Objectivists - what REALLY makes your blood boil?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
What I would love to hear is how objectivists bought their present system and how they will decide to buy something new, ever.

For me, it's not about the gear. It's about the music. Money isn't a factor as far as digital is concerned. In fact, it's the most esoteric and expensive gear which can the most flawed and incoherent in a well designed digital frontend, IME.

I use a microphone to measure what comes out of my speakers and I use software to correct where needed. I use room treatments and position speakers in a way where I get the best results. There's no recipe for great sound but it's important to use something outside your own ears to reference back so I can keep things on track.

For me, it's not about the gear. It's about the music. Money isn't a factor as far as digital is concerned. In fact, it's the most esoteric and expensive gear which can the most flawed and incoherent in a well designed digital frontend, IME.

I use a microphone to measure what comes out of my speakers and I use software to correct where needed. I use room treatments and position speakers in a way where I get the best results. There's no recipe for great sound but it's important to use something outside your own ears to reference back so I can keep things on track.

So you are correcting design faults in the speakers or that are the result of your room. I guess you are doing so digitally. Would you tolerate such corrections were they to ruin your sound? Would you buy speakers that measured better other than in frequency response?

I am certainly not saying that expensive is better, but most cheaper units don't prove competitive. Several that did are out of business now. Unfortunately, manufacturers often use their advertising to force magazines to harm small manufacturers attention by those magazines.

But all of this has little to do with the objectivist versus subjectivist argument. It really is about experiments to assess components rather than reviewer estimation of components.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What I would love to hear is how objectivists bought their present system and how they will decide to buy something new, ever.

True objectivists are supposed to hide their emotions and system evolution. They will not share such details, but will happily recommend you their favorite microphone for your measurements, although they all measure the same. ;)

True objectivists are supposed to hide their emotions and system evolution. They will not share such details, but will happily recommend you their favorite microphone for your measurements, although they all measure the same. ;)

I find it mystifying why the want measurements and never used them in their purchases. I should also say that I am a researching scientist. I would hate to think of measurements for wines or movies. I have also participated in many double blind comparisons and find them invalid assessments of what I find to be my tastes in music reproduction. There is a major difference between the same versus different task and listening to music.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
You ask a question to an "objectivist" and I answered it, although I don't concern myself with epistemological labels. Why concern yourself with why others buy gear? Why even concern yourself with the gear so much? The gear matters but everything else matters so much more. Do forum opinions make your listening better? Why worry about others opinions?

There's only one opinion which matters.

I find it mystifying why the want measurements and never used them in their purchases. I should also say that I am a researching scientist. I would hate to think of measurements for wines or movies. I have also participated in many double blind comparisons and find them invalid assessments of what I find to be my tastes in music reproduction. There is a major difference between the same versus different task and listening to music.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You ask a question to an "objectivist" and I answered it, although I don't concern myself with epistemological labels. Why concern yourself with why others buy gear? Why even concern yourself with the gear so much? The gear matters but everything else matters so much more. Do forum opinions make your listening better? Why worry about others opinions?

Maybe two depending on if you're married or not :D

You are right, of course, I just am perplexed by the thinking and logic of objectivists, but in reality don't really care much about their battle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing