Need opinions on 2 pieces

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
I am an admitted classical novice, so when I hear compelling pieces I need some counsel from the more experienced on performers/versions/recordings that are not only top performances, but sonically good as well. Here's my two for today:

Havanaise by Saint Saenz

Nimrod by Elgar

If there are multiple good choices that's fine as well. Thanks in advance!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Arthur,

I've thought about this for a bit. I'm not familiar with the Saint-Saens, so I can't comment. The Nimrod is part of the Enigma Variations, if that's what you intend. I have a good reading from Andrew Litton on Virgin Classics (will have to look, with over 2000 CDs, it'll take a while). Of course, Sir Adrian Boult produced several fine Elgar recordings too.

Here's the links:

Boult

http://www.amazon.com/Elgar-Variati...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1286249770&sr=1-1

Litton

http://www.amazon.com/Enigma-Variat...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1286249890&sr=1-3

I hope this helps. I'm sure that there are many other fine versions out there, but these are the only ones I personally can vouch for.

Lee

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
I am an admitted classical novice, so when I hear compelling pieces I need some counsel from the more experienced on performers/versions/recordings that are not only top performances, but sonically good as well. Here's my two for today:

Havanaise by Saint Saenz

My favorite performance is by Arthur Grumiaux. Here is an available CD;

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=59460

Arthur Grumiaux (Violin)
Conductor: Manuel Rosenthal
Orchestra/Ensemble: Lamoureux Concerts Association Orchestra

You also get the Introduction and Rondo capriccioso by Saint-Saens (another appealing short violin and orchestra work) and the Symphonie espagnole by Lalo. Grumiaux is my first choice in these pieces as well.

These are originally analog recordings from the 1960s or 1970s. The sound on the CD is realistic and to my ears very satisfactory. Typical Philips sound - natural sound but not as much detail as some recordings.

Bill

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
Arthur,

Have you picked up any of these suggested versions? I'd be interested to get your impressions.

Lee

Hi Lee, first let me say thanks to you, Kal and Bill for the suggestions, quite rude of me not to follow up. I have actually been so buried in work I haven't spent much system time lately and haven't picked up any music. I am going to listen to some samples and order some of these tonight while I have a break in the action...thanks for the reminder!

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM

Havanaise by Saint Saenz

Nimrod by Elgar

I used to have a killer recording of Enigma Variations with Duthoit and Montreal on Decca....you would have to check Amazon or Arkiv Music as it may or may not be in print any longer. I do not know why, but I swear I never heard a recording of Duthoit and Montreal I did not like....the performances and the sound they got in the St. Eustache Church was fantastic...

Cheers,

Maxim23

Oct 30, 2013

Havanaise by Saint Saenz

Nimrod by Elgar

hey, i would choose Havanaise by Saint Saenz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing