Listening chair...fixed or moveable ?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I recently changed out my fixed chair for a Herman Miller Aeron chair on roller casters. While there is a specific distance I should sit from my speakers based on setup...I find that different recordings can be optimized by having the ability to easily move closer or farther away from the speakers. Anyone else feel the same way ? I think in large rooms where you sit a good ways back, it might not be a benefit, but for me being a littler over 10' back, having the ability to easily move a bit closer or farther away yields a better listening experience.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Although it pains me a bit, I have to agree with you.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The chair I sit in gets moved around a bit, and god help me, I even sit in different chairs in the room because it sounds great just about everywhere!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I scoot my chair a few inches back and forth every now and then depending on the listening posture I adopt. When in veg out mode (more reclined) I tend to scoot my chair forward a bit.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
My seating position never stays in the exact location - lots of fun :D

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I do move my seating position back and forth within about a 8" area. There are some recording that benefit from a slight bass boost that I get from letting my chair get a bit closer to the wall behind my head. I do try and start from a fixed location but since my chair slides a bit as I get in and out of it the starting position is variable.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
when i'm in the room by myself I use my tall 'perfect chair' and it stays in one place....my ears at the top of the equilateral triangle with the tweeters. my room is large enough so that no matter the type of music or SPL's it has room to breathe so I don't need to move the position. typically my head is a couple inches forward of the headrest.

when I have visitors I move the Cassina K10 Dodo into the same position (and move the 'perfect chair' off to the side) since then the listeners behind are not blocked.

as far as positioning either chair; there are depressions in the carpet for the legs of the perfect chair; and I sight a couple of duplex outlets on either side of my symmetric room next to my speakers which nail and confirm the spot.

in the past I did use to move my chair forward or back or encourage visitors to do that. but since Kevin the speaker designer did the final setup last May I've had not thought to move the position and no one has even brought it up.

it's interesting that with -4- massive 7 foot tall 700+ pound towers so close to the listener that it does intimidate listeners visually initially; but once they close their eyes or I dim the lights no problem.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
These are concerns from audiophiles who care more about sound than they do the music. How sad that sound has become more important than the art you're presented with.
Who cares what chair you use. Be comfortable and enjoy.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
These are concerns from audiophiles who care more about sound than they do the music. How sad that sound has become more important than the art you're presented with.

and you know that how exactly?

my listening position allows the music to be the most real in my room. and the sound is besides the point. in fact; the less correct listening position localizes the sound more into the speaker comparatively. it is then 'more' sound from a driver.....not music.....in degrees.

not to say that I don't get great driver coherence from any position; only that there is one best position.

if you are trying to infer that caring about optimizing performance by speaker set-up and careful listening positioning is somehow wrong then i'd say that is wrong thinking. should we feel guilt that the music sounds better?

this is not about how much you pay for gear or even your chair. it's about simply optimizing your particular setup for optimal music enjoyment.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
and you know that how exactly?

my listening position allows the music to be the most real in my room. and the sound is besides the point. in fact; the less correct listening position localizes the sound more into the speaker comparatively. it is then 'more' sound from a driver.....not music.....in degrees.

reread your reply Mike.... you're still talking about sound and not music.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Pretty shortsighted there Johnny...

How is my view short-sighted? I merely pointed out that sound is more important than the music for you (and for others as well). I did so because I feel that many of you obsess about something that should only be a secondary consideration of this hobby. I get the sense that the only time you can appreciate music is when the sound coming from your system meets with your approval. Can you enjoy it when it doesn't? From what I've read in the years I've been here is that many can't.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Johnny,

Have you considered the other side of he coin? How about a person liking the music so much he simply wants to hear the performances that make it up as best he can in as comfortable a way as he can?

The way you make it sound is like there are a whole bunch of guys with rigid backs and necks sitting in a hyper alert state of obsession.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Johnny,

Have you considered the other side of he coin? How about a person liking the music so much he simply wants to hear the performances that make it up as best he can in as comfortable a way as he can?

The way you make it sound is like there are a whole bunch of guys with rigid backs and necks sitting in a hyper alert state of obsession.

Hi Jack!

Of course I have. I have a wonderful leather chair that I've positioned in the best possible place after listening to my system with various recordings. I'm not invalidating the importance of a good listening position, but to worry about it from recording to recording is foreign to me. I find that to be an obsessive exercise and that's why I said it's more about sound than it is the music.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
These are concerns from audiophiles who care more about sound than they do the music.

I don't agree with your statements, it's not true for me anyways - I can't answer for others - it's all about the music.

How sad that sound has become more important than the art you're presented with.

I sit in multiple seating positions and enjoy my music including while being in other areas while it's still playing. :D

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
How is my view short-sighted? I merely pointed out that sound is more important than the music for you (and for others as well). I did so because I feel that many of you obsess about something that should only be a secondary consideration of this hobby. I get the sense that the only time you can appreciate music is when the sound coming from your system meets with your approval. Can you enjoy it when it doesn't? From what I've read in the years I've been here is that many can't.

For you to presume we're only interested in sound quality and not the music is beyond presumptuous. It wreaks of envy Johnny. Grow up...this is a big boy forum. Talk about foot in mouth disease....

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm with Mike on this. My chair is optimized for that same spot Mike describes. Especially with Wilson speakers Christian. You bring yourself out of focus Christian when you move your chair that much. I just move my head and or position on the chair.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For you to presume we're only interested in sound quality and not the music is beyond presumptuous. It wreaks of envy Johnny. Grow up...this is a big boy forum.

LOLOLOL! Your post is beyond laughable to be quite honest. Get off your high horse and start listening to some music...not your system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing