switch the QX4 off, and listen to one track without it. Turn the QX4 back on and you'll realize the difference straight away.

Have a good one!
Cheers, RJ

Great stuff, RJ. It actually is already on a shelf in its own 'isolation sandwich' both underneath and on top...and in the equipment rack that sits in between the speakeres...but just not dead center within the rack itself.

I am really happy for you if you get that deal done on the AA speakers. Panels can do things i think due to their technology that, when done right, are just pure magic. Cones that i have heard still dont give me that particular kind of magic...but cones do other things well. But if these panels can throw that slam around with a higher powered amp...and really deliver the magic that a good panel can...well, that might indeed be something i need to go hear.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lloyd, you should hear the Omega in Taunton. If you do feel they don't have sufficient slam (because it's an all valve set up), but like the rest, do a quick trip to NY and listen to them with Lamm M2.2 hybrid. While you are there, also visit Marty, because you might benefit from his Tact set up as you too have a pair of cones with 2 subs.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi are you referring to bass from Omega and Amphi? I thought it was excessive in Amphi for small rooms, though for big rooms its ideal. The orchestral slam was also excellent. But then I heard both with modded crossovers, and the NAT audio is definitely bassy. Not sure if the Lamm is bassy or not. Cables with NAT were LFD audio (not expensive in hifi terms), and with Lamm were JPS Labs

I was referring to bass from Omicron, Epsilon and Omega, not Amphitryon. I auditioned Omicron, Epsilon and Omega at Mike's (U.S. Distributor). I found Magnepan 3.7 had more robust bass than Omicron and Epsilon and 20.7 had more robust bass than Omega. However, I greatly preferred the midrange and treble presentation of the Omicron, Epsilon and Omega to the 3.7 and 20.7.

Ken

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I was referring to bass from Omicron and Omega, not Amphitryon. I auditioned Omicron and Omega at Mike's (U.S. Distributor). I found Magnepan 3.7 had more robust bass than Omicron and 20.7 had more robust bass than Omega. However, I greatly preferred the midrange and treble presentation of the Omicron and Omega to the 3.7 and 20.7.

Ken

how much space does one need for Amphitryons?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was referring to bass from Omicron and Omega, not Amphitryon. I auditioned Omicron and Omega at Mike's (U.S. Distributor). I found Magnepan 3.7 had more robust bass than Omicron and 20.7 had more robust bass than Omega. However, I greatly preferred the midrange and treble presentation of the Omicron and Omega to the 3.7 and 20.7.

Ken

Ok, I haven't heard the 20.7s. Was the Omega stock or with Mike's Duelund mods?

Lloyd, I heard the Amphis in a 23ft * 15 ft room, placed on the short wall. I think 20ft would have been ok too. Thing is bass might get overwhelming in smaller rooms, so might have to tone down on amps etc - pure speculation on my part.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
how much space does one need for Amphitryons?

They are big speakers, 7 ft(H) x 2 ft 4 in(W) x 2.8 in(D).

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing